• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Club "Modern Magick:Twelve Lessons in the High Magical Arts" by Donald Kraig

A communal reading and discussion exercise for a particular book/series.
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,

As this is a classic primer on Magick, white, gray or black, I am working through it (on Lesson three for the next three to six months), and thought I would open up a discussion on it.

Lesson One teaches basic principles of Magick, introduces the diaries you should keep (along with a sample format ), the tarot majors meanings, a simple handful of rituals and a tarot spread.
Lesson two is considered the Neophyte grade along with lesson ones material, and introduces you to the Qabalistic Cross Ritual and LBRP.
lesson three os considered the Zelator grade, and introduces you to the element of earth, the IOB, dealing with psychic attack and more.

id love for a discussion to occur with others who have worked with or are working with the book.
Post automatically merged:

Earlier I did a Relaxation Ritual and Middle Pillar Ritual combined lying down on my bed. I started with imagining a golden ball of light warm to the touch at my feet, and a bright white ball of light on my head as I silently chanted the God-Name Eieyeh, (eight times). By the time a white ball of light was encircling my throat, the Golden ball of light was covering my feet to knees, relieving any pain or tension, as I silently chanted YHVH Elohim(again eigjt times). As a ball of white light was forming in my chest, the golden light was covering my feet to hips, I silently chanted (again eight times) the godname YHVH Eloah ve Daath. As I had a bright white ball of light covering my groin, the Golden light covered my feet to shoulders and arms, I chanted (again eight times) the godname Shaddai El Chai. As the white ball of light encircled my feet, the Golden light had spread my entire body. I turn chanted (eight times) the godname Adonai Ha Aretz. I let the energy circulate a bit, and resumed normal waking consciousness.

Last edited:

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,

As this is a classic primer on Magick, white, gray or black, I am working through it (on Lesson three for the next three to six months), and thought I would open up a discussion on it.

Lesson One teaches basic principles of Magick, introduces the diaries you should keep (along with a sample format ), the tarot majors meanings, a simple handful of rituals and a tarot spread.
Lesson two is considered the Neophyte grade along with lesson ones material, and introduces you to the Qabalistic Cross Ritual and LBRP.
lesson three os considered the Zelator grade, and introduces you to the element of earth, the IOB, dealing with psychic attack and more.

id love for a discussion to occur with others who have worked with or are working with the book.

Earlier I did a Relaxation Ritual and Middle Pillar Ritual combined lying down on my bed. I started with imagining a golden ball of light warm to the touch at my feet, and a bright white ball of light on my head as I silently chanted the God-Name Eieyeh, (eight times). By the time a white ball of light was encircling my throat, the Golden ball of light was covering my feet to knees, relieving any pain or tension, as I silently chanted YHVH Elohim(again eigjt times). As a ball of white light was forming in my chest, the golden light was covering my feet to hips, I silently chanted (again eight times) the godname YHVH Eloah ve Daath. As I had a bright white ball of light covering my groin, the Golden light covered my feet to shoulders and arms, I chanted (again eight times) the godname Shaddai El Chai. As the white ball of light encircled my feet, the Golden light had spread my entire body. I turn chanted (eight times) the godname Adonai Ha Aretz. I let the energy circulate a bit, and resumed normal waking consciousness.
One of the best books written. I always suggest it to those starting their journey.

Reaction score
Awards
Agree. If you digest every word to the limits of your mental capacity, you could become a fairly good magician by use of his book.

Reading through Lessons two and three.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Book Share:

Thank you for the share so that others can join along, at any stage of the journey of the book. Feel free to chime in daily with your experiences of the book, good, bad, or neutral.
For example, Earth exercises...I note daily what I come across that has the qualities of coolness and dryness. I also am doing a simultaneous relaxation ritual (lesson one) and middle pillar ritual (lesson two) before I go to sleep, so that the warm golden light fills me from my feet to my head, and the morning goes from head to toe at the same time.

I find it difficult to come up with snazzy new ideas for the earth list (Lesson Three, exercise one), and find many are duplicated.
Perhaps this is the point, that certain things we dont think about come from the earth or are associated with elements of earth.
I guess it is time to move onto exercise two out of Lesson three.

