• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Help] Question on the Bible and Tarot

Someone's asking for help!
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,

I regularly use certain psalms to meditate on a major arcana card for the day.B ut I started to think. Could there be more..Or am I simply being obsessive?

Certain psalms have 22 letters.
Psalms 119 has 22 stanzas with seven verses each.
1 Kings has 22 chapters .

Am I reaching, am I looking for something that's not there?

Waite and Case spoke of history of the tarot. That a group of wise men were trying to do the same or similar method.

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
There's a basis for working meditation right there.

Reach, because there is always something there, though only you through your inspiration and receptivity can determine that. It's just a question of what is relevant to your purpose.
I think you are aware that the minor cards each have two Shem angels who each have a psalm verse, right? Except Yebemiah, of course. Maybe one other...have to check.
However, a caution as the Bible has some variations between Catholic and Protestant versions.

Reaction score
Awards
There's a basis for working meditation right there.

Reach, because there is always something there, though only you through your inspiration and receptivity can determine that. It's just a question of what is relevant to your purpose.
I think you are aware that the minor cards each have two Shem angels who each have a psalm verse, right? Except Yebemiah, of course. Maybe one other...have to check.
However, a caution as the Bible has some variations between Catholic and Protestant versions.
Thank you ... Will reach for The Star .. I mean the stars. :)

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you're not reaching, you're just regurgitating. I'm not sure how far in CS Lewis went (he was a devout Christian), but he gave one of the best definitions of a bad (and by extension) a good practitioner:

"You are a little, peddling Magician who works by rules and books. There is no real Magic in your blood and heart."

So there's what NOT to do :)

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If you're not reaching, you're just regurgitating. I'm not sure how far in CS Lewis went (he was a devout Christian), but he gave one of the best definitions of a bad (and by extension) a good practitioner:

"You are a little, peddling Magician who works by rules and books. There is no real Magic in your blood and heart."

So there's what NOT to do :)
Look, this rules and books thing in magic you know, it's like with treasure maps. Everybody wants them to be genuine. Of course. All problems be solved at once, you be rich and all. Plus the hope and the fun to get there. The tension and companions and the stories to tell. Even if there is no treasury. Psychology calls this a flow. It is highly addictive.

These magical treasure maps are easy to fake and sold for nine-nintynine in every dive. Or even for free in the pirate's hideout. But are they real?

Or, in other words, would you draw a map of a treasury that you buried somewhere on an abandoned island? Make a thousand copies of it? Distribute them?

BUT you have to start somewhere. Get experience. Then, of course, draw your own map and finally find that gold.

Sadly, most don't. So they draw a map and sell it. At least some money.

Reaction score
Awards
Not to mention, frowning on rules and books can then extend to frowning on law and education.
Point taken. Some magicians are in it for the title. Some are in it for money.
Most are in it for power.
But there are those pioneers who put up with everything else to find their freedom to explore.

At least to me it seems.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
"The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd. And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." - Ecclesiastes 12: 11, 12 KJV

(FWIW, the context is about fearing God and obeying him, which makes the atheist in me cringe, but whatever.)

As for the original post, yeah, it's no accident that 22 comes up in Scripture so often, being that the Hebrew alphabet in its most concise form has 22 letters. Eliphas Lévi was the first to write a book linking the Hebrew alphabet to the tarot, though at the time the English tarot didn't exist. For example, Eliphas Lévi linked Aleph with The Magician card of the TdM. Then the English Hermeticists attempted to find some grand unification of magickal correspondences and reordered the tarot and Hebrew alphabet associations. It doesn't really matter if Aleph is The Magician or The Fool, so use what you know and believe. By all means, meditate upon Psalm 119 and the major arcana cards, and record your thoughts here.

Reaction score
Awards
So ... Card of the Day: XVI The Blasted Tower.
Keep in mind Peh means "mouth"
Ps 119: Peh (KJV)
119:130 "The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding to the simple."
119:133 "Order my steps in thy world: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me."
119:134 "Deliver me from the oppression of man: so will I keep thy precepts."

This is possible cherry picking of verses and I've omitted chain references of the verses.

Psalms 33:16 "There is no king saved by the multitude of an host: a mighty man is not delivered by much strength."
17: "An horse is a vain thing for safety: neither shall he deliver any by his great strength."

Psalms
34:16 "The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to it off the remembrance of them from the earth.
34:17 "The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivery them out of all their troubles."

Reaction score
Awards
Then we can look at Revelation chapter 16 and 17, where we see references to destruction, outpouring of wrath and spoken words or understanding;
Even the word revelation, can be in the terms of Paul Foster cases interpretation of key 16 the Tower, as an Awakening.

