• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Magickal Motivation

whimsicalwarlock

Neophyte
Reaction score
So, I've been reading into all things magickal and bouncing around from one 'genre' to the next reading about this style of magic and that style of magic as you do as a beginner looking for what fits.

I have found lots of things I find interesting and lots of things I find confusing. But at the end of the day i enjoy learning everything I can because magick just fascinates me.

One thing I've struggled with is my consistency (or lack thereof) with performing daily rituals (banishings, blessings, protection spells, etc)
I can be inspired and do well for two weeks or so, maybe more, and then somewhere along the way my motivation just fizzles out and I can go quite some time without doing any of it. Even though I enjoy it, i find it difficult to truly stick with it. Its like a mental exhaustion takes hold or something and i just lose all desire to continue with practices, even when I notice a tangible improvement in my mood, vibe, perspective, etc while I am keeping up with it.

To wrap things up, my question is/are
Does anyone else seem to struggle with the continuity/dedication/motivation of doing consecutive daily rituals?
If so, do you do anything about it or just ride it out?
And is there anything that might help me find the motivation to keep it up instead of falling into a sort of hiatus or rut with it?
I

Reaction score
Awards
Just do it, it doesn't have to be perfect, perfection comes with practice persistently (daily).
There are some days I dont do anything. I promise everything under the sun and now have to take my own advice.
Motivation? To each their own, but there has to be a need. Magick does not generally give you everything you want, unless you go Team Demon.

My advice: Get up at 6am, do morning solar adoration
Do adoration to the Lord of the Universe
Do the LBRP
Do the MP
Meditate, journal and observe.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, it is a constant struggle. And now I can only imagine how far I would have been along the path had I not given up the first time way back in 2007 when I bought my first book on magic, Modern Magick by Kraig.

Every book on magic directed towards beginners suggests a practice that takes just 30 minutes a day: ten minutes each of a banishing ritual, a meditation, and a divination. It sounds so simple, yet for some reason no matter how committed one feels at the beginning, a couple weeks later there is a nagging desire to procrastinate. This is the first test, a test of one's Will. When that moment comes along, stomp your foot and ask, "Who is in charge here anyway?"

Beware, that little demon will try to convince you that "tomorrow" you'll make it up with extra work! It's a sneaky way to get you out of balance. People who do a whole lot all at once and then nothing at all for a while are imbalanced and ultimately accomplish nothing. I'd also warn against adding more things to your daily practice, which in the beginning can only complicate things unnecessarily, adding to the feeling of burden. Do the best you can with a banishing, a meditation, and a divination. Meanwhile, you'll be reading on Qabala and the Tree of Life and gradually letting these teachings be absorbed into your subconscious. It simply cannot happen all at once, and those who try to force the matter will, once again, fizzle out and fail. Think Turtle, not Rabbit! 🐢🐇

whimsicalwarlock

Neophyte
Reaction score
Just do it, it doesn't have to be perfect, perfection comes with practice persistently (daily).
There are some days I dont do anything. I promise everything under the sun and now have to take my own advice.
Motivation? To each their own, but there has to be a need. Magick does not generally give you everything you want, unless you go Team Demon.

My advice: Get up at 6am, do morning solar adoration
Do adoration to the Lord of the Universe
Do the LBRP
Do the MP
Meditate, journal and observe.
Good advice. I appreciate the reply. If you dont mind me asking what are the adorations you're referring to and what is the MP?
(very much a newbie)

Lazarus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Chiming in to say this is very common. I think it takes 60-90 days for a new habit to solidify in the mind (exact number varies depending on source).

some helpful advice I received when I was starting out: those days when you don’t feel up to it, and you make yourself do it anyway… That’s when the most powerful magic is happening.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Good advice. I appreciate the reply. If you dont mind me asking what are the adorations you're referring to and what is the MP?
(very much a newbie)
Hope you don't mind me answering instead. The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP) is considered by most to be an essential daily banishing practice to be followed by the Middle Pillar Ritual (MP). You can find videos about LBRP on YouTube. Solar Adorations are short prayers offered four times a day at sunrise, noon, sunset, and before bed. The Adoration to the Lord of the Universe is likewise a prayer. You probably should look in the forum library for Modern Magick if you're interested in an introduction to the Hermetic (Golden Dawn) tradition, though keep in mind that there are many, many variations (as many variations as there are books and authors). And a word of encouragement: Don't imagine for a moment that you must have the right tools (robe, wand, cup, incense, etc.) before you can begin doing anything. Magick happens in the mind. The tools are secondary unless and until you begin to create talismans and perform evocations later on.

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
So, I've been reading into all things magickal and bouncing around from one 'genre' to the next reading about this style of magic and that style of magic as you do as a beginner looking for what fits.

I have found lots of things I find interesting and lots of things I find confusing. But at the end of the day i enjoy learning everything I can because magick just fascinates me.

