• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] New book shares or request threads only to appear in library forums a possibility?

Everyone's got one.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Not the worst idea I have ever heard... and yes it's possible...

I'll see what the rest of the community has to say about it.

I get it that there's sometimes huge waves of book uploads which bury the discussion content - which arguably needs more views.

At the same time I want people to feel encouraged to share books and find books.

stratamaster78

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
I’m kind of 50/50 on the idea.

When I’m check the board I always go to what’s new 1st for both threads and to see what new books have been shared.

For me it’s a great catch all so I don’t have to check every single sub forum for new topics.

But yes also at times there a huge dumps of new book shares.

Maybe instead we could ask those who do the most book sharing to try and self limit themselves to 5 shares a day or something?

I’m not sure what’s the best solution.

Reaction score
Awards
I’m kind of 50/50 on the idea.

When I’m check the board I always go to what’s new 1st for both threads and to see what new books have been shared.

For me it’s a great catch all so I don’t have to check every single sub forum for new topics.

But yes also at times there a huge dumps of new book shares.

Maybe instead we could ask those who do the most book sharing to try and self limit themselves to 5 shares a day or something?

I’m not sure what’s the best solution.
I like this idea, a limit on book shares (it's cool people have stuff to share, but a little too eager sometimes. Coming from someone who used to share a lot), maybe not daily but twice a day 3-5 is sufficient.
My concern is not for everyone to be highlighted, but to give guests an insatiable urge to become members and chime in on discussion threads. We have a lot of guests daily.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I like this idea, a limit on book shares (it's cool people have stuff to share, but a little too eager sometimes. Coming from someone who used to share a lot), maybe not daily but twice a day 3-5 is sufficient.
My concern is not for everyone to be highlighted, but to give guests an insatiable urge to become members and chime in on discussion threads. We have a lot of guests daily.
Guests are far more likely to sign up because of book threads, as they have to be registered in order to see/download links.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards

I agree with this. Book shares get dropped down the list pretty quickly over a day or two and new threads usually aren't past the second or third page of what's new. If book shares were hidden in a separate section I think I'd miss the occasional gem.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
How about an option to ignore sections like we can opt to ignore users? That could actually be useful.

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
How about an option to ignore sections like we can opt to ignore users? That could actually be useful.
I don't think that would be feasible with the current tech. But I might look into having different tabs in the "What's New" section for people with different goals.

Reaction score
Awards
I second the book shares or book requests, or even a library tab.
It's fairly annoying to have to wade through screens of book shares 9r book requests to find my threads or have posts buried a couple screens back.
Not to whine, but it is annoying.
So how can we help in getting this tab up there front and center?
Post automatically merged:

Thanks SkullTraill!!!

Last edited:

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Made some changes to the "What's New" page. No changes to the "New Posts" page because I feel that it works as intended.

Let me know if you have any feedback, anyone.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Did it change after @Vandheer posted? I'm on my phone and when I look for new posts the library comes after all other sections. Seems and looks like a good solution tbh

SkullTraill

Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Its an eyesore 🤢
Care to give some feedback then? How would you like it to be?

Did it change after @Vandheer posted? I'm on my phone and when I look for new posts the library comes after all other sections. Seems and looks like a good solution tbh
"New Posts" needs a separate "Show more..." button otherwise it's fine.
Yeah the widgets are having some sort of conflict and the single show more button is applying to both... Pain in the ass 😂

Reaction score
Awards
SkullTraill, you've done some amazing work despite the widgets. I looked at the page source and got lost. :)