• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Loving god because he's perfect?? (Rufus Opus/hermetecism)

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah I like the how of hermetics never cared much for most of the why.

Now regarding beauty and perfection. First I’m with you on what makes someone physically/intellectually/mentally attractive and it isn’t what most people call perfection. Honestly “perfection” is just boring.

But trying to shoehorn what our physical selfs are taught is physical perfection over how our higher selves view the ineffable is not particularly useful imo.

-Eld

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Perhaps the Hermetic definition of "perfection" might not be fitting to what its common definition might be, yet you also admitted to feeling God's love of perfection yourself:

Perfection is not that something is flawless in the sense of having 20 on all of your stats, but that your individuality composed of flaws and strengths is itself perfect just the way it is because there is no 'right' or 'wrong' arrangements of strengths and weaknesses outside if duality where God hangs out. You love people for their faults and struggles, so does God, because everything in life struggles and is imperfect.

Loving this sense of infinitely unique and changing perfection may be what the original person may have been trying to express: you can go to the local Walmart and never see the exact same circus again, it's lovely!

And I think perhaps in the Hermetic philosiphy indulging in this form of loving observation brings you closer to God cause observing and loving is his shtick, right?
Somewhere above I plagiarize Ortega y Gasset's "immanent ideal," which seems to be what you speak of here. A thing is beautiful based on how its own parts are arranged with reference to, well, its own quiddity. That's why some people, ugly or overweight by any collective standard, are still beautiful. (I mean, hey, in his younger days John Goodman oozed a certain definite charisma.)

Still, Walmart strikes me as a reach. Personally I think a few pages were lost from Dante's Inferno. Say those treating of the third or fourth rings or so. Whatever Walmart might have been, the Stateside ones fall rather short of.