• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Magic Names?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
First, I am NOT asking for your mage-moniker. But how did you settle on one? Have you ever changed one? Why?

Me, I've generally had one pop into my mind in stress-situations about whither to wend on my way. The name has, both times, been a sort of answer to a then-pressing quandry. The one presented itself in Latin. The other was a short English phrase that, recast into ancient Greek, actually has a nice alliteration.

Reaction score
Awards
Name or motto?

My name I selected orinally as my old fraternity name. Later I selected one based on as close as possible to my magic system.
Others were suggested to me or shortened, such as Nightside (LHP tutor) or Fuego (fraternity).

Motto? Never selected one. I will be reinventing myself, before I consecrate geomancy stones.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I use different names on each forum. Don't want to make it too easy to be tracked

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Couldn't tell ya. I've spent a couple hours here or there trying to think of something but just felt like I was getting ready for a D&D party that nobody was gonna show up to :ROFLMAO:

O and while we're on the topic of names, I missed my chance to mock when you rage-quit the forum a while back. To me you're now known as Xeno: Warrior Pissiest. Glad to have your rampant attitude back, the irreverence makes me feel right at home.

Anziel_Merkaba

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
When I started my practice I went by Aquas Veritem, which was something that felt right at the time, but then as my practice matured, the name Anziel Merkaba came to me. I won't go into the specifics of why and how it came to me, but it does roughly translate to "Angel of the path to the throne of God". which is strongly in line with my raison d'etre. I like to provide assistance/guidance to people who are on their paths forward, not like a true teacher, but more like an advisor or guru.

If I had money, I'd probably live off the interest and spend my time wandering and generally doing wizard shit, and when I'm not doing that I'd probably be doing gamer shit or operator shit.

Zackalope

Neophyte
Reaction score
I've either taken or been given several names over the years, some I no longer feel fit me, some I've simply put in a box like old drivers licenses so to speak. It's not that they aren't still accurate reflections of me, they're just simply outdated, but I keep them around simply for the fact that some beings I work with still know me by them. I've been going by Zookus Magus after some interesting experiments in techno-paganism. Long story short, it's numerical value is equivalent to my own name which I find fascinating.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
First name I got in a dream when I was learning the runes. A five letter name that I saw on a stone. These five runes I assigned to the five points of the pentagram and from that formed a ritual / meditation (how Wunjo effects Isa etc)

Much later, Eligos kept addressing me with a title in answers he gave me. Then I asked Abaddon about this and he gave me a name. When I researched that name it is an Angel of a rank in Zoroastrianism - the rank that Eligos kept saying. I believe (a part of that) Angel is me and I refer to myself with that name, for instance in the Bornless Ritual.

I think the idea of Magickal names is to invoke something higher than your normal day-to-day self is, and if it is the name of a Deity or entity you (seek to) incorporate the qualities of that being into you. But I often wonder if it's a 2-way thing as well. Like, if it's common practice among people of a certain religion to name the first born son after their prophet, in the hope that the boy will develop into a man with that fame or character. If then millions of boys / men with that name act like pieces of shit: does that influence the original bearer of the name.

SIde note: I think it's hilarious when someone uses the name of an obscure Angel or entity and clearly doesn't know how the Name is spelled.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I find that entities respond best to names consisting of the sweetest, most badass combination of syllables possible. After much trial and error I settled on Nekroskeletor666

Rowena

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've had a few 'magical names' where group-membership (or during the 80s & 90s satanic panics - personal safety) required one, most of which were bad puns, jokes, or sarcastic in some way.
Otherwise I no longer have a use for them - I want my magic & my faith to have a firm foundation in the real world - so I try not to place divisions between them unnecessarily, and taking a magical name seriously would do that for me.
I do have a few pseudonyms that I use for other things though - like while sporting the ceremonial eye-patch & parrot.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Name or motto?

My name I selected orinally as my old fraternity name. Later I selected one based on as close as possible to my magic system.
Others were suggested to me or shortened, such as Nightside (LHP tutor) or Fuego (fraternity).

Motto? Never selected one. I will be reinventing myself, before I consecrate geomancy stones.
Either name or motto is ok to discuss
Post automatically merged:

Couldn't tell ya. I've spent a couple hours here or there trying to think of something but just felt like I was getting ready for a D&D party that nobody was gonna show up to :ROFLMAO:

O and while we're on the topic of names, I missed my chance to mock when you rage-quit the forum a while back. To me you're now known as Xeno: Warrior Pissiest. Glad to have your rampant attitude back, the irreverence makes me feel right at home.
That's actually a pretty good moniker. I'm trying to think of a proper heraldic device to embroider on my banner (yellow, of course.)
Post automatically merged:

First name I got in a dream when I was learning the runes. A five letter name that I saw on a stone. These five runes I assigned to the five points of the pentagram and from that formed a ritual / meditation (how Wunjo effects Isa etc)

Much later, Eligos kept addressing me with a title in answers he gave me. Then I asked Abaddon about this and he gave me a name. When I researched that name it is an Angel of a rank in Zoroastrianism - the rank that Eligos kept saying. I believe (a part of that) Angel is me and I refer to myself with that name, for instance in the Bornless Ritual.

I think the idea of Magickal names is to invoke something higher than your normal day-to-day self is, and if it is the name of a Deity or entity you (seek to) incorporate the qualities of that being into you. But I often wonder if it's a 2-way thing as well. Like, if it's common practice among people of a certain religion to name the first born son after their prophet, in the hope that the boy will develop into a man with that fame or character. If then millions of boys / men with that name act like pieces of shit: does that influence the original bearer of the name.

SIde note: I think it's hilarious when someone uses the name of an obscure Angel or entity and clearly doesn't know how the Name is spelled.
Of course, some Goetic names have alternative spellings. And frequently Latin butchers the names coming from Hebrew, Sumerian, and what have you. Not the least of Jesus' sufferings must have been the Greek, Latin, and modern European manglings of "Yeshua."

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Magic Names?
SUBTIOPIC: The Reality
⁜→ Xenophon, et al,

(OPENING)

Names for the supernatural, divine minds, deities, undetectable entities, and spiritual apparitions are just a matter of language. The sacred names assigned to secret places to protect important relics are not words of power. A name does not determine a relationship between the supernatural, divine minds, deities, undetectable entities, and spiritual apparitions with humanity or any particular species member.

First, I am NOT asking for your mage-moniker. But how did you settle on one? Have you ever changed one? Why?
(COMMENT)

Wiping away all the extraneous beliefs and other unsupported conjecture for the Supreme Being (
the assumption of an Olodumare) or anything created by the First Cause is simply that → unsupported theory or conjecture (no recognizable evidence).

The basic question is: Does a mysterious power of an unknown origin control destiny (
ayanmo) (and all its associations)? Does this mysterious power control future events?

The basic concept is that any Olodumare would know (being
omniscient) without regard to the name used, would understand any attempt to contact the Ultimate Power. This is an example of conductivity between the created and the creator.

1705961662938-png.891810

Most Respectfully,
R

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Magic Names?
SUBTIOPIC: The Reality
⁜→ Xenophon, et al,

(OPENING)

Names for the supernatural, divine minds, deities, undetectable entities, and spiritual apparitions are just a matter of language. The sacred names assigned to secret places to protect important relics are not words of power. A name does not determine a relationship between the supernatural, divine minds, deities, undetectable entities, and spiritual apparitions with humanity or any particular species member.

(COMMENT)

Wiping away all the extraneous beliefs and other unsupported conjecture for the Supreme Being (
the assumption of an Olodumare) or anything created by the First Cause is simply that → unsupported theory or conjecture (no recognizable evidence).

The basic question is: Does a mysterious power of an unknown origin control destiny (
ayanmo) (and all its associations)? Does this mysterious power control future events?

The basic concept is that any Olodumare would know (being
omniscient) without regard to the name used, would understand any attempt to contact the Ultimate Power. This is an example of conductivity between the created and the creator.

1705961662938-png.891810

Most Respectfully,
R
Mebbe true enough. But most magickal operations do not aim to address the #1 Entity. Indeed, some of us tend to doubt there is such, at least in any form one can address. My query had to do with lower-level transactions.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be called Lucyfer with a Y in the middle when I was a Satanist, and then a Luciferian. But now, on a brighter scale. I go by Konsciencia which is Consciousness in Spanish.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I used to be called Lucyfer with a Y in the middle when I was a Satanist, and then a Luciferian. But now, on a brighter scale. I go by Konsciencia which is Consciousness in Spanish.
You could morph that into "Konscyencia." Or better yet, "Konscyenzia." Spelling is like Tabasco sauce: a dash works wonders.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I should make it like that. Looks cool! Great ideas
Only problem is "Konscyenzia" looks more Magyar than Madrileño. (Is Magyars problems? Certainly seems ol' Orban Viktor is makin' the EU buttsore of late.)

art-vark2323

Neophyte
Reaction score
I used to call myself Ambrose for a little while but after some time passed, I stopped using it and never really picked it back up again. It wasn't really satisfying to use and it's not like I ever had anyone around me who would use it. I prefer using my real name now!

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
His username frightens me for some odd reason.
Badass names are like little boys putting on dad's combat boots. There are scores of Beelzebubs and Belphegors eking out a half-life in Mum's basement, interspersed with trips to the liquor store and playground-ogling expeditions.

Robert Ramsay

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Badass names are like little boys putting on dad's combat boots. There are scores of Beelzebubs and Belphegors eking out a half-life in Mum's basement, interspersed with trips to the liquor store and playground-ogling expeditions.
I met someone at a party who told me with a straight face that his name was 'Magus'.