• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Looking for books about Egyptian mythology & ritual

Someone's asking for help!

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,

Just what the title says. More academically correct the better of course. I have no interest reading about how Ra is actually an alien from Vega.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Awards
Rosemary Clark's books are quite good.
E.A. Wallace-Budge was thought to be the expert on Egypt for decades.
Post automatically merged:

I'd uploaded a few a ways back in time as well.

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I got this and read it - it's very entertaining and yet correct (as far as I know)
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Great, it has a kindle so I will get that one.

Rosemary Clark's books are quite good.
E.A. Wallace-Budge was thought to be the expert on Egypt for decades.

I'd uploaded a few a ways back in time as well.
These names sound familiar, latter wrote the translation of Book of the Dead I think?

Reaction score
Awards
Correct, in a edition to a few more.
Clark has written a few books which are quite good, not overly academic but academic and to the point.
Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts another one that is academic.
Pity my archaeology grandfather is no longer alive. You could try looking into George Glenn Cameron, my grandfather. He did extensive near east and some orient work.

Takacs, Gabor - Etymological Dictionary of Egyptian Vol 1.

Bob Brier - Ancient Egyptian Magic

? - The Little Book of Egyptian Hieroglyphs

Then there are the old papyri.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Oh .. keep in mind that as beautiful and interesting as it is, it is simply a text on how they dealt with the dead and guiding them to the afterlife.

You know, two vastly overlooked deities in Egypt were Ptah and Amun. Ra and Horus or Osiris can also be helpful.
Ptah was sort of the prime mover if you will, replaced by Amun then b Osiris. Now Horus is the new consciousness.
Another point is that most gods were territorial, not in terms go how humans are territorial, but where exactly they were worshipped.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Any chance you moved a bunch of file I uploaded on Egypt into the Egypt folder for benefactors? I was looking for a shit ton of books I uploaded, and cannot find many of them.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Any chance you moved a bunch of file I uploaded on Egypt into the Egypt folder for benefactors? I was looking for a shit ton of books I uploaded, and cannot find many of them.

No idea what you are talking about. Those are just books I uploaded for everyone here over time.

Reaction score
Awards
Don't forget that Cliff Notes used to have triple size/length of pages on world mythology bookd.
I want to say the Golden Bough, but there was a writer around that authors time that wrote on mythology, Joseph Campbell maybe? Or maybe Frazier.