• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] One Sentence: Why Magick?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
What one thing was most important in getting you started looking into magick?

For me, it was when Thatcher's Thralls worldwide started parroting "TINA" (There is No Alternative) like it was the argument clincher of all clinchers.

Saint

I / Me / Myself
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
The entities surrounding me from my birth.

I think they had a significant impact on me, that ensured that my path heading towards Magic is inevitable. They made me feel welcomed in a world people can not see or refuse to see. They made me feel comfortable, always kept me excited with the mystery and secrets they kept showing me, their "wonders", holding my curiosity and directly guiding towards the art of creation, destruction and control.

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
As a kid, the others called me “an alien”. I was able to make myself invisible when I wanted to. I made space ships from card board and left origami stars on the bus. I was somehow always looking for “the other side” of the argument, the hidden side. I thought I would become a writer. The realization that magic (and not art) would be my fate, came from the realization that I am continuously developing my work without witnesses, without the need or wish for audiences, appraisal or fame.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Because I feel like understanding magic is necessary to understanding what is going on right now, and I am obsessed with understanding... what is going on. Like just look around you... wtf 🦉

Robert Ramsay

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I wanted to do something that no-one else had done; so I set out to explain magic.

Reaction score
Awards
Growing up in a religion where people claimed miracles could happen but they seemed to spend a lot of their time explaining why a particular miracle didn’t happen for them.

Either the miraculous happens or it doesn’t, so I set out to find out which.

-Eld

Reaction score
Awards
Hmm. I'd say magic was a come and go my entire life. First real interest sparked in me in my early teens, it was somewhere between a game and real practice, and then I saw things that convinced me to actually believe it. Then, after a few years, it started to be scary. By my mid-twenties I somehow cut myself out from anything magical, it seems to have been some sort of defensive mechanism: if you don't believe, don't see, don't hear, don't sense — it can't hurt you. A year ago it came back and since then I'm trying to figure out why I have all that and what should I do with it (given that I was never really successful in spells, just seeing stuff).
Throughout the year I was trying divination, connection with my spirits, little spells, improving my vision. Some things work. Some don't.

What I want to gain? Money. (So far got none :D)
Is this why I have some "powers"? Definitely not.
Why do I really have them? No fucking idea.

So as of now, I pretty much am where I left off years ago. I see, I sometimes sense, I started to hear, but this time I'm not scared anymore.
No practical use, just curiosity and gentle (or sometimes not so gentle) reminders from spirits to get my shit together and practice. But to do that properly I need some answers I don't get yet.

Aeternus

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
My reason to start magic and working with all sorts of magic and practices, is that of... drums please... self discovery.

Why self discovery? Because when we truly attune to our spiritual selves, in my opinion, we can then truly say that we discovered our spiritual sense in this world. After all, we are all spiritual beings having a human experience on Earth

Another reason would be the fascination I had since I was younger with the Universe and the stars

Butterfly Affect

Neophyte
Reaction score
I had no real reason to disbelieve it, and nothing really pushed me away from it either. I just find it as another skill, another way to get what I need.

In fact I don't really find it peculiar, I only guess that when people are socialized to find it delusional or childish or satanic or otherwise bizarre that they turn away from it.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
A multitude of things,
1) I grew up as a Lutheran, I didn’t like because I couldn’t see how they can claim a god to be all loving but also be willing to throw someone into hell, I became an acolyte and realized that there’s always a spiritual reason for doing the things we do (what color candles we lit at the beginning of service the way we tied our robes and ofc communion.)

2) I hate using this term but my house growing up was “haunted”, so badly that my brother moved out asap with his gf when he was 15. (She refused to stay in the house bc of what they experienced. My sister also moved out at around 17. It was bad for me as well except when I was about 16 a water piper burst while we were on vacation and the whole house had to be remodeled, after that everything stopped when we moved back in. But by that time I was already interest in esoteric subjects that deal with the occult as well as aliens and all that fun stuff.

Lurker

Neophyte
Reaction score
A desperate desire to know my future led me to Tarot, and from the beginning Tarot smacked me right in the face with the reality of magick. Still, I was kind of in denial about the broader world of magick beyond Tarot, but eventually Tarot smacked me so hard I couldn't deny it any more.
Post automatically merged:

Oops, one sentence . . . I'll just assume that meant for your question rather than the responses. ;)
Post automatically merged:

". . . was meant . . ." grumble

Last edited:

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Two reasons, actually

One is the link people tend to make between magic and art, and as an artist myself I feel like magic would naturally be an extension of my art.

The second one is more simple: the ability to change.Yourself, your environment, others...the power of change is very tempting and allows you to do and be many things.