• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Oldie Occult Movies

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Thanks. Nothing to do with the old David Bowie flick from the 1980's, I hope. (Not that Bowie's was bad, but the ending celebrated infantilism.)

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I watched the new indiana jones. Very old school, fighting nazis and stuff with harrison Ford. We ended up helping archimedes. Made me think of romancing the stone.

The search for occult artifacts and back egineering them, yum. ❤️

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I watched the new indiana jones. Very old school, fighting nazis and stuff with harrison Ford. We ended up helping archimedes. Made me think of romancing the stone.

The search for occult artifacts and back egineering them, yum. ❤️
That's 'cause Romancing was a rip-off of Raiders. (Made 3 years later.).

Hey, I had an idea for a classic movie remake, "Rosemary's Baby." You know how they can use computer generation to put dead actors in commercials? Imagine, Patrick Swayze as Satan. At the end of the flick he pops in for a cameo and delivers the iconic line, "Nobody puts Rosemary's baby in a corner."

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
remake, "Rosemary's Baby."
American Horror Story has a new season called "Delicate" which is a take on Rosemary's Baby with the typical black humor and... a Kardashian.
Nice flashback scene where young Elizabeth Tudor walks in on Queen Mary I giving birth to a demon baby while attended by satanic witches.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I saw a film when I was a little kid, the name of which I forget. I'd swear a pre-Star Trek William Shatner was the male lead. (This was a B-grade flick.) In the movie a couple move into an old house full of mirrors. Ghost-in-mirror shite starts up, with the old hag ghost finally trying to drag Shatner's wife into a mirror. Ring any bells? The film scared me witless. My room had an antique dresser with a big mirror. For years after that, I slept with my head under the covers.

that

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Haxan 1922, my most loved movies and director Black Sabbath and Black Sunday from Mario Bava and from 2016 a Dark song. i have more but my memory is not helping right now .

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I saw a film when I was a little kid, the name of which I forget. I'd swear a pre-Star Trek William Shatner was the male lead. (This was a B-grade flick.) In the movie a couple move into an old house full of mirrors. Ghost-in-mirror shite starts up, with the old hag ghost finally trying to drag Shatner's wife into a mirror. Ring any bells? The film scared me witless. My room had an antique dresser with a big mirror. For years after that, I slept with my head under the covers.
The answer is "The Hungry Glass" - co-written by Robert Bloch, ofc :)
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
The answer is "The Hungry Glass" - co-written by Robert Bloch, ofc :)
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Thanks! I once tried to look it up in a Shatner filmography. Either the list was incomplete or I was blind. Maybe I thought "Hungry Glass" must be a picture about a drinking problem. I want to see this again. Maybe. Sort of. Before sundown.

I checked the link. Apparently the show was a TV episode of "Thriller." Which explains why it might not be in the aforementioned filmography.

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Well, I enjoyed watching the Exorcist, Rosemary's baby was interesting, also watched Exorcism of Emily Rose.

Others that I remember watching were all the three movies related to The Conjuring, The Ritual, Ouija: Origin of Evil and Incantation.

Really good collection which boosted my abilities and learning the occult when I was a beginner at it. Ahh... sweet memories

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Jan Svankmajer's Faust is a perennial favorite of mine:

Not oldie by any measure but Na Hong-Jin's The Wailing is excellent:

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I'm a little disappointed nobody's brought up the 1977 classic "Wizards"! Especially considering the bold claims it makes about the mechanics of WW2 and all kinds of wizardy business! 🦉🪄

81tFoFe7p2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Also Howl's Moving Castle because it's sweet and says a lot with little subtlety.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I really would like to see Wizards. And the book of Howl's Moving Castle is even better!
Post automatically merged:

ok, I just bought the Wizards DVD for a fiver

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Oh! Another wonderfully occult, esoteric, and lewd movie starring a barely-dressed gun-toting Sean Connery: Zardoz! This movie has many many wonderful layers to it and some truths
Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Zardoz.jpg

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Oh! Another wonderfully occult, esoteric, and lewd movie starring a barely-dressed gun-toting Sean Connery: Zardoz! This movie has many many wonderful layers to it and some truths
Original_movie_poster_for_the_film_Zardoz.jpg
I just liked it 'cause it was the first time I saw a genuine Webley-Fosbery automatic revolver. (Yes, that's right. An automatic revolver. The cylinder slides back on the frame and recocks the piece for single-action fire after the first double-action shot. Just like magick.) That kinder made up for the fact that Charlotte Rampling nude looked like a plucked pullet.

