• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Most beginner-friendly book on working with Angels and or Demons?

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
Personally, the Shemhamphoresh document from a Utah lodge that I uploaded, holds the keys for working with Shem angels. There are quite a few that I know of, but 72 Angels of Magick, or Demons of Magick are my two picks for beginner-friedly (even though there is a lot of careful reading and re reading before working, and quite a bit of practical work, it seems to me these two are the most beginner-friendly books to work with.

What are your choices?

whatever0935

Neophyte
Reaction score
Lucifer and hidden demon is my go for beginner (Demon things )
About angel and archangel , i recommended Raziel's Paths of Power (2 book series) by
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

All the books mentioned above are incredibly easy to use and practice, as they rely solely on the power of imagination (Vision Magick). I am particularly fond of this approach because of my frequent travels for work. I often find myself in situations where I don't have the luxury of time to engage in ceremonial magick. With these books, I can perform all the necessary rituals anywhere, simply by harnessing the power of the mind. It's truly fantastic!

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Anything by the Gallery of Magick really. Their methods are by far the most simplified. As long as you read and re-read (as needed) you'll have everything you could need in one source. Of course, they got several books on different things. You are very likely to find something that you will like. As commercial as magick can get.

Reaction score
Awards
Carl Spartacus has one on petition magick and pendulum, two very beginner friendly methods of magick, using the goetia and the shem angels.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Seconded Gallery of Magick there. Maybe also look for Power of Magick group. They seem similar.

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Carl Spartacus has one on petition magick and pendulum, two very beginner friendly methods of magick, using the goetia and the shem angels.
I know!!!!:cry: I bought the book a while ago alongside the last one by Gallery of Magick (Secret Angel Magick) so i didnt have the chance to read it right away. I kept it under my pillow all this time for when i found the peace and quiet to read it but when i went to pick it up... it was just destroyed. It fell on the floor under my bed. The rain water claimed my book's life before i had the chance to read it!!!:cry: Whenever it rains a lot around me, the rain water seeps through parts of my wall making my floor super wet. I tried posting a picture here of my now destroyed book but i couldn't:unsure:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I know!!!!:cry: I bought the book a while ago alongside the last one by Gallery of Magick (Secret Angel Magick) so i didnt have the chance to read it right away. I kept it under my pillow all this time for when i found the peace and quiet to read it but when i went to pick it up... it was just destroyed. It fell on the floor under my bed. The rain water claimed my book's life before i had the chance to read it!!!:cry: Whenever it rains a lot around me, the rain water seeps through parts of my wall making my floor super wet. I tried posting a picture here of my now destroyed book but i couldn't:unsure:

Djnenas

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Yes!!!:D It is excellent!!! I have my copy!!:geek: The one i lost to the rain was Carl Spartacus' The Magick of the Shem Ha-Mephorash's Angels and Goetia Demons:(. I had bought both books and since Blackthorne's book is so meaty i left Spartacus' book for a later time that never came:cry: But thanks to my fellow Wizards now i'm able to read it here and if its a keeper then i'll buy it again... Thanks for posting for everyone!!:giggle:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Yes!!!:D It is excellent!!! I have my copy!!:geek: The one i lost to the rain was Carl Spartacus' The Magick of the Shem Ha-Mephorash's Angels and Goetia Demons:(. I had bought both books and since Blackthorne's book is so meaty i left Spartacus' book for a later time that never came:cry: But thanks to my fellow Wizards now i'm able to read it here and if its a keeper then i'll buy it again... Thanks for posting for everyone!!:giggle:

Also in the Library:

WatEvah

Visitor
Reaction score
I am a huge GoM fan. My go-to for introduction, however, is Angelic Sigils, Keys & Calls by Ben Woodcroft.

Reaction score
Well let's start with a few basic questions:

I. Why do you want to contact angels or even demons?
Are you just doing a simple evocation to see if you can, perhaps to see if any of this stuff is legitimate or do you have a peculiar aim in mind?

II. The aim may help determine weather you want an angel if an elemental, planetary or zodiacal office.

III. You will also need to consider how and into what, if anything, you want to evoke the angel into. Do you want to call it inside the circle with you? Do you even want to use a circle. If you don't have a lot of space or have not proper sight, you probably want to consider Trimsthius' DSIC. The Table if praxis works as a circle, not around you but to build up and constrain the entity. You will want to consecrate it however by and in the name of the entities whose names appear thereon.

Which leads us to point IV.

IV. Time and Money. What are your resources? Can you make a proper circle on cloth or some other material. If you can't can you afford to purchase one? Can you make it purchase a blasting rod it Athame? Do you already have a suitable blade that can be consecrated to that purpose!