Lesson Two and Three continues as I find myself backtracking to Kabbalah.

All in all, lessons one through three were easy to absorb.

Making tools on a strict non existent budget, not so much.

Still going through Lesson three, yet finding value still in Lessons one and two.

My advice:
1. Commit to working through it
2. Read every single word and understand it. So not rush through.
3. Work from Lesson one to Lesson twelve.
4. Reevaluate your work, Dream Diary and Ritual Diary afterwards.
5. Post your Lesson experiences here.

A question came to me on Lesson One:
You ever do the Tarot Contemplation Ritual per Kraig?

My response:
What you do is take out VI, VII, XIII, XV, XVI, XVIII from the deck and place aside. Shuffle the rest.
Vibrate YHVH as you shuffle, even speaking it into the top of the cards being shuffled.
Divide into two piles, placing topmost to the left. Leave space in between the piles.
From the right stack, pull half that pile up and place to the left in between.
From the far left, take half the pile and place to the left.
As you vibrate YHVH, knock once on each pile right to left.
Assemble pile, placing rightmost on top of the three piles, each right to left.
Turn top card over. Meditate on it 5-15 min.

Those six cards set aside are not included and not turned over.

RW is highly recommended for the Ritual. It's a combination actually, he doesnt really say it, but you can use Tarot Keys (Majors) with sound and color therapy.
So for example, if youre anxious and pull The Fool, you might find your anxiety decreases.
Alchemy second. Many if not all the Majors have a distinct alchemical stage or process in itself.

The TCR on its own is to familiarize yourself with Tarot, increase meditation skill, and provide daily insight.

Another question.
IOB from Lesson Three - not working.

Answer:
..Practice, practice, practice... As Kraig would say.

It's an advanced form of the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram. Most assume Earth Banishing as we are taught.

Yet there are five elements.

Disturbing material conditions - Earth
Disturbing beliefs/thoughts - Air
Disturbing emotions/mom - Water
Disturbing actions/dad - Fire
All else fails - invoke active Spirit.

And I will take my 9en advice, as I often use all the majors 8n the TCR, and IOB has not worked for me.

Practice, practice, practice ... Nobody is going to hand us magic powers. But they can teach us what worked for them.

In the past two days, I have been trying the Lesson One tarot spread, the Split Hexagram Spread.

I have also learned an alternative technique, by dealing first from the top, then dealing from the bottom, side by side.
It proposes two flip sides of looking at the situation.

It is also a straight forward spread, two Spiritual influences, a Greater and Lesser SI (GSI, LSI). These may be considered alchemical such as the Lesser Circulation and the Greater Circulation.
It then has a card pulled for Spiritual Advice (SA).
This takes the upper form of a Water triangle.

Then the lower Fire triangle is formed by the Unconscious Desire, the Conscious Desire (UD, CD), and Practical Advice (PA).

Bridging the SA and PA is FO, the Final Outcome, if both sets of advice are followed.

Finally, the Interpretation - using the Lesson One card meanings table of only the Majors used, you logically infer the meanings as opposed to intuition, though that may also be used as long as the meanings from the book are considered.

I also turn over the top card of the remaining deck as a further meaning (not by the book). I also look at the bottom of the deck card.

Lesson three - the IOB.
This is usually done as the LBRP from Lesson One. A slight twist - you are to recognize (Identify) the issue or entity, turn its force into form (Objectify), and send it away from your sphere of sensation (Banish).

As Ive stated before, there are five elements, the LBRP commonly uses one - Earth. This my be good for material concerns. Not so helpful with passing exams, dealing with a breakup, or restraining from knocking someones head off their shoulders. There is finally the fifth element, Spirit. Spirit invoking or banishing uses two forms, active and passive.

So...a handy dandy chart.
Disturbing material conditions - Earth
Disturbing beliefs/thoughts - Air
Disturbing emotions/mom - Water
Disturbing actions/dad - Fire
All else fails - invoke or banish passive or active Spirit.

