• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Quareia Course

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Curious if anyone on the forum has been doing the practices in Josephine Mcarthy's Course on magic and if so what level have you attained. I have been dabbling with it but it can be overwhelming at times the sheer amount of information/ regular practice required. If anyone has any opinions on the effectiveness of the course and personal opinions it would be appreciated.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
According to my notes, I started Quareia Meditation 1 (QM1) on the 14th of this month. Prior to that I was doing a 'motionless meditation' from Peter Carroll's
since the 3rd of this month. I started with 5 minutes of motionless meditation and quickly moved up to 15 minutes. Since Quareia recommends at least 20 minutes per day, that is what I started with on QM1. I added Quareia Meditation 2 (QM2) on Monday, the 25th, changing the timing to QM1 for 11 minutes and QM2 for 11 minutes. Yesterday I had time to perform QM1 and QM2 twice, at hours 3 and 13, The Sun and The Moon, according to the
<< link.

I don't expect any sudden revelation, having invested so little time in Quareia at this point, but such is the case with beginnings. I've downloaded the entire course, but I'm resisting the temptation to read ahead. However, I have been reading quite a lot of The Magical Knowledge Trilogy and the guide book to the LXXXI magician's deck. I don't own the deck, but the guide book is interesting nonetheless, and I'm comparing the descriptions with the tarot decks I already know and use.

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I've downloaded the entire course, but I'm resisting the temptation to read ahead. However, I have been reading quite a lot of The Magical Knowledge Trilogy and the guide book to the LXXXI magician's deck.
I couldn't help myself and started skimming through the entire course. Fortunately she mentions incorporating "blinds" and "glamour" to the course to protect the reckless like myself haha.

tranmut3

Neophyte
Reaction score
Curious if anyone on the forum has been doing the practices in Josephine Mcarthy's Course on magic and if so what level have you attained. I have been dabbling with it but it can be overwhelming at times the sheer amount of information/ regular practice required. If anyone has any opinions on the effectiveness of the course and personal opinions it would be appreciated.
i'm doing the course, as dilligently as i can. that means that i am doing ALL of the rituals in order, and have noticed some interesting results which i did not expect. i'm only at apprentic module 2.
it does require commitment and constant thought / work / application. but i'm enjoying it.
i dont think i can comment on the effectiveness of the course as i'm at the very beginning. previously i was following the goldn dawn path but it didnt seem right, although i did have some sucess with manifesting reality though rituals.
the thing i am looking for most is spiritual contacts to work with, and it seems like the course is entirely geared towards this, which is the main reason i am here.
i already have a spiritual contact who helps me in one area of my life, but i want to learn how to communicate better with him and to broaden my scope, and work with a variety of different entities.

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
the thing i am looking for most is spiritual contacts to work with, and it seems like the course is entirely geared towards this, which is the main reason i am here.
i already have a spiritual contact who helps me in one area of my life, but i want to learn how to communicate better with him and to broaden my scope, and work with a variety of different entities.
Im in a similar track as well. How does your communication manifest with your contact? Ive been in communion with what seems like a few different spiritual forms ( tbh idk if its just one manifesting in different ways). Alot of the times its hard to differentiate my own thoughts from that of an outside source so im hoping the lessons help with that. On a side note does your communication ever manifest with disturbance in electronics? For me it will be my car bluetooth connection going crazy then ill get in a different head space where It seems im having communication.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Btw, @auza121 I want to thank you for pointing me towards Quareia back in my Introduction thread. I kind of doubt I would have found this course on my own with the huge variety of choices to be had on the internet these days. I'm being very realistic in my expectations for a couple of reasons. I'm not that young anymore, and youth is often an advantage in learning skills more rapidly. I seem to have no 'talent' with magic other than a good imagination. In fact I had a great imagination as a kid. I loved to read, and we had far fewer gadgets back in the 70s and 80s. Boredom for me often meant going inward to make my own little worlds. Now, computers and video games have made me quite lazy. 🎮

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
IMO @KjEno186 from my limited knowledge of magick The ability to access your imagination in active ways is the most important way to being successful. Using the kabbalistic tree of life, ascending from malkuth to the higher sefirots requires the gateway of imagination. Lon Milo Duquette has a great way of describing this in his book The Chicken Kabbalah.

( It continues in the next video you should be able to see the playlist on youtube)

Also if you want to get to know who wrote the lesson plans within Quareia shes done a number of podcasts. Shes pretty funny honestly and seems to know alot and has some 30 years + practicing Magick.

Glad I helped out!

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hi there, :)

I am into magick for a very long time, so my working with the Quareia material might differ from that of an 'apprentice'. I feel very much respect for Josephine and her work. She has created a quite unique course which is based on her profound experiences, a true Opus Magnum in my eyes. There are many things in the rough patterns of her material which I totally agree with, yet there are also many things I don't agree with at all. ;)

For example I absolutely don't like her demand for not pondering about the exercises and doing them exactly in the way she designed them (she elaborates her reasons in the guide book, which accompanies the course). In my experience magick is a highly individual experience and many magickal acts might lead to very different resulst, when performed by different people.

