• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Planned Rites or Extempore?

Everyone's got one.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
In your workings do you prefer to work from a written text (preferably memorized) or do you depend on heightened emotions/sensibilities to give intention befitting words when the moment comes, be it benedicting or maledicting? The former certainly offers better control and specifics. The latter---which I've been getting into more of late---frequently carries more fervor and, not seldom, even results in surprisingly apt turns of phrase. The important thing seems to be working up to the moment through preparatory doings (chant or what have you.) As to effects, a "too-short and poorly phrased" working the other day brought swift and sufficient results. Thoughts from your doings or musings?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I like it planned and think of it as a part of the ritual.
For evocations that might be needful. I recall Steve Savedow describing how an early attempt at calling some Goetic demon ended with a loud bang, foul odor, and a voice snarling, "Learn the words!" It could be I'm fourth violinist trying to play improv in a Bruckner symphony with my notion here.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
For evocations that might be needful.
Some call it preparatory immersion I think. You basically study all you can find about this said entity you are about to summon for a week or two.

It does make sense. Imagine you are about to make a business deal with Steve. You would want to know who this Steve is, no? Otherwise you can't really know if Jack cut me some slack showed up in his place instead and got you in boatload of trouble.

Sure you may ask an id or whatever in this realm but how do you do that with something intangible?

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Some call it preparatory immersion I think. You basically study all you can find about this said entity you are about to summon for a week or two.

It does make sense. Imagine you are about to make a business deal with Steve. You would want to know who this Steve is, no? Otherwise you can't really know if Jack cut me some slack showed up in his place instead and got you in boatload of trouble.

Sure you may ask an id or whatever in this realm but how do you do that with something intangible?
That's why solipsists like me don't do evocations much.