One thing I've struggled with is my consistency (or lack thereof) with performing daily rituals (banishings, blessings, protection spells, etc)
I can be inspired and do well for two weeks or so, maybe more, and then somewhere along the way my motivation just fizzles out and I can go quite some time without doing any of it. Even though I enjoy it, i find it difficult to truly stick with it. Its like a mental exhaustion takes hold or something and i just lose all desire to continue with practices, even when I notice a tangible improvement in my mood, vibe, perspective, etc while I am keeping up with it.

Does anyone else seem to struggle with the continuity/dedication/motivation of doing consecutive daily rituals?
And is there anything that might help me find the motivation to keep it up instead of falling into a sort of hiatus or rut with it?
I
There's this meme I saw recently that sums up the reality of motivation and fits nicely here. :LOL:

ofbg50li0bx71.png

Motivation is a transient thing that will always slip from your fingers eventually, so if you rely on motivation to keep yourself moving forward, you'll keep falling behind.
For those familiar with the Elemental Temperaments, motivation is a fire compound that burns out quickly by itself, it needs to contained and tempered into a solid, lasting foundation through Earthy discipline.

When you are motivated, it is good to establish a daily routine and long-term goal(s) that you will hold yourself accountable for, but for the road between the start and finish, discipline is the key that will keep you moving forward even when your motivation fades.

As someone who has been practicing hours a day for almost two decades straight, I've long lost the pleasant fervor and motivation I had when I was younger and I'm 99% driven by discipline these days.
I simply have concrete goals and an attitude which despises laziness and weakness, and that's what keeps me from neglecting practice and falling behind.
If I find myself procrastinating or feeling like passing on my exercises, I quickly get angry and force myself to do it anyways.
Even if that means cramming an hour or two of straight practice right before bed, or even foregoing sleep until I complete my work.
I only ever miss practice these days if external circumstances prevent it, or I'm literally too exhausted by other things to mentally function enough to practice.
As Bardon says in the IIH - be understanding of others shortcomings, but merciless towards yourself. That is how you'll succeed in magic in the long run.

Reaction score
Awards
One thing I find is lack of motivation as I mentioned at times, and yes, getting off your ass and doing it to do it is key as others have pointed out.
One thing is to meditate, I find it often pointless, but on occasion Im shown how to look at things a different way.
Finally, desire, and passion, you have to either create them yourself or recall times when you felt that, and try to immerse yourself in that moment to relight your internal lamp that still has oil in it.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: General Occult Discussion
SUBTOPIC: ≈ Magickal Motivation
⁜→ et al,

Witches, Wizards, Warlocks, and other Metaphysical Practitioners in the arts of witchcraft who exhibit undefinable intellectual developmental disorders may also have difficulties with behaviors and emotions, interpersonal relationships, and maintaining motivation in a large segment of the lifetime learning process.
(COMMENT)

It might be very much the case that you are asking for something that will not address the issue of your motivation. You might be better-off if you ask the Guardians that dispense your magic for a "cure" - as opposed to mental motivation. (See my last Comment)

(COMMENT)

Magic is an adjunct to a lifestyle.

(COMMENT)

Yes, - when I read this, I was pushed to think that you need to place more faith in your knowledge of magic, your skill in applying magic, and your ability to focus your energy. Instead of asking the Guardians for help in "acquiring" more or better motivation, you might be more productive to ask your magic to "cure" you - or to - "heal" you from the Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities that prevent you from forgetting your rituals and focusing your attention on a "cure" by asking to be "healed." Magic is everywhere. I'm not sure how old you are, but there is someplace where you sit every day. (We will call this place "Z.")

(THE PRESCRIPTION)

Your "Z" can be the mirror in the bathroom or the vanity table where you brush your hair. "Z" can be something like a remote control for some appliance.

I once set up (for a retired lady) a small but sturdy cardboard box. I went to Lowes Hardware and purchases a single floor tile, a tube of super-glue, and a dented candle. This Lady drank "Ice Mountain" fresh water from an 8-ounce tube. And then I stop at St Pius X Church. Using the small 8-ounce tube, I filled it with Holy Water from the bowl at the entrance.

I placed the box, and a small pillow on the floor about 5' away from the bed off to the side she comes off every day. I covered the box with a hand towel. I put the rock tile on top of the towel. The scented candle on the rock tile. I put the 8-ounce sealed (with the super-glue) plastic container with Holy water inside the box. I printed a very nice "Seal of Solomon." In the center of the Seal, I put her name in Hebrew below the adoration "Protect Us All." And there you have a small, inexpensive alter - that smells good.

The hard part writing a one or two-line devotion/adoration/prayer with no burden to say.

1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R

Reaction score
Awards

I
Yes.
Ride it out.
Plant your feet in the swamp and push forward.