V. Are you comfortable working a Christian system or are you wanting to interact with these beings outside the context of a Christian lens? This is a big one.

VI. For that matter, what model of magic do you adhere to? This is another big one. If you are strongly in the psychological camp you probably wont have many gains practicing a grimoire as you would a more modern system and if you do, those experiences will certainly be perceived differently through your lens.
Post automatically merged:

So with all of that having been asked -The post was submitted before I was finished; let's consider a few scenarios.

Elemental
Let's say you wish to work with angels given an elemental office, namely the four archangels. Most practitioner's first exposure to the Archangels is through the LBRP. This is perfect because it gets you into the right state of mind, opens up with the presence of the angels evoked and requires no materia magic.

However don't try and visualize the angels. Let them come to your mind. From here you have a choice to make. If their image came easily to you and you are short on resources, we can move into a Wiccan-esque circle rite with them stationed at the quarters. If you are having difficulty or want materia magica and aren't strapped for cash you will want to procure yourself a crystal ball and big up a version of the Almadel (not to be confused with the Arbatel).

The process is simple enough: You make a makeshift altar, a candle at each corner and holes for incense smoke to arise and surround the crystal. Then you scry the angels and ask for instruction.

Now if this doesn't work for yo, you may have to try pendulums or some other method. That's just how it is. A method isn't going to work for everybody. Even in the spirit model the spirit is interacting with the senses of the magician and not everyone's psyche and neurology has the same quirks.

Working with demons is similar except that an obsidian or black mirror is preferred and you do not call them into the circle unless they are bound to an agreement and you have a longstanding relationship with them. Otherwise use the Triangle. Also instead of the Almadel you will be using something like DISC for demons, again substituting the crystal for a mirror if you can. If you do not have a black mirror you can paint the backside of glass in a picture frame or use a dark bowl filled with still water. If you don't have a crystal ball you will want try various crystals untill something works for you. If make an Almadel setup is not an option you can use DISC for the angels though the Almadel was crafted especially for the angels.

Planetary
There is no better way to start planetary work than with the Olympic Spirits. I've posted elsewhere on the forum, my frame rite for working with the Olympic Spirits, Intelligences, Blind Spirits, Enochian seniors and archangels. None of that requires materia magica either but you will be wanting to pick up an Athame. Once you have opened up with that frame rite making contact with planetary entities is much easier.

To help make contact with the Olympic Spirits prior, do an LBRP at Dawn, with or without angels, on the day ruled by the planet. You scry the Olympic Spirits by fire and once you've made contact ask them for a vision of the angel or entity you wish to contact. You can place a crystal ball in front of the flame, or if you prefer, in a holder above the flame, being sure to avoid possible heat or fire damage. Experiment with these methods.

I prefer fire scrying to other methods however fire is life and may unwantingly breath life into an entity. Holy fire can also be torturous to some beings who aren't aligned to the virtues thereof.

Zodiacal
You have a few options here. Zodiacal entities have both an elemental and modal nature, and are ruled by a planet according to their sign which is a mixture of these two natures.

Method 1 is a modified version of the Elemental method given here. Instead of working with the four archangels however we will be working with either the four fixed, mutable or Mercurial angels.

Starting with the fixed signs, instead of calling the archangels call archangels associated with Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio and Taurus. Also if your practice focuses more in the four elements than the four worlds try calling these angels in the SRP instead of the generalized four.

Then work an Almadel rite with these angels.

After you are comfortable doing this and gave a feel for these angels start doing the same thing but with the mutable signs: Gemini, Sagittarius, Pisces and Virgo.

After you are comfortable doing this and gave a feel for these angels start doing the same thing but with the Cardinal Signs: Libra, Aries, Cancer and Capricorn.

From each of these 12 you can contact the Decan angels and through them the Shem angels.

If you use the Supreme Ritual of the Pentagram be sure to use the cardinal or mutable signs in the pentagram when appropriate instead of the fixed Kerubic Signs. Of course, by using pentagrams we are working microcosmically. If you have a working familiarity with the LRH try it with the angelic calls.

The second method to working with these Zodiacal angels through Trithemius' table of practice. You should also be able to contact the Zodiacal angel through the angel of the planet who rules it.

Alternatively if you wrote a frame rite with three stations you could explore the zodiacal angels in triads such that they are grouped by element instead of modality.

I'll note that, truthfully, I haven't read many of the newer books post 90s and early 2000s unless it's a particularly field of interest. I'm not impressed though by what I've seen if the Gallery of Magic and a lot of the newer materials out there.

