• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Recommendation LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS!! (HIGH MAGICK)

Seeking or giving recommendations for books.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for a friend of mine. He's a newbie, and his main interests is Western Ceremonial Magick. I've shared with him a lot of my go-to books that have helped me when I was super new and had a developing interest in Magick. What he's searching for is a book or two on the basics of Ceremonial Magick. Specifically, one's that are written with the layman in mind. For example, someone that's new and really not familiar with say the LBRP. He's really interested in learning the basic rituals that a beginning initiate would be introduced to.
I've shown him a few You-Tube Channels that break things down. Channels that came in handy for me when I was just a newbie.
Looking for a few books that would give him some material to digest. Books that wouldn't be too hard for him to understand.
Anyone remember that commercial that use to come on TV? "So Easy a Cave Man Could Do IT?!?!?!" :cool: :ROFLMAO: :cool::LOL:
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Love&Light,
Shawn S

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

and

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
@KjEno186 Thank's for your suggestions, I will definitely pass the books along to him. I actually suggested Damien Echols YouTube Channel to him already. He's already halfway through Damien's High Magick 101 Series of video's. The book's will make a great addition to what he's already doing! I'm not familiar with , "The Ritual Magic Manual." I may take your suggestion and add that to my Que of books to read for myself!
Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🦃🦃

Reaction score
Awards
Skinner and King, "Techniques of High Magick" might be a good one.
Post automatically merged:

Or The Golden Dawn by Regardie.

Last edited:

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
In my opinion the one book that introduces you to everything, step by step, and gets you in the habit of doing High Magick daily, is the classic by DMK "Modern Magick".
Really the best out there.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
First of all, Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for a friend of mine. He's a newbie, and his main interests is Western Ceremonial Magick. I've shared with him a lot of my go-to books that have helped me when I was super new and had a developing interest in Magick. What he's searching for is a book or two on the basics of Ceremonial Magick. Specifically, one's that are written with the layman in mind. For example, someone that's new and really not familiar with say the LBRP. He's really interested in learning the basic rituals that a beginning initiate would be introduced to.
I've shown him a few You-Tube Channels that break things down. Channels that came in handy for me when I was just a newbie.
Looking for a few books that would give him some material to digest. Books that wouldn't be too hard for him to understand.
Anyone remember that commercial that use to come on TV? "So Easy a Cave Man Could Do IT?!?!?!" :cool: :ROFLMAO: :cool::LOL:
Thanks in advance for everyone's help.
Love&Light,
Shawn S
Why not just start with the LBRP? Regardie's The One Year Manual teaches not only magic, but patience as well.

Reaction score
Awards
If one wants a wealth of information to read, there is Crowley's Magick:Volumes I-IV. Or, again, Regardies The Golden Dawn.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Skinner and King, "Techniques of High Magick" might be a good one.

Or The Golden Dawn by Regardie.
Thanks Big Bro @Diluculo_DelFuego , That sounds like a book I'd like to check out personally.

Why not just start with the LBRP? Regardie's The One Year Manual teaches not only magic, but patience as well.
Thanks' for the suggestion, He's been working on the LBRP for a minute now and wants to start learning more rituals. But besides the actual rituals he's trying to learn the ins and outs of them, What, why, and Where. The how and why they actually work. One suggestion I already gave him was to take his time.

In my opinion the one book that introduces you to everything, step by step, and gets you in the habit of doing High Magick daily, is the classic by DMK "Modern Magick".
Really the best out there.
Thanks for the suggestion @Yazata , this sounds like another book I'd like to add to my list of books to read.

Last edited:

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
He's been working on the LBRP for a minute now and wants to start learning more rituals
When I bought Kraig's Modern Magick back in 2006, I was in a rush to "learn magick" too. It didn't really help that Kraig's writing was a bit of a jumble of ideas all thrown at the reader. Who the hell was Crowley? Who was Dion Fortune? Why am I being told about Judaism? (In 2006 I was beginning my atheist phase after disillusionment from Christianity and The Bible.) Why am I being taught to relax and calling it a 'ritual'? I found TWO journal entries from late 2006. I got bored and decided that if it's all psychology as Kraig insinuated, then I was wasting my time with magick and should just read books on psychology instead.

It took 15 years for me to get back to magick.

The reason why I recommended Damien Echols' book is because of his explanation:

Mostly what I come across [in the magick section of a book store] are spell books with titles like Love Spells or Prosperity Spells or something similar that offer the promise of obtaining something through magick. They’re essentially recipe books that tell you to collect a certain list of items, follow steps in a particular order, and you’re good. Well, when people take these books home and try them out and nothing happens, they think that magick doesn’t work. They followed the instructions but they didn’t get what they were hoping for, so they conclude that magick is just superstition or just one more form of blind belief.​
I probably shouldn’t say that spell books don’t work. It’s more the case that spell books don’t work if you lack the proper understanding of how magick works and you haven’t committed yourself to some crucial foundational practices. Unless you can direct raw power into spells, those books are worthless. You have to be able to put energy and intent and focus into your magick. Otherwise, spells and rituals are merely words.​
This part of the book is about getting clear on what the preliminaries are. These aren’t things you do a couple of times and call it good — they’re essential every time you practice magick. They’re what makes your magick work.
When I first became serious about studying magick, I came across elements that felt completely foreign to my life: planetary energies, angels, gods, thoughtforms, or dimensions of reality. On my path, there was a lot of memorization involved, and the rituals felt so strange and complicated. It was overwhelming and confusing, to say the least. How was I supposed to apply any of this stuff to my experience of daily life? Even when I encountered the foundational practices of meditation, visualization, and breath work, I had no idea what to do with them.​
In the beginning, it can be frustrating to figure out how all of this applies to real-world situations. If that happens to you, just remember that high magick is fundamentally about energy. Everything is made of energy, and we can shape and use energy to our benefit. Remember: you’re already doing magick all of the time. I’m just presenting some ways to help you get better at it and jump-start the process.​

Vandheer

Disciple
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Aside from what is already suggested,

Peregrin Wildoak - By Names and Images

Most modern Golden Dawn book out there, highly praised. Most of it you can find on this site but unfortunately some pages are omitted. So I will also suggest

Greer - Circles of Power

These two cover mainly Golden Dawn. A more comprehensive option is

Frater Barrabas - Mastering the Art of Ritual Magick

Its a trilogy and you can find all of the books online, I think there is also a version that combines the three. Aside from that he would definitely benefit from reading some Chaos Magick books. Last but not least while not neccesarily what you are looking for, I will also suggest

Christopher Penczak - Inner and Outer Temples of Witchcraft

Very underrated books, lots of internal training and also witchcraft material.

Well I think these suggestions and others' should keep him busy for years.

Reaction score
Awards
I might also add that each of us should read the book ... Any book on magic ... Cover to cover first, without doing anything. Then repeat with doing, treating each as if it were (they are) grimoires.
Once s/he masters then, take on Agrippas Three Books of Occult Pilosophy and Barretts The Magus. Then Levi.

Also .. Crowley Book4 and Magick Without Tears and Magick in Theory and Practice.