• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Occult Classes?

Mr.Redd

Neophyte
Reaction score
So I've noticed how differently people deal with the weird and supernatural, like there's exorcists, people who use guns, people who use technology, use rituals, their own magick, those who have psychic powers, and people like me who use mythology, rumors, and knowledge.

it's just something i've noticed that you can probably fit anybody who's deep enough into the occult into a box like a class in a video game.

So any opinions or thoughts on this, have you noticed this to or am i just nuts?

Reaction score
Awards
It's a tough call. Is it all within the magician, occultist, witch, whatnot; or is there a greater being that is the cause and effect? Im going with the first.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I am jokingly agreeing with you, by the way.

Armchair occultists, practictioners, larpers, know-it-alls, list goes on and on.

Mr.Redd

Neophyte
Reaction score
I'm listening.

How would you class such a viewpoint?
people who aggressively use physical weapons to hunt physical things such as big foot, Michigan dogman, etc, they are afraid of what might be out there and instead of running they stand and fight with the best weapon available, being guns or other modern weapons.

classifying them in a game sense i guess they'd be main dps or frontline fighters like a barbarian, paladin, monk, fighter, and yes gunslinger.

Mr.Redd

Neophyte
Reaction score
please elaborate on how you use these and for what purpose, thank
I use rumors and mythology by collecting a large enough sample size and then filtering out inconsistencies or small differences and gather what is in common between reports, behavior, where and when something paranormal happens.

An example being vampires wherein it's said that commonly they drink blood or eat humans in some way, are undead, and have some kind of supernatural aspect then say if i encounter something that fits the description of a vampire i have options and knowledge to previously pull from at much broader range.

Reaction score
Awards
well i at least would classify prayer as a form of magic, you are working with your higher power to bring your thoughts into reality, and charms can be a powerful magic tool, i make talismans all the time, they work quite nicely is you give them energy

in any case, have fun

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So I've noticed how differently people deal with the weird and supernatural, like there's exorcists, people who use guns, people who use technology, use rituals, their own magick, those who have psychic powers, and people like me who use mythology, rumors, and knowledge.

it's just something i've noticed that you can probably fit anybody who's deep enough into the occult into a box like a class in a video game.

So any opinions or thoughts on this, have you noticed this to or am i just nuts?
This isn’t WoW

league

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I think you can teach all of the information to a group, but each person will take different things from the information, Reason why it cant be fit into a box or a video game class i feel

Reaction score
Awards
Like Kundalini, there is white magic, red magic, black magic, and varying shades of grey. Then there is non ceremonial magic, low magick, hoodoo, voodoo, Santeria, catholicism, Pentecostalism, judaism/sepher yetzirah/siddur/qabalah as practices, and others. It in my opinion depends on how much one can separate magical acts in religions from religion itself, how much one can read between the lines in scriptures.
White magic has a vast as well as baklck magic various religions and practices. Chaos magick as well.
There is besides religion the use of the scientific approach and scientific method, here we might see hermetics, causal/acausal methods.
Even within magic, there would be a vast array of types of classes as you might find in AD&D. Divination for example, is generally white magic or Right Hand Path, but there are LHP/black magic practitioners who use divination. Then there is the approach aligned to the scientific method, that treats spirits as vectors within/parts of the mind/brain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards

This is my personal opinion. Among people practicing in the occult, there are only two main groups:
A. People who KNOW they have magic abilities and use them regularly
B. People who BELIEVE they have or could one day attain magic abilities

The difference is, there is always belief in knowledge, but there isn't always knowledge in belief. One can believe something that isn't true if they want to believe strongly enough. I don't see any point in distinguishing and breaking down groups any further at this point, because I'm not even sure which categories are legitimate and how many practitioners are actually successful at it.

There's no point in trying to classify all the sub groups you come across when most of the people you encounter fall into Main Group B.

Let's use your exorcist example. How many of the alleged exorcists that you've interacted with or seen online/in person has actually exorcised a demon from someone?

Likely ZERO, they'll even tell you they've never done it (the honest ones), and that's my point. They may BELIEVE they are an exorcist or could one day be one, but as of now they don't KNOW if they can actually exorcise demons. There is no point in counting such individuals among the ranks of "exorcists" to begin with, since they haven't actually exorcised anything.

TLDR - There is no need to bother "prematurely" classifying occultists into groups, when we can't even verify whether or not most alleged practitioners are legitimately able to apply their knowledge practically, and tangibly affect the world around them.

I am jokingly agreeing with you, by the way.

Armchair occultists, practictioners, larpers, know-it-alls, list goes on and on.
I would argue the only group you listed that are actual occultists are "practitioners".

Notice that if someone reads about planes and piloting, nobody calls them an "armchair pilot", they simply aren't a pilot period, they're just someone who reads books about a particular field of interest. They are at best a "pilot enthusiast".

The larpers don't count for anything and the "know-it-alls" are usually just armchair occultists so you kinda just classified the same group twice.

I'd also argue that one doesn't really "know it all" if they haven't practiced and achieved actual feats. Practical knowledge is "true knowledge".

Someone can read as many martial arts manuals as they want, they won't be able to do anything with that "knowledge" until they actually apply it practically, because their knowledge is shallow (it isn't "true" knowledge).