Wintruz

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
What's an old occult film you liked that's probably nigh forgot now? There was an updated version of "The Dunwich Horror" made around 1970 that is---if anything---better than Lovecraft's slightly overdone tale. The piece has a 70's vibe to it and, in my hubristic opinion, knocks the overrated "Rosemary's Baby," from the same era, into a shat-into hat.
That version of The Dunwich Horror is fantastic. Oddly, I remember my mid-00s, tweenaged self harbouring indecent thoughts of 1970's Dean Stockwell in what I now see as supreme desire for mentorship refracted through emerging hormones. 1991's The Resurrected, based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, is also excellent. As a film, I think Rosemary's Baby is glorious but I don't think it imparts anything other than entertainment and some films do have a pedagogical function, imparting particular things economically or in a way that written words cannot. I'd say these are some of the best at that (of which I'm aware)...

Fade to Black (1980)

Teaches that "stepping into" particular godforms will give the magician the powers (and limitations) of those godforms.

The Masque of the Red Death (1964)

An adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe's story which casts Prince Prospero as a Traditional Satanist. Teaches that we can create a universe of absolute pleasure, under our absolute control, but that other gods exist too and, sometimes, they win.

Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)

Werner Herzog's remake shows what living (?) Presence looks like.

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

A dated, silly film which also communicates a very Left Hand Path principle. It teaches how pleasure and dispelling conventional "morality" can open a portal for the Daemon to come forth.

American Beauty (1999)

A scathing attack on mindless consumerism through American transcendentalism. Teaches that we're missing Life by our preoccupation with "stuff".

Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome, Invocation of my Demon Brother and Lucifer Rising (1954 - 1980)

Kenneth Anger's three Crowley inspired short films are very much a product of California in the early years of the New Aeon. Yet they show a vision of a boundless metaphysics in a hard to define way. The three of them are on YouTube.

Groundhog Day (1993)

Teaches that you will face the same themes over and over again until you choose to approach them with higher consciousness/more thought.

Basic Instinct (1992)

A bit like Herzog's Nosferatu, this is a film about Presence but it is also about the manipulation of human desire for pleasure in a way that gives the manipulator goddess-like power. A film version of Robert Greene's The 48 Laws of Power. Not obviously "occult" (unless we're counting the use of subtle psychological laws) but the antagonist would have burned at the stake in an earlier age for even trying to employ the laws she's mastered here.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Why has consciousness arisen on this planet? Flight and amphibiousness have evolved in many species in a way that's easy to track through the fossil record. We know of no equivalent to human consciousness, which has evolved very recently and at such a speed that we've moved from living in caves to putting men on the moon within a few thousand years, while evolution is generally tracked in spans of millions of years. Did something else intervene? Is the future a Nietzsche-like Homo-Galacticus? As well as being one of the greatest films ever made, 2001 is the only film which poses these questions. If you aren't frightened/exhilarated by it, you haven't understood it.

Meetings with Remarkable Men (1979)

Gurdjieff the Movie.

The Holy Mountain (1973)

A heavily Gurdjieff inspired, surrealist take on the Hermetic idea of moving through the planets, taking their virtues and leaving their vices. The depictions of animal cruelty are abhorrent but this is the closest film has yet come to Ishtar's descent through the seven gates of the Underworld.

Dumbo (1940)

Teaches that we sometimes need a magic feather, or a symbol, to unlock our magical power.

The 10th Kingdom (2000)

A miniseries that begins disappointing but slowly builds into a powerful, psychoanalytical use of the fairytales of the Brothers Grimm. Sometimes we have to enter the dark forest in order to heal.

Fight Club (1999)

Adventures with the Daemon.

Xingtian

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I haven't seen The Resurrected but there's an older adaptation of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward - Roger Corman's The Haunted Palace, starring Vincent Price. I saw it a while ago, don't remember much, but vaguely recall it was quite good.

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Recently I saw a movie called "The Ninth Gate" and I loved it because it dealt with two subjects I like very much...books and the occult.
I won't spoil the movie but if you're into books, the left hand path, occult secrets, the human existence and the complexities associated with that, or just the search for the truth(which in the case of the movie is about the three books the main character is dealing with), this might interest you.

It may not be for everyone though, for some this can be boring or "pretentious" or "ridiculous".
I, myself, liked the movie.

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Recently I saw a movie called "The Ninth Gate" and I loved it because it dealt with two subjects I like very much...books and the occult.
I won't spoil the movie but if you're into books, the left hand path, occult secrets, the human existence and the complexities associated with that, or just the search for the truth(which in the case of the movie is about the three books the main character is dealing with), this might interest you.

It may not be for everyone though, for some this can be boring or "pretentious" or "ridiculous".
I, myself, liked the movie.
It's one of my favourite movies about the occult, including a very Umberto Eco vibe of "is it actually bullshit?"