• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Sabbats

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Do you observe the Sabbats? If so, which ones? Do you do full rituals? Spell work? Just honoring the day with foods and actions relative to the spirit of the Sabbat?

We're planning to observe Yule with foods, libations, and a Yule log that we burn tealights in bc we don't have anywhere to burn the whole log rn. We've never really observed Yule, choosing Christmas instead bc it was how we were raised, but I've been trying to get back to my witchy roots (I fell off for a while), and Yule lends itself so well to kitchen witchery.

I'm going to do something with cinnamon (but not snickerdoodles bc I've burnt Incog out on them), a whiskey/ginger ale drink, and I'm waffling between roast beef sandwiches and a full roast. Beef prices are out of control here rn.

Got any plans I can steal...I mean borrow? 😇

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I know this site is called Wizard forums and all that, but personally, I am not very interested in the traditional practice of Witchcraft/Wicca. Mainly because it is something (from all my reading) that seems to be more group-oriented, and I am a solo practitioner. I have heard of a few books that approach solo witchcraft, including conducting Sabbats, etc. But even still... I'm not yet into these "big" more elaborate forms/practices of magick. I generally favour more low-maintenance, one-off type things... which I guess is somewhat a chaos magick thing. I'm not opposed to doing longer-form practice, but even then