• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Martial arts

Jarhyn

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So, another element that I have been trying to incorporate into my spiral of martial basis is to employ certain skills once learned in the rhythm of life.

To occasionally place certain obstacles in ones path, not so as to make one fall, but to learn to avoid the real ones more readily.

It strikes me that I learned this in a couple of shitty western Kung Fu movies and then The Karate Kid, more from the Jackie Chan version than the one I actually grew up on.

Hopefully not he bonsai tree I started doesn't die this time...

Anyway, crossing the street at a light is "move fast and low and sudden across unsure terrain and threat of enemy fire".

Commuting to work has a hill placed in my chosen route which forces me to learn "quick, up the hill".

I expect that most of the time people might perceive it as "clumsiness" when I shift my weight so as to fall in a single "stumble" to where, and the orientation I mean to be in. Really, I'm making an explicit throw of my whole body.

As I do this I am practicing stances, movement, postures, balance, and kinesthetic Sense.

This is in its own way a magic.

Perhaps this was the message of those movies, not about fighting but about living in such a way so as to grow.

LostYeoman

Neophyte
Reaction score
I’ve trained 4 years in judo, participated in the two-week krav crash course (without the bullshit added on from other martial arts and rebranded), just under a year for a variant of Keysi, and I am currently studying techniques from the likes of Silat, savate and sambo, as well as learning the fundamentals of Muay Thai and modern MMA.

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone here do martial arts, if so what art or arts do you do.

I myself don’t but as I get closer to 40 I’m interested in the health benefits.
Did Take Kwon Do for my second belt as a kid and quit because I didn't want to break my hand punching a piece of wood.
As an adult took To Shin Do for three years. Good benefits. Some self defense remembered after years of non study.
Was in shape, now out of shape.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I have been disqualified by Japanese Kumite jurors for punching a renowned jap black-belt to the ground without even touching him. Witchery, they said.
All lies and jest 'till a man sees what he wants to see - and disregards the rest.

Dre_87

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've had some experience with martial arts and combat styles like boxing, wrestling, Taekwondo, kung fu, Jeet kune do, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and also a bit of like Qigong too as well.
Post automatically merged:

I've had some experience with martial arts and combat styles like boxing, wrestling, Taekwondo, kung fu, Jeet kune do, Muay Thai, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and also a bit of like Qigong too as well.
Combat Qigong to be able to do the death touch Dim Mak, 7-point exploding heart technique..From a distance too.

Amur

Acolyte
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Post automatically merged:

Combat Qigong to be able to do the death touch Dim Mak, 7-point exploding heart technique..From a distance too.
I can show you how to do the death touch Dim Mak if you get it too freaky.

Dre_87

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I can show you how to do the death touch Dim Mak if you get it too freaky.
My 'chi' powers are strong, I'm like a fucken Jedi-master......(((((((..i..))))))).......

Diluculo_DelFuego

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards

Be very discerning.
I took To-Shin Do at the local Stephen K Hayes Quest Martial Arts center dojo. It was good and great health benefits - rolling alone proficiently will strengthen your abs in no time - however, if you smoke, that can be a problem, so quit smoking first. No alcohol either, due to possible dehydration. Drink a gallon of water a day.
To-Shin Do, as a modernized Nijitsu saved my life one night when hit from behind this guy I passed, and rolled out of the way as he came in to stomp me from behind. I also talked my way out of the fight, which was the most important thing. I got home safely after finding my phone, which is THE most important thing.
That is my one critique of QMA - there are no tournaments to test your skills, only sparring with people of your rank or below, and no real life situation until the SHTF.

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards

I've been involved with Taekwondo since my earliest youth thanks to my father, who ended up being an instructor for a local ITF Dojo for a while.
But I eventually branched out into Aikido and Wing Chun to create a more balanced fighting system for myself, though as I have gotten older, the latter two have become the core of my practical style.
Wing Chun has a wonderfully effective system of strike deflection and counter-attacks, and Aikido can end a fight in a single, well-timed execution when the opportunity presents itself.

But my father was a man who grew up in jail and ghetto foster homes, so his perspective always emphasized practical application, which was a perspective passed on to me as well, so I enjoy bare-knuckle sparring and putting martial arts to the test.
I often sparred with my best friend, who was a boxer, and he was always quite impressed by these "whimsical" asian martial arts actually standing their ground in combat. He said watching me endlessly deflect attacks was like watching a robot, and neither of us will ever forget the few times I tossed him like a sack of potatoes across the yard.:ROFLMAO:

Can't quite comment on the current state of Dojos, since everything I learned and practiced was either from my father or learned on my own.
I know that many Dojos these days are neglecting practical application and combat conditioning, though.

Be very discerning.
I took To-Shin Do at the local Stephen K Hayes Quest Martial Arts center dojo. It was good and great health benefits - rolling alone proficiently will strengthen your abs in no time - however, if you smoke, that can be a problem, so quit smoking first. No alcohol either, due to possible dehydration. Drink a gallon of water a day.

I don't think it is necessary to abstain from smoking or drinking to seriously engage with martial arts.
As with pretty much everything else in life, moderation is key - I don't understand why humans have such a black-and-white relationship with these things.
I'm not only engaged with martial arts, but I'm very active in Reenactment and the sport of Airsoft, yet I smoke a pipe once every other day without any trouble with my health or performance.

Don't drink everyday like your wife just left you, and don't smoke like a chain-smoking cat lady, and you'll be fine. :LOL:

My only advice to smokers in particular - switch to a pipe/pipe tobacco or cigars as your main source of tobacco. You'll spare your lungs of the possible damage that would be inflicted by cigarettes thanks to the difference in smoking technique, and you'll avoid many of the chemicals that makes cigarettes so unhealthy.