Why? Namely for two reasons. I.) I find them irresponsible. I understand their simplification of concepts and methods helps people comprehend but they often lead to a subpar understanding, which depending on the practice can be dangerous. At other times the newer materials are just outright wrong. 2.) They often take practices that were considered sacred and re-orient them towards materialism in the name of spirituality.
Don't get me wrong, we exist in a material world and gave material needs. The material is not inherently painful. However, these angels +and demons) are not ATMs nor some genie in a lamp put there to serve your whims. If you have a relationship with there's nothing wrong with petitioning then every once and a while and yes our ancestors were often in dire straights and turned to folk workings when they had nowhere else to turn. There is a big difference though between reaching out in a dire need and acting entitled, treating these entities as a nere means to an end. Sure I understand most practitioners today practice the psychological model thus there is no entity to actually mistreat but from the spirit model it's disrespectful. As such I find many of these books incredibly distasteful at best and downright abusive and appropriative at worst.

for these reasons I stay old school, with a few exceptions, such as with Frater Acher, who gets it.

now I'm sure this post will be unpopular and some will be quick to defend their favorite "and you to can be a magician and get the power you want" book, but someone needed to say it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Well let's start with a few basic questions:

I. Why do you want to contact angels or even demons?
Are you just doing a simple evocation to see if you can, perhaps to see if any of this stuff is legitimate or do you have a peculiar aim in mind?
Some mundane restrictions to be lifted, aid in legal affairs, aid in healing, benediction from God, these are some of my aims. Protection from adversity, protection from enemies human and non human alike. Monetary aid to become the true magician. Help in learning arts and sciences at a rapid pace. These are what interest me in working with angels, particularly the Shemhamphoresh. In due time working with choirs pery grade, for example, I should be invoking Uriel and Sandalphon, and the Ishim. Next grade Gabriel and the kerubim etc.

II. The aim may help determine weather you want an angel if an elemental, planetary or zodiacal office.
All three actually are my interests.

III. You will also need to consider how and into what, if anything, you want to evoke the angel into. Do you want to call it inside the circle with you? Do you even want to use a circle. If you don't have a lot of space or have not proper sight, you probably want to consider Trimsthius' DSIC. The Table if praxis works as a circle, not around you but to build up and constrain the entity. You will want to consecrate it however by and in the name of the entities whose names appear thereon.
Interesting point. I have had plans to get floor drop cloths and paint and brushes to try various circle layouts. Ordinarily I use a salt circle at most. Usually no circle other than Shining Crosses/LRP/LRH.

Which leads us to point IV.

IV. Time and Money. What are your resources?
At the moment non existent.
Can you make a proper circle on cloth or some other material. If you can't can you afford to purchase one? Can you make it purchase a blasting rod it Athame? Do you already have a suitable blade that can be consecrated to that purpose!
Good points. Even construction of a circle other than printer paper, tape and a 0en are 0utside of my current budget (SSDI battle currently).

V. Are you comfortable working a Christian system or are you wanting to interact with these beings outside the context of a Christian lens? This is a big one.
Yes. I am an unorthodox Christian familiar with many denominations. I am also Celtic by ethnicity and 0lam to evoke Celtic deities at some point, had considered Egyptian and Greek as well.

VI. For that matter, what model of magic do you adhere to? This is another big one. If you are strongly in the psychological camp you probably wont have many gains practicing a grimoire as you would a more modern system and if you do, those experiences will certainly be perceived differently through your lens.

So with all of that having been asked -The post was submitted before I was finished; let's consider a few scenarios.
Golden Dawn Tradition self initiate through the kabbalistic model and visionary magic.

Elemental
Let's say you wish to work with angels given an elemental office, namely the four archangels. Most practitioner's first exposure to the Archangels is through the LBRP. This is perfect because it gets you into the right state of mind, opens up with the presence of the angels evoked and requires no materia magic.
Yes, open to this.
However don't try and visualize the angels. Let them come to your mind. From here you have a choice to make. If their image came easily to you and you are short on resources, we can move into a Wiccan-esque circle rite with them stationed at the quarters. If you are having difficulty or want materia magica and aren't strapped for cash you will want to procure yourself a crystal ball and big up a version of the Almadel (not to be confused with the Arbatel).
Probably money savings will be my goal here as I frequently have to force visualization.

The process is simple enough: You make a makeshift altar, a candle at each corner and holes for incense smoke to arise and surround the crystal. Then you scry the angels and ask for instruction.