Yet I feel drawn to her views and insights into magick and find a lot of inspiration for my own magick. So I started reading her course and now weave in one thing or the other into my actual magickal activities. I've read and worked only with the first 4 lessons so far, adapting them to my own experiences with and views on magick. I don't do much repetition. For me working with a lesson means opening a door to a special realm of magick which I've explored before, inspiring and acitvating things, which come forth and melt into the greater picture of what I am doing right now ...

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
by the way, what do you think about the Quareia emblem? It looks really horrible to me, both from the perspective of a graphic designer and of a magician. :eek: :LOL: The course definitely deserves better! ;)🍀

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
For example I absolutely don't like her demand for not pondering about the exercises and doing them exactly in the way she designed them (she elaborates her reasons in the guide book, which accompanies the course). In my experience magick is a highly individual experience and many magickal acts might lead to very different resulst, when performed by different people.
I would tend to agree with how individual magick is. Personally im pretty new to structured occultism ( last 2 years or so) so having a form of structure is helpful, otherwise my low attention span has me researching Egyptian funeral texts one minute and the next Cattle mutilations haha. How was your path starting with magick? I know its a lifelong process but I tend to be impatient so was there anything you can think back that jumpstarted practical development?

by the way, what do you think about the Quareia emblem? It looks really horrible to me, both from the perspective of a graphic designer and of a magician. :eek: :LOL: The course definitely deserves better! ;)🍀
Im an artist myself ( painting/digital/ ink) but tbh I don"t really have an opinion either way, to each there own I guess.

Reaction score
Awards
According to my notes, I started Quareia Meditation 1 (QM1) on the 14th of this month. Prior to that I was doing a 'motionless meditation' from Peter Carroll's
since the 3rd of this month. I started with 5 minutes of motionless meditation and quickly moved up to 15 minutes. Since Quareia recommends at least 20 minutes per day, that is what I started with on QM1. I added Quareia Meditation 2 (QM2) on Monday, the 25th, changing the timing to QM1 for 11 minutes and QM2 for 11 minutes. Yesterday I had time to perform QM1 and QM2 twice, at hours 3 and 13, The Sun and The Moon, according to the
<< link.

I don't expect any sudden revelation, having invested so little time in Quareia at this point, but such is the case with beginnings. I've downloaded the entire course, but I'm resisting the temptation to read ahead. However, I have been reading quite a lot of The Magical Knowledge Trilogy and the guide book to the LXXXI magician's deck. I don't own the deck, but the guide book is interesting nonetheless, and I'm comparing the descriptions with the tarot decks I already know and use.
I started reading her Tarot Skills for the 21st Century. Very good book.
Have not started the Magical Trilogy yet.

tranmut3

Neophyte
Reaction score
Im in a similar track as well. How does your communication manifest with your contact? Ive been in communion with what seems like a few different spiritual forms ( tbh idk if its just one manifesting in different ways). Alot of the times its hard to differentiate my own thoughts from that of an outside source so im hoping the lessons help with that. On a side note does your communication ever manifest with disturbance in electronics? For me it will be my car bluetooth connection going crazy then ill get in a different head space where It seems im having communication.
with me, my contact appears behind me, over my right shoulder, where he can whisper into my ear.
i feel his presence, something like electricity -
he gave me a sigil to use to deepen our contact, and i work with this.
if i want him to come, i become 'clothed' in him, i.e. he has a particular physical attributes that get 'imposed' on my own.

tranmut3

Neophyte
Reaction score
do you mean the panther eyes? i like it.
she makes reference to this in her course, in the adpept book which i have there is a series of vision work with this goddess.

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I would tend to agree with how individual magick is. Personally im pretty new to structured occultism ( last 2 years or so) so having a form of structure is helpful, otherwise my low attention span has me researching Egyptian funeral texts one minute and the next Cattle mutilations haha. How was your path starting with magick? I know its a lifelong process but I tend to be impatient so was there anything you can think back that jumpstarted practical development?

I have times where I go from one subject to the next quickly too. Most of the time because of a lack of energy and thus of focus. I believe many magickal experiences are deeply connected to how you decide to look at what you do. So, instead of feeling bad and seeing all my (already low) energy scattered, I try to draw all the stuff together to a broader picture. So I ask myself: what has the cattle mutilation to do with the Egyptian funeral and how does this all apply to my actual magickal work? This often leads to astonishing insights and perspectives on my magickal doing. Things fall into places and missing links suddenly show up.

In this example, I would look up how the mummification has been done in old Egypt. I remember that they took away the brain and all guts. Isn't this a kind of mutilation? What did they do with the guts? What did it mean to them back then and what does it mean to me and my magick today? Do I have an aspect which feels mutilated? Can I maybe heal it in connection with what I found out about old Egypt? Or is my magickal work somehow mutilated, is something important and natural missing? And so on ...

My path starting with magick? Hell, yes, it was a long road. I always seeked for contact to the spiritual world. When I was young, it was not just praying to god which satisfied me. I wanted to communicate with god, really communicate (which disappointingly didn't happen). I tried religion and mysticism (Yoga), which harshly pulled me away from my goal. It's too lengthy to tell the whole story, but in the end my dreams and my intense and very intimate feeling of my true inner core helped me to find my way.

