• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion Occult Exercises and Practices by Gareth Knight

Talk about a book(s)

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
First, go grab a copy of the book here:

Second, this is not a race. If you're in this discussion just to "get through with it" before a deadline and on to the next shiny thing that catches your eye, then feel free to rush along and miss out on a lot of nuanced ideas. Maybe things will take as long as they need to take.

Third, this is a discussion. Nobody is under any obligation to attempt to practice the contents, though in all likelihood many of us have done so in one form or another. We've got enough on our plates (at least I know I do) without adding additional work.

Chapter One
The Four 'Worlds' of Occultism​
Systems of spiritual development through the techniques of occultism are many and various and it is not wise to mix systems. However, it is often very difficult as a student to decide just which is the way for you amongst all the varying methods and teachers, whether Eastern or Western. For only one will be the way for you and it is your task to find it.​
What can we learn from the first paragraph? What thoughts or questions come to mind after reading it?

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Here are some thoughts that came to mind, and the first three points are really a preface for newcomers to the occult:

1. Pop culture "magick" (magick being promoted as a means of instant gratification) creates unrealistic expectations in people who become interested in the occult. Discovering the actual nature of magick and the occult can cause people to dismiss it as inadequate to their perceived needs.

2. We live in a culture that puts a priority on rational materialism. Spirituality is seen as the domain of organized religion and is often ignored or exploited as such.

3. The words "magick" and "occult" are often conflated, however they are not the same thing. One can become an occultist without performing ritual magick.

4. Getting past the initial obstacles cited above, the various systems can be confusing to a neophyte. Results take time to manifest, so attempting many systems at the same time to find the 'right path' is tempting, but unwise...

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Chapter One (continues):
There are, however, basic similarities between the various systems and this book is written with the idea of putting forward the general practice principles which you can use prior to pursuing your studies to a deeper level under the system of your choice.​
All the paths lead to the same goal but in the initial and intermediate stages they differ in their symbolism, and the emphasis which they place on various aspects or levels of development.​
What paths can you think of that are popular with newcomers to occultism, especially its popular sub-genre known as magick? What do they have in common? What are their differences?

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Popular occult paths: Astrology, Alchemy, Ceremonial Magick, Witchcraft, Psychism, Mesmerism, Chaos Magick, Spiritualism, Shamanism, and even many Martial Arts. I've no doubt left out a lot, especially many African and Asian traditions. The point is, symbolism varies as do modes of practice.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Chapter One, paragraph 4: What are the Four Worlds?

Paragraphs 5-8: Can too much emphasis be put on one 'world' to the detriment of the others?

Paragraphs 9-10: Why commence with the Physical Plane?

Paragraphs 11-12: What common error occurs due to subjective 'experience'?

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
The sound of one hand clapping....
and with that I continue by reviewing the four questions in my previous post:

The Four Worlds are the Physical World, the Astral World, the Mental World, and the Spiritual World.

Too much emphasis on any one world causes imbalance, "for the occult way is the middle way and equal development on all the planes is essential for effective action."

We start with the Physical World, or plane as it is often called, because our waking consciousness is centered upon it. One may have spent decades learning to deal with the physical plane, but this does not mean we have mastered it to the necessary degree.

Subjective "experience" does not necessarily align with that which is objective. Self delusion is possible, and you "may even achieve at-one-ment with the 'god-within' but this is not necessarily the same thing as achieving awareness of - and cooperation with - the denizens of the inner planes, nor with coming to a personal relationship with the Living God."

And that ends my review of Chapter One. Comments are appreciated. Chapter Two will be considered when it is time, that is to say, when I have the time and feel like meditating upon it.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Comments are appreciated.
I've been wanting to comment on this but I don't have much time to play with. 😬

I was (am) going to start with this:

GK : ...the techniques of occultism are many and various and it is not wise to mix systems.

Skimming the book I thought this was kind of a punchline. Not that I am knocking it, it just tickles me. I'm just saying the whole thing is a bit of a mixed bag - jumping from an Egyptian diety posture to the TOL and then Tattvas. It's familiar though. Actually, it looks like a decent intro into the subject. I wouldn't mind having a pocketbook sized edition for when my brain gets foggy about what I am actually supposed to be doing. I do like GK's style. I am reading the Magical Battle of Britain now and his comments on DFs letters are a helpful focus.

The sound of one hand clapping....
I had once thought that Bart Simpson had solved the koan until I read some more ancient Zen writings that would suggest if he were a learner, then the master would have chopped his hand off and then insisted he try again!

But what I am really saying is that I would like to catch up with this...

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I'm just saying the whole thing is a bit of a mixed bag - jumping from an Egyptian diety posture to the TOL and then Tattvas. It's familiar though.
Well, yes, it is a mixed bag and familiar as well. I might never have read this particular book, but there was that "book club" thread, and one poster's suggestion for it, and our illustrious Librarian went to the effort to provide us with it, so... here we are.

As for myself, having dabbled my way along this year through a buffet of occult books and web pages, I see recurring ideas everywhere. For example, John Michael Greer recommends the same Egyptian deity posture for the practice of
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Ophiel wrote about the tattvas, encouraging his readers to make cards with the elemental shapes and colors in his book, The Art and Practice of the Occult.

I know someone who practices Witchcraft, and he likely would tell me that this is all just part and parcel of Ceremonial Magick (and dismiss it as outside of his tradition). Is it really? Anyone who calls themselves a Witch, or any other kind of occultist for that matter, might do even better with a more balanced perspective and study of the "Four Worlds" as Gareth Knight calls them, perhaps finding ways of integrating corresponding aspects of their own traditions in place of the ones presented in this or other books. I had initially thought that Quareia would be good for me, but the emphasis on "inner work" seemed a bit imbalanced after a while. I can only spend so much time sitting and imagining in the course of a day. Still, I appreciate what I did learn from McCarthy's books. I've got my sights set on something else now, but I want to give myself some time experiencing the path before talking about it.

Otherwise, I think Occult Exercises and Practices is good for beginners to the occult.

simpsons+one+hand+clapping.jpg