Now if this doesn't work for yo, you may have to try pendulums or some other method. That's just how it is. A method isn't going to work for everybody. Even in the spirit model the spirit is interacting with the senses of the magician and not everyone's psyche and neurology has the same quirks.

Working with demons is similar except that an obsidian or black mirror is preferred and you do not call them into the circle unless they are bound to an agreement and you have a longstanding relationship with them. Otherwise use the Triangle. Also instead of the Almadel you will be using something like DISC for demons, again substituting the crystal for a mirror if you can. If you do not have a black mirror you can paint the backside of glass in a picture frame or use a dark bowl filled with still water. If you don't have a crystal ball you will want try various crystals untill something works for you. If make an Almadel setup is not an option you can use DISC for the angels though the Almadel was crafted especially for the angels.
I follow.
Planetary
There is no better way to start planetary work than with the Olympic Spirits. I've posted elsewhere on the forum, my frame rite for working with the Olympic Spirits, Intelligences, Blind Spirits, Enochian seniors and archangels. None of that requires materia magica either but you will be wanting to pick up an Athame. Once you have opened up with that frame rite making contact with planetary entities is much easier.
Open to this as well.
To help make contact with the Olympic Spirits prior, do an LBRP at Dawn, with or without angels, on the day ruled by the planet. You scry the Olympic Spirits by fire and once you've made contact ask them for a vision of the angel or entity you wish to contact. You can place a crystal ball in front of the flame, or if you prefer, in a holder above the flame, being sure to avoid possible heat or fire damage. Experiment with these methods.

I prefer fire scrying to other methods however fire is life and may unwantingly breath life into an entity. Holy fire can also be torturous to some beings who aren't aligned to the virtues thereof.
Following.
Zodiacal
You have a few options here. Zodiacal entities have both an elemental and modal nature, and are ruled by a planet according to their sign which is a mixture of these two natures.
Open to this especially.

Method 1 is a modified version of the Elemental method given here. Instead of working with the four archangels however we will be working with either the four fixed, mutable or Mercurial angels.

Starting with the fixed signs, instead of calling the archangels call archangels associated with Aquarius, Leo, Scorpio and Taurus. Also if your practice focuses more in the four elements than the four worlds try calling these angels in the SRP instead of the generalized four.

Then work an Almadel rite with these angels.

After you are comfortable doing this and gave a feel for these angels start doing the same thing but with the mutable signs: Gemini, Sagittarius, Pisces and Virgo.

After you are comfortable doing this and gave a feel for these angels start doing the same thing but with the Cardinal Signs: Libra, Aries, Cancer and Capricorn.

From each of these 12 you can contact the Decan angels and through them the Shem angels.

If you use the Supreme Ritual of the Pentagram be sure to use the cardinal or mutable signs in the pentagram when appropriate instead of the fixed Kerubic Signs. Of course, by using pentagrams we are working microcosmically. If you have a working familiarity with the LRH try it with the angelic calls.

The second method to working with these Zodiacal angels through Trithemius' table of practice. You should also be able to contact the Zodiacal angel through the angel of the planet who rules it.

Alternatively if you wrote a frame rite with three stations you could explore the zodiacal angels in triads such that they are grouped by element instead of modality.

I'll note that, truthfully, I haven't read many of the newer books post 90s and early 2000s unless it's a particularly field of interest. I'm not impressed though by what I've seen if the Gallery of Magic and a lot of the newer materials out there.
I follow.
Why? Namely for two reasons. I.) I find them irresponsible. I understand their simplification of concepts and methods helps people comprehend but they often lead to a subpar understanding, which depending on the practice can be dangerous. At other times the newer materials are just outright wrong. 2.) They often take practices that were considered sacred and re-orient them towards materialism in the name of spirituality.
Agree.
Don't get me wrong, we exist in a material world and gave material needs. The material is not inherently painful. However, these angels +and demons) are not ATMs nor some genie in a lamp put there to serve your whims. If you have a relationship with there's nothing wrong with petitioning then every once and a while and yes our ancestors were often in dire straights and turned to folk workings when they had nowhere else to turn. There is a big difference though between reaching out in a dire need and acting entitled, treating these entities as a nere means to an end. Sure I understand most practitioners today practice the psychological model thus there is no entity to actually mistreat but from the spirit model it's disrespectful. As such I find many of these books incredibly distasteful at best and downright abusive and appropriative at worst.
Agree.
for these reasons I stay old school, with a few exceptions, such as with Frater Acher, who gets it.

now I'm sure this post will be unpopular and some will be quick to defend their favorite "and you to can be a magician and get the power you want" book, but someone needed to say it.
Thank you, you've given me a few ideas to work with here.