So I would say, the best thing is to make contact to your inner magickal core, your inner connection to the magickal/spiritual realms, which some call the HGA or the Holy Daimon or whatever. It doesn't necessarily have to be a magickal entitiy , it also can be an energy, a certain flow, a magickal place, a magickal feeling, intuition or instinct. - For me it was a place deep in earth, directly connected to my soul, for a long time, before I turned towards personification into a kind of HGA (I am not working with angels, so I actually don't call my most intimate magickal friends angels). And yes, my dreams accompanied me my whole life and taught and still teach me a lot.

In my experience, the really big advantage in finding this contact or connection is, that you have a deep inner knowing reference on whatever you do. You better understand what is right for you and what not, where to turn next, how to find your way through the jungle of magick and so on.

I don't know, where the Quareia course leads in the end, but as far as I understand, it strongly focusses on inner work and vision. I think, it provides a bunch of really helpful tools to stand on your own feet quickly. (Although when rushing through the guide book a bit, I saw some things I would never recommend to anybody. But in the end everyone has to find his own approach and decide on what he feels is right or wrong.) :)

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
with me, my contact appears behind me, over my right shoulder, where he can whisper into my ear.
Interesting, I had a similar experience while under the influence of Peyote. I was out on my friends balcony looking at the trees when I saw something rustling through the branches/ leaves moving quickly towards me from a distance. When It got right in front of me everything went dead silent outside for a second (the birds the wind everything) then I felt the presence of something behind my right shoulder. In a female voice I heard ( to the best I can describe) ancient Greek whispered to me. Ive never had my hair stand on end to that extent before. looking back I think it may have been a dryad. They are said to not like to be seen and be pretty shy. But honestly what do I know haha.

auza121

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I have times where I go from one subject to the next quickly too. Most of the time because of a lack of energy and thus of focus. I believe many magickal experiences are deeply connected to how you decide to look at what you do. So, instead of feeling bad and seeing all my (already low) energy scattered, I try to draw all the stuff together to a broader picture. So I ask myself: what has the cattle mutilation to do with the Egyptian funeral and how does this all apply to my actual magickal work? This often leads to astonishing insights and perspectives on my magickal doing. Things fall into places and missing links suddenly show up.

In this example, I would look up how the mummification has been done in old Egypt. I remember that they took away the brain and all guts. Isn't this a kind of mutilation? What did they do with the guts? What did it mean to them back then and what does it mean to me and my magick today? Do I have an aspect which feels mutilated? Can I maybe heal it in connection with what I found out about old Egypt? Or is my magickal work somehow mutilated, is something important and natural missing? And so on ...
Great insight. The more I get into a "Magickal mindset" the more everything becomes connected. The Observer and the observed are both important to pay attention too ( why do we find interest in something and how does it apply to future research). Its great to be reminded of this because in our current digital world its easy to fall out of presence in the moment and lose awareness of information that may very well be exactly what we are looking for/ lead to deeper insights like you mentioned.
My path starting with magick? Hell, yes, it was a long road. I always seeked for contact to the spiritual world. When I was young, it was not just praying to god which satisfied me. I wanted to communicate with god, really communicate (which disappointingly didn't happen). I tried religion and mysticism (Yoga), which harshly pulled me away from my goal. It's too lengthy to tell the whole story, but in the end my dreams and my intense and very intimate feeling of my true inner core helped me to find my way.
I had a similar experience growing up. I was indoctrinated into mainstream christianity, and being a free thinker started questioning it more and more as I got older. eventually I cut ties entirely with the spiritual world leading me to a terrible nihilistic mindset ( naturally I became very depressed). It got to the point I was desperate to connect with something more to find any form of meaning. I eventually felt drawn with my whole being to take a psychedelic. I took Acid and experienced God/the spiritual world. It honestly saved me from suicide. After that it kickstarted my life in the spiritual and I never turned back.

Im really happy to have found this forum because its hard to talk about these things in the general populace

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Peeking ahead to Lesson 2, Tarot Basics, I can see right away one point of divergence for myself personally. I'm just not into Rider-Waite decks. I like Tarot de Marseilles better, and even the basic pip cards can be quite useful. I bought, read, and constantly reference Tarot The Open Reading by Dr Yoav Ben-Dov. So, yeah, the tarot is in you. The cards are just a means of drawing the images to mind, much like the notes I take each night hopefully help me remember my dreams in some detail in the morning. Other than that, the rest of Lesson 2 looks quite interesting, and it should lead to improved readings over time.

I might as well get started on Lesson 2 now even though I'm still working on the meditations of Lesson 1. Mastery of a meditation won't happen in a few days, at least not for me. It took me a thousand (and probably more) arrows (shot 8 at a time and recovered from the target) over a period of a few months to be able to hit a target consistently at 25 meters without any kind of targeting sight other than visualizing the line of the arrow to the target. Now, I can do it almost without thinking. There are no shortcuts to mastery of any art.

Reaction score
Awards
Im looking forward to Quareia, I really am, but I have vowed to work a few books first.
It's actually more like a handful. Have added Magical Trilogy to the list.