• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] One Sentence: Why Magick?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Because I desperately wanted it to be real

Not the most sophisticated of motivations but there you go
Actually that's the motivation behind creating most anything worthwhile.

There's a Kurosawa film (Ikiru?) about a dying careen bureaucrat who spends his final months fighting to get a park put in where there has "always been" a mudhole in some neighborhood. Mostly because he desperately wants it to be real. And he's fighting the most daunting foe: bureaucratic habit.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
There's a Kurosawa film (Ikiru?) about a dying careen bureaucrat who spends his final months fighting to get a park put in where there has "always been" a mudhole in some neighborhood. Mostly because he desperately wants it to be real. And he's fighting the most daunting foe: bureaucratic habit.
Weirdly, that is the throughline plot of Parks & Rec. She's a career bureaucrat trying to get an empty lot with a hole in it turned into a park, but can't get through the bureaucracy to do it.

I take your point though, I appreciate the better framing!
Post automatically merged:

Okay yeah I'm not the first person to notice it
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Last edited:

TheMouse

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
. . . experiencing strange and miraculous stuff and wanting to understand the higher science behind it all and see if i could reverse engineer a miracle or two . . . . . like when my head cracked open (metaphorically speaking) after i read The Book of the Law . . . . . how'd he Do that?!!! . . . i just read it because someone told me to . . . i didnt actually think anything would Happen! :ROFLMAO: o_O

thehornedone

Neophyte
Reaction score
It started as an existential rebellion against helplessness, vulnerability at the whims of forces greater than myself and the loss of dignity when you are simply not strong enough. Essentially a psychological control issue. I'm not sure what trauma caused that but it is what it is. I was obsessed with preparing for the apocalypse/ collapse of civilization and I was frenetic and rushed to do whatever I could to prepare, plan and stockpile. I always had a hunch that spooky shit was out there and there was only one way to find out. So I tucked around, I found out and there was no turning back. It is impossible to unknow something.once you know, you have a responsibility to provide and protect and you are the only one who can and is willing to do what it takes to ensure that. Also, this shit is just so cooʻl. Skulls and daggers and blood and inverted pentagrams...I can't get enough of it.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
It started as an existential rebellion against helplessness, vulnerability at the whims of forces greater than myself and the loss of dignity when you are simply not strong enough. Essentially a psychological control issue. I'm not sure what trauma caused that but it is what it is. I was obsessed with preparing for the apocalypse/ collapse of civilization and I was frenetic and rushed to do whatever I could to prepare, plan and stockpile. I always had a hunch that spooky shit was out there and there was only one way to find out. So I tucked around, I found out and there was no turning back. It is impossible to unknow something.once you know, you have a responsibility to provide and protect and you are the only one who can and is willing to do what it takes to ensure that. Also, this shit is just so cooʻl. Skulls and daggers and blood and inverted pentagrams...I can't get enough of it.
What gets called "good" is ofttimes the most insidious evil. Pastel unicorns sprout poisoned horns; Care Bears' honey is venom.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
D

Do you mean that as a rebuttal of my system of ethics?
Quite the opposite. I meant to agree the world has its spooky side, as you mentioned. I simply suggest that a lot of what gets called "good" is actually doing insidious work of its own. The truly praiseworthy folks are those who don't deny the dark and who don't get dazzled my what seems to be guiding light.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Got an enlightenment experience or preawakened Kundalini at 2003 and started delving into the occult for answers. In that state I knew every answer in existence and noticed a large force or egregore wanting me to cease existing.