• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Ring a little bigger than the planet

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
here is a cool idea. If they made a big hard ring around the planet so it would float.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe it could be only a mile high

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Careful, broaching this topic will draw...them. You know...them. Eldritch uncanny figures chanting of harmonics greater and lesser, of arcs of minutes of angles, and unspeakable numeric mandalas. And all we wanted was a big planet that'd float. Set there and float like a stay-behind turd in the boy's room bowl.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
here is a cool idea. If they made a big hard ring around the planet so it would float.
Post automatically merged:

Maybe it could be only a mile high
Maybe we could call it Elysium.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Maybe we should call it Jörmungandr, much less inviting to the rich elite.
I already bought the domain name Jörmungandr_B&B.org just to be safe, entrepreneurially speaking. Reach the retirees with "Take a gander at Jörmungandr." Draw gay cruises with "Come polyandr at Jörmungandr." And so on...

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
maybe we are being guided to fit a mold alien culture surely. Even if they aren’t directly communicating I guess. Arc grid does seem like something that could get things going on this planet in the ability to do magic realm. Especially with that magnetic count Bruce Cathie wrote, though I strongly urge myself and others to evolve with much emotional intelligence making the progress or other words without technology maybe, then when evolved we know how to stay awake if technologies physical or mental may be in a way unsustainable for certain magical metaphysics.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Who says we're "evolving"? The preponderence of evidence for the last 5,000 years smacks of spiritual devolution.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Who says we're "evolving"?
It's the "progress" myth. And an incorrect view of natural selection. The yeast in the carboy that I used to make beer discovered a huge 'resource' in the barley malt. Their population exploded, creating wonderful ethanol, but then they died en-masse just after their peak of exponential expansion, and their remains settled on the bottom of the container. I do not know if they ever had plans for a trans-carboy ring, but I did enjoy the beer. 🍻

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
It's the "progress" myth. And an incorrect view of natural selection. The yeast in the carboy that I used to make beer discovered a huge 'resource' in the barley malt. Their population exploded, creating wonderful ethanol, but then they died en-masse just after their peak of exponential expansion, and their remains settled on the bottom of the container. I do not know if they ever had plans for a trans-carboy ring, but I did enjoy the beer. 🍻
'Tis sad how the modest ol' word "evolution" became a Shibboleth. About the only folks I can think of who make a point of questioning the notion are grouches like Evola and Rene Guenon.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Oh thanks for reminding me. I had intended to download a copy of Revolt Against the Modern World, which was already on my to-read list, and did so just now. As much as I have enjoyed science fiction over the decades, I find most of it rather lacking in actual science. That is, it's really just another category of fantasy fiction where the drama is set in impossible locations or with impossible technology. The drama is almost always based on the troubles-du-jour of the writers. The juxtaposition can be useful in the capable hands of certain thinkers, but so often readers get caught up in the progress myth, thinking that "hey, we'll have that technology some day, you'll see!"

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Oh thanks for reminding me. I had intended to download a copy of Revolt Against the Modern World, which was already on my to-read list, and did so just now. As much as I have enjoyed science fiction over the decades, I find most of it rather lacking in actual science. That is, it's really just another category of fantasy fiction where the drama is set in impossible locations or with impossible technology. The drama is almost always based on the troubles-du-jour of the writers. The juxtaposition can be useful in the capable hands of certain thinkers, but so often readers get caught up in the progress myth, thinking that "hey, we'll have that technology some day, you'll see!"
Right. I have my own cross to have borne. Back during COVID, I had a lot of classes teaching English to kids using Harry Potter. (Not my idea of course book.) The technological mindset permeates those books to a loathsome degree. Where Buzz Blackhole flips a switch, Harry & posse flick the ol' wand.