• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book – PDF Patrick Dunn - Magic, Power, Language, Symbol: A Magician's Exploration of Linguistics

Share a PDF of a book.

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
81MrBCyLd+L._SL1360_.jpg

From the sigils of chaos magic to the numerical code of Qabalah, all magical practices operate in a web of symbols and language. Yet academics seldom examine the role that semiotics and linguistics play in the unfolding of magical works.

In the follow-up to his debut Postmodern Magic, Patrick Dunn returns once again to the theoretical realm of the sign, the signified, and the changeable perceptions of a slippery reality. Intellectual and aggressively modern, his language-driven perspective on magic touches on all elements voiced and written, from speaking in tongues and creating mantras to composing Enochian spells and working with gematria. A hefty appendix includes exercises that put Dunn's theories to work, as well as the first published dictionary of English alphabet numerology.

Highly literate and highly readable, Magic, Power, Language, Symbol will tickle the minds of theory-thirsty academics and seasoned mages alike, as well as anyone else eager to examine the manufacture of meaning.

Buy:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Last edited:

Pyrokar

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I would like to ask anyone who reads this to do a review on the forum and/or tag me once they do
I have a soft backround in linguistics but don't have the time to wrestle such a work right now, i know of the author so i don't doubt he has some
good insights

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I would like to ask anyone who reads this to do a review on the forum and/or tag me once they do
I have a soft backround in linguistics but don't have the time to wrestle such a work right now, i know of the author so i don't doubt he has some
good insights
A kind reminder of the rules:
5.Do not request books here. Use: Book Requests
6.Do not discuss books here. Use: Book Discussion and Reviews
If you are asking for a review of the book I'm sure you can find plenty of it on the internet.Try searching this book on Goodreads, for example.