@Ziran .. @league .. @Vandheer ... are any of you working through the book? Feel free to chime in.

So, what rituals has Lesson One taught us:
Keeping/starting and keeping a Dream Diary.
Starting and keeping a Magickal/Ritual Diary.
The Relaxation Ritual, useful for sleeping well.
The Tarot Contemplation Ritual, and the Split Hexagram Spread.

As we get into Lesson Two, we are introduced to Kabalah, the Qabalistic Cross Ritual, the Lesser Ritual of the Pentagram, and how to ward off Psychic Attack.

Lesson two introduces us to the solar adorations, words of power/tool of vibration, QC, LBRP, Middle Pillar Ritual, and loads of Kabbalah lore.

Lesson three introduces us to reflection, elemental Earth and exercises to control this element, IOB and more.

Within the earth element, my life has been shook, my finances shook, my health has been shook, my body shook, my residence shook, my mental health has been shook. All this is normal. To feel the weight of your world and the earth world.
The trick is in rising. I was sixty pounds overweight, now losing weight. My health in all levels has been addressed. Family matters were shook and now improved. I feel the effects of gravity and earth. Now to learn to control it. For weight control will be doing The Alexander Technique and Eight Meridians Qi Gong. For finances, doing good with state benefits and healthy food, tax returns, and writing.
For mental health I am in therapy and it is going well. Seizures and tremors are being addressed. Depression and anxieties are being addressed.

Did beginning of Qi Gong exercises, smiling at the Heart center, with appropriate sound done using Great Voice, seeing color energy come out from tip of tongue, experiencing summer joyful memories, nine breaths. Part of two month long work. Gathering Qi at center.
Did beginning of Alexander Technique exercises, doing five each one leg chest curls last night, five each side with ten second hold on each leg curl. Beginning of two month long project using non-strenuous exercises (avoid back or spinal exercises for example). Stretch and mobilize.
Start Earth mastery exercises. Doing all invoking field Zelator Formula rituals in morning and Theoricus Formula rituals in evening.

Last edited:

Art Thurian

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Probably the first book I got when I started to learn about Magick. This book changed my views about what Magick was and I got lots of experience and results with that through the years. I definitely recommend this and it is a gem for beginners on the path of Magick.

Reaction score
Awards
It really, truly is. Sure, it doesn't go into a great detail of certain material, but it does cover the grades of the elements and teach you advanced material.
I've never progressed before to Theoricus and beyond, though dabbled in adept topics before.
So, aside from Kabalah, Magic and the Great Work of Self-Transformation by Lyam Thomas Christopher and The Golden Dawn, it is an awesome and additional side work through of a book.

theil

Carefree Explorer
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Started listening to the 12 lesson (platinum edition Kraig called it). Seen the book for years and loved the cover back in the day of the wizard and the pentagram, picked it a few times but never vibed with me. Now, I'm actually kind excited to learn what he has to teach. It helps knowing to Kraig was a hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner. Oh, i would share the audiobook but i don't know how to crack Everand's/scribd's invisible download location...

Reaction score
Awards
No worries :) I have a physical copy of the book.

Did my Christopher book Zelator Formula last night using The Great Voice.

Listened to ganster rap for an hour, and replayed certain events in my head, and how I wished, for better worse, how they couldve played out in very bad ways. Cut to the chase, Im listening to Lyam Christophers new video on The Magical Diary. Even though someone might be butthurt how Im not an eternal Neophyte and the system assigned title based on my volume of posts made for over a year, so be it.
So, objectifying habits. A bad habit named Skipper and a good habit called Diligenter. Two images I need to objectify, like the stereotypical shoulder demon and angel.

Earth exercise: Mastering the Element of Earth
Tried a combo of constructing a psi ball, feeling the energy of the created and imagined ball of earth energy, like a bowling ball, and dropping it as it picked up speed and became a strike, disappearing into the Earth.

Will try the various earth mastery exercises from both Christopher's and Kraig's books.

Practiced expansion and contraction or Earth and Air psi balls, containers, and singles exercises this past week.

Delving back into Lessons three and four this week.

Last edited: