• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Magick Fasting?

Someone's asking for help!

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Lately i have learned that in preparation for the great work there are some cleansing/purity issues at hand
Abstinence, baths and such but among them fasting
Now my question is - are we talking about general fasting or is there an Occult variation, some gastronomical protocol?
since im sure that many plant and animal sources each come with their own gimmick
any suggestions for a wide full week selection of food choices for the purpose of purifying?

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Fasting has 2 main uses imho:
  • purity - purging your system of fecal matter
  • dissociation - removing yourself from worldly desires (and in this case "needs") to achieve a higher level of consciousness
Both of them, if you're trying to achieve the full effect, require complete fasting, however, the procedure may vary depending on the circumstance IF you do not want to achieve the full effect.

For example, if you want purity but not complete fasting, you can avoid foods that you deem impure. If you want the effect of freeing yourself from worldly desires while not completely fasting, you can try abstaining from opulent or decadent foods. Either way it would depend mostly on your chosen paradigm. For example, if you were practicing middle eastern magick, you may decide to exclude pork or non-halal foods from your diet. A buddhist path may require you sacrifice animal products entirely, or even require you to seek sustenance via donation rather than your own preparation.

In western magick, I'm unsure whether anything less than complete fasting will have any measurable effect, but again, it would depend on your practice/paradigm.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Mhm...

And if we were to say build on the paradigm away from purifying and more to affinity such as focus on only one element like fire
or only to a particular alignment from whatever planet/zodiac/spirit the preferences should be easily determined

Last but not least there is the eucharist, Crowley dropped a whole riddle about the Egg being the perfect choice
yet this can also be played around with to suit personal preference.
I began this thread thinking it would be an rpg type " apple = +2 to strength/ mushroom + 2 to mana" type of thing
But you have set me on the right way of thinking. Im already brimming with ideas and inspiration
Simple yet deceptively effective, thank you.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Lately i have learned that in preparation for the great work there are some cleansing/purity issues at hand
Now my question is - are we talking about general fasting or is there an Occult variation, some gastronomical protocol?
since im sure that many plant and animal sources each come with their own gimmick
any suggestions for a wide full week selection of food choices for the purpose of purifying?
I know of one group that calls for a week on a straight bread diet and only ice-chips for water. That'll purify you, I'm pretty sure. It's from a Nordic-oriented working.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
If I'm not mistaking, in the Grimoires fasting means no meat. Just like the Catholic fast (or lent I think it's called in English?)
As (mostly) LHP practitioners do magick for hire they naturally removed that. Gotta be ready at all times to collect someone else's dollars. As with abstinence.
Post automatically merged:

eucharist
This is about sexmagick. In the vocabulaire of the OTO the eucharist is sperm.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If I'm not mistaking, in the Grimoires fasting means no meat. Just like the Catholic fast (or lent I think it's called in English?)
As (mostly) LHP practitioners do magick for hire they naturally removed that. Gotta be ready at all times to collect someone else's dollars. As with abstinence.
Post automatically merged:

This is about sexmagick. In the vocabulaire of the OTO the eucharist is sperm.
For that matter, revelations about the Church of Rome indicate some confusion about the eucharist and sperm, as least so far as altar boys and archbishops are concerned.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
For that matter, revelations about the Church of Rome indicate some confusion about the eucharist and sperm, as least so far as altar boys and archbishops are concerned.
In the Greek Magical Papyri there are a lot of references to using young boys in rituals, as well as performing the ceremonies in a "cheerful" state.
There's also the dancing boys in islam. But please make another thread if you want to talk about that .

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In the Greek Magical Papyri there are a lot of references to using young boys in rituals, as well as performing the ceremonies in a "cheerful" state.
There's also the dancing boys in islam. But please make another thread if you want to talk about that .
Um...actually I just intended the one snarky reference.

Reaction score
Awards
There was a Rosicrucianism diet that they put adepts through starting with Adeptus Minor, the 5=6 grade. It consisted of roughly a handful of foods, the only one I can think of offhand were dates. Nick Farrell wrote about it in one of his later books.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
There was a Rosicrucianism diet that they put adepts through starting with Adeptus Minor, the 5=6 grade. It consisted of roughly a handful of foods, the only one I can think of offhand were dates. Nick Farrell wrote about it in one of his later books.
Interesting. That's the thought process i started out with. If you remember more details hit me up.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
One reason to fast is it can make you feel a little spacey and strange - it's easier to get into a trance/ritual mindset.

This would be a short but relatively complete fast. So 24 or 36 hours with only water (ie a full day-night cycle, or night-day-night then ritual in the morning)

(If you currently have caffeine every day, you should have black coffee or a caffeine pill on the fast day. That's not very "pure" but if you're having caffeine daily then you're just going to get a headache and feel sleepy if you suddenly go cold turkey. If you want to have a caffeine-free fast, you need to cease caffeine 10 days beforehand so you're not going through withdrawal during the ritual)

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think there’s merit to fasting, but it’s not essential.

I have noticed I feel more connected to my rituals in the morning after waking up and not eating, just drinking a tea or something, rather than doing them before bed after eating all day and solidifying my connection to the material realm more.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Stanley Clark's "What to Eat & When" is touted at
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
I don't know that it's a "Rosicrucian diet" as such, or just one that those claiming the Rosicrucian title today happen to like. Actual, authentic documents from the original order are pretty scarce and highly disputed.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
One time, I fasted for three days straight, no food, no water. I paid the price afterwards, because I ate heavy, and I got sick. Now, if I fast, it'll be for a specific purpose and water at least.

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
One time, I fasted for three days straight, no food, no water. I paid the price afterwards, because I ate heavy, and I got sick. Now, if I fast, it'll be for a specific purpose and water at least.
If you're to give up food completely for some time, you can't eat a lot at once afterwards. You need to get back to normal slowly and eat a little at first.

Though I personally wouldn't recommend such a stress for the body at all, but each to their own.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
If you're to give up food completely for some time, you can't eat a lot at once afterwards. You need to get back to normal slowly and eat a little at first.

Though I personally wouldn't recommend such a stress for the body at all, but each to their own.
Yes... I am aware of that. Like what I'll do, is eat an apple or fruit of any kind after I fast.