I'm portraying 16 and 17 as unknowing order 9f the Hebrew letter Peh. As it is my card of the day.

Revelation also has 22 chapters like 1 Kings.

Reaction score
Awards
Today's card of the day is III The Empress, Daughter of the Mighty Ones; Daleth, door, 4; Venus/Netzach. Path between Chokmah and Binah, Neptune and Saturn.

My references were 1 Kings 3, Revelation 3, Psalm 119 Daleth, 25, 33, 34, 38.

None of the psalms matched up that I could tell for verse 4 on 25, 33, 34, 38.
Rev and 1 Kings had food for thought
Rev 3 mentions a key that opens what man cannot open and shuts what man cannot.
1 Kings 8s the story of Solomon, the live and dead babies and the two mother's, where his wisdom and understanding are magnified through God onto Solomon to cleave the live baby in half, which revealed the true and false mothers.

The Empress has a shield with a symbol of Venus on it, a pregnant young woman, a diadem of stars, and a couch she rests on that is red. Passion and purity.

They don't seem to match up.
So this brings up more questions.

Reaction score
Awards
What about Qabala? Perhaps the meanings of the words are not as important as the numbers that the letters add up to (in Hebrew)?
Gematria and Qabalah are good ideas.
I don't have a Greek Gematria chart, but it may be in The Golden Dawn 7th Ed.
Hebrew Gematria I pretty much know.
The problems:
English KJV Bible, Green English Interlinear NT and Siddur are all I own.
It will therefore take more time to correlate them.
It could also be irrelevant to the card drawn.
So, today's card is XIII Death. Scorpio. Transformation.
So likely I will find relevance in 1 Kings 14 and Rev 14.

William66

Solomonic practitioner
Reaction score
Awards
Hi all,

I regularly use certain psalms to meditate on a major arcana card for the day.B ut I started to think. Could there be more..Or am I simply being obsessive?

Waite and Case spoke of history of the tarot. That a group of wise men were trying to do the same or similar method.
The bible and tarot have connections, just like the story of Solomon(some parts tho), but you are reaching, there are more we don’t see(haven’t understod yet).

Reaction score
Awards
1 Kings 14 does line up (oddly enough) with key XIII, Rev 14 lines up nicely.

Slept with their fathers means that king or character passed away.

Was not means in terms of Enoch, was only on earth for a short time.

Psalms 119, Nun(105-112), does not line up in meaning. Ps 25:14 comes close.

Reaction score
Awards
I have to say im split 50/50 on whether or not I'm reaching on this.
Example -
Psalms 119: 9-16 is the Beth Stanza. According to interpretations of Sephardic Hebrew, Beth means "House and has a Gematric value of 2. My card of the day is obviously the Magician.

In 1Kings 2, we see magic and the seat of magic taking the throne, where David before passing after reigning for forty years, gives two green lights on war and cursing on two transgressors to King David's time. Power is pulled from above. The definitions of the card - hidden wisdom, skill, tact, focus are exhibited by King Solomon, son of King David. Christ is said to be 9f the seed 9f David, psalm 2 written by David speaks of the begotten son.
Reading next: Revelation 2 and Psalms 119 Beth.
Gimel and the High Priestess is next (not random, just cycling through for 22 days).

JAYFICTION

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
There is absolutely a solid connection between the 22 Hebrew letters, The Book Of Psalms, Qabalah, and Magick. Psalms is attributed to King Solomon, the “ Greatest Sorcerer Ever” in Occult Lore.
I remember finding website a couple of months ago that fully explained how it all connects and I cannot find it right now, however you have piqued my curiosity in finding it.
This is an example of Using Psalms for finding special Shemaphorash Angels, Divine Names, and passwords for Rituals with the book of Psalms:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

JAYFICTION

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
There is absolutely a solid connection between the 22 Hebrew letters, The Book Of Psalms, Qabalah, and Magick. Psalms is attributed to King Solomon, the “ Greatest Sorcerer Ever” in Occult Lore.
I remember finding website a couple of months ago that fully explained how it all connects and I cannot find it right now, however you have piqued my curiosity in finding it.
This is an example of Using Psalms for finding special Shemaphorash Angels, Divine Names, and passwords for Rituals with the book of Psalms:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
Here is another example from that book Brother Moloch is peddling. I would say you can form your own way of creating rituals by doing the work you are doing now or get the book if so inclined.
From his Psalm book....

