• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Questions on occult oils

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys, I just started getting into essential oils for work related stuff. It just occurred to me that there is a range of oils that are also used for occult ceremony.

Other than the usual's like sandalwood, frankincense, dragons blood. I would definitely want to know what other oils are used in our practice.

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been making my own hoodoo oils for five years now so I would say most of the essential oils have spiritual properties and can definitely be used for various things.

I haven’t worked with all essential oils tbh but that’s because I only work with the ones available in my country. But if you have questions about a specific oil let me know I might be able to help.
i would definitely be interested in that. :)

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you're looking for some references, Scott Cunningham's "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews" has a ton of recipes. Anna Riva's "Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils" is a decent reference too. That one doesn't have many recipes if any at all, but it describes different oils and blends and their uses. One of my favorites though is Malcolm Mills' "Potion Book Oils". It has a ton of recipes that can help you understand the components, and through research each one you can slowly learn the properties. I don't know of any essential oil reference books per say, but I'm a google search will lead to many results.

You can start by trying to think of the oils you'll need for the kind of work you're currently doing. Then over time, visiting local shops and/or ordering online, you can start building a small collection of commonly used essential oils and ones you'll need directly for your practices. With a carrier like jojoba or grape seed (the oil I mainly use) you can then start creating your own blends and experimenting with scent, effect, etc. The world of essential oils is vast, but by diving into it you'll also learn about the plants behind the oils.
this would interest me aswell. ill see if I can pick up those books

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
If you're looking for some references, Scott Cunningham's "The Complete Book of Incense, Oils & Brews" has a ton of recipes. Anna Riva's "Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils" is a decent reference too. That one doesn't have many recipes if any at all, but it describes different oils and blends and their uses. One of my favorites though is Malcolm Mills' "Potion Book Oils". It has a ton of recipes that can help you understand the components, and through research each one you can slowly learn the properties. I don't know of any essential oil reference books per say, but I'm a google search will lead to many results.

You can start by trying to think of the oils you'll need for the kind of work you're currently doing. Then over time, visiting local shops and/or ordering online, you can start building a small collection of commonly used essential oils and ones you'll need directly for your practices. With a carrier like jojoba or grape seed (the oil I mainly use) you can then start creating your own blends and experimenting with scent, effect, etc. The world of essential oils is vast, but by diving into it you'll also learn about the plants behind the oils.

Incidentally, i got the book by Scott Cunningham. I wonder if mixing the herbs together before extracting would lead to more potent blend. Im procuring a small scale oil distillation rig here in my country. I like how ylang ylang is also worked into some of the recipes as its found here in my country.

essential_oil_still.png

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Oh good stuff on the still! I had built one a few years back that was really fun and useful, although it didn't really work as well as a manufactured one or lab equipment. I wonder as well about making blends before extraction, very interesting thought. Normally, one would extract oils individually from different things and then mix those extracted oils. But it's possible that in the process of distillation, the essences within each plant of the blend would start to intertwine themselves together resulting a deeper molecular bond than just mixing a few drops of this and that. This is making me want to get a still now too :LOL:

Btw, is that picture the same model of the still you're getting?1

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Oh good stuff on the still! I had built one a few years back that was really fun and useful, although it didn't really work as well as a manufactured one or lab equipment. I wonder as well about making blends before extraction, very interesting thought. Normally, one would extract oils individually from different things and then mix those extracted oils. But it's possible that in the process of distillation, the essences within each plant of the blend would start to intertwine themselves together resulting a deeper molecular bond than just mixing a few drops of this and that. This is making me want to get a still now too :LOL:

Btw, is that picture the same model of the still you're getting?1

Not exactly, I can seem to upload the image I have on my laptop of the actual still. But its the closest I can find online that looks like it haha.

I can imagine that there might be a good chance at a better blend as the oil droplets will have some time mixed as vapors in the chamber before condensing in the collection chamber haha. I had an oil extractor before as well but it was more macguyver than anything haha. Im leaving this one up to a professional to do.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Incidentally, i got the book by Scott Cunningham. I wonder if mixing the herbs together before extracting would lead to more potent blend. Im procuring a small scale oil distillation rig here in my country. I like how ylang ylang is also worked into some of the recipes as its found here in my country.
Nice! I'll be getting a copper still of my own as well. :)
And as far as blending goes, I'm of the mind that you should strive to get as pure of an extract as you can and then blend them later. At least, that's how it's done properly..

Reaction score
Awards
Hey guys, I just started getting into essential oils for work related stuff. It just occurred to me that there is a range of oils that are also used for occult ceremony.

Other than the usual's like sandalwood, frankincense, dragons blood. I would definitely want to know what other oils are used in our practice.
Dion Fortune has in The Mystical Qabalah outlined what oils or incense are necessary. A correspondence book like The Complete Magicians Tables or 777 should help. Bucklands Complete Book on Witchcraft has a section on making oils and incense.
I would seek out herb shops and get fresh cut herbs such as savory, rosemary, lavendar, etc. These can be used in various ways. Or flowers.