• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Profanations - Giorgio Agamben

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
My own review:
Like the apple - when cut horizontally - reveals a star where we expect the core, Agamben dissects and dismantles our language in new ways (specie, special, species, specchio - genus, genius, geniale, generic) and weaves that all together into poetic theory (with many historical and mythological references) to reveal stuff that is deep inside of us— hidden stuff. I can imagine people like Chomsky rolling their eyes as they flip or swipe the pages, but that makes me like it even more. Agamben is the magician of theory.

Amazon blurb:
The Italian philosopher Giorgio Agamben has always been an original reader of texts, understanding their many rich historical, aesthetic, and political meanings and effects. In Profanations, Agamben has assembled for the first time some of his most pivotal essays on photography, the novel, and film. A meditation on memory and oblivion, on what is lost and what remains, Profanations proves yet again that Agamben is one of the most provocative writers of our time. In ten essays, Agamben ponders a series of literary and philosophical problems: the relation among genius, ego, and theories of subjectivity; the problem of messianic time as explicated in both images and lived experience; parody as a literary paradigm; and the potential of magic to provide an ethical canon.

Buy:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

51kbk+oH8QL._SY445_SX342_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Book Share Rule #9: "You may only share occult/magick books. You may share books occult-related topics that are widely regarded to be important to occult practice (such as meditation, botany etc) but there must be a strong connection to occult practice in the book (i.e. no coffee table meditation books, agriculture books etc) and it will be subject to staff discretion."

Just because that non-occult book may be important for your own personal path doesn't mean it is of universal interest for this section of the Forum.

Romolo

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Apologies, HoldAll. I published just before I saw your reply in the other thread. What do you propose? Should I remove the MEGA?

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Apologies, HoldAll. I published just before I saw your reply in the other thread. What do you propose? Should I remove the MEGA?
I'll remove the link for you, it won't be possible for you to edit your post. I noticed you posted your book at the same time I advised you not to do it, so no problem there, it's just that I think the book is off-topic and that the whole thread should be deleted.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Sentinel
Reaction score
Awards
Moved to Book Discussions (for now), so make your case about it being a book for magicians. Otherwise, the thread may end up in the Philosophy or Arts section.