Psalm 38 (Yahweh, Manakel)

38:1 O Jehovah, don’t rebuke me in your wrath, neither chasten me in your hot displeasure.

38:2 For your arrows have pierced me, your hand presses hard on me.

38:3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation, neither is there any health in my bones because of my sin.

38:4 For my iniquities have gone over my head. As a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.

38:5 My wounds are loathsome and corrupt, because of my foolishness.

38:6 I am pained and bowed down greatly. I go mourning all day long.

38:7 For my waist is filled with burning. There is no soundness in my flesh.

38:8 I am faint and severely bruised. I have groaned by reason of the anguish of my heart.

38:9 Adonai, all my desire is before you. My groaning is not hidden from you.

38:10 My heart throbs. My strength fails me. As for the light of my eyes, it has also left me.

38:11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my plague. My kinsmen stand far away.

38:12 They also who seek after my life lay snares. Those who seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and meditate deceits all day long.

38:13 But I, as a deaf man, don’t hear. I am as a mute man who doesn’t open his mouth.

38:14 Yes, I am as a man who doesn’t hear, in whose mouth are no reproofs.

38:15 But it is for you, O Jehovah that I wait; you O Adonai A-label, who will answer. For in you, Yahweh, do I hope. You will answer, Lord my God.

38:16 For I said, “Don’t let them gloat over me, or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips.”

38:17 For I am ready to fall. My pain is continually before me.

38:18 For I will declare my iniquity. I will be sorry for my sin.

38:19 But my enemies are vigorous and many. Those who hate me without reason are numerous.

38:20 They who also render evil for good are adversaries to me, because I follow what is good.

66-Manakel: Ps.38 v21: Do not forsake me, O Jehovah; O Alahei do not be far from me.

38:22 Hurry to help me, Lord, my salvation.

Uses:

• to know hidden things
  • receive revelations in sleep
  • against slander
  • for protection
  • justice against bad businesses
Pass phrase: “I come to you, Manakel in the name of Yahweh…”

Pass Word: “Adonai Alahei, Atahe Taayinuhe!”

Reaction score
Awards
Here is another example from that book Brother Moloch is peddling. I would say you can form your own way of creating rituals by doing the work you are doing now or get the book if so inclined.
From his Psalm book....

Psalm 38 (Yahweh, Manakel)

38:1 O Jehovah, don’t rebuke me in your wrath, neither chasten me in your hot displeasure.

38:2 For your arrows have pierced me, your hand presses hard on me.

38:3 There is no soundness in my flesh because of your indignation, neither is there any health in my bones because of my sin.

38:4 For my iniquities have gone over my head. As a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me.

38:5 My wounds are loathsome and corrupt, because of my foolishness.

38:6 I am pained and bowed down greatly. I go mourning all day long.

38:7 For my waist is filled with burning. There is no soundness in my flesh.

38:8 I am faint and severely bruised. I have groaned by reason of the anguish of my heart.

38:9 Adonai, all my desire is before you. My groaning is not hidden from you.

38:10 My heart throbs. My strength fails me. As for the light of my eyes, it has also left me.

38:11 My lovers and my friends stand aloof from my plague. My kinsmen stand far away.

38:12 They also who seek after my life lay snares. Those who seek my hurt speak mischievous things, and meditate deceits all day long.

38:13 But I, as a deaf man, don’t hear. I am as a mute man who doesn’t open his mouth.

38:14 Yes, I am as a man who doesn’t hear, in whose mouth are no reproofs.

38:15 But it is for you, O Jehovah that I wait; you O Adonai A-label, who will answer. For in you, Yahweh, do I hope. You will answer, Lord my God.

38:16 For I said, “Don’t let them gloat over me, or exalt themselves over me when my foot slips.”

38:17 For I am ready to fall. My pain is continually before me.

38:18 For I will declare my iniquity. I will be sorry for my sin.

38:19 But my enemies are vigorous and many. Those who hate me without reason are numerous.

38:20 They who also render evil for good are adversaries to me, because I follow what is good.

66-Manakel: Ps.38 v21: Do not forsake me, O Jehovah; O Alahei do not be far from me.

38:22 Hurry to help me, Lord, my salvation.

Uses:

• to know hidden things
  • receive revelations in sleep
  • against slander
  • for protection
  • justice against bad businesses
Pass phrase: “I come to you, Manakel in the name of Yahweh…”

Pass Word: “Adonai Alahei, Atahe Taayinuhe!”
Thanks for this, will try to form a ritual of it. I didn't get a chance to explore Gimel and the high priestess yesterday due to being Gimel on the job.
Today is Daleth, 4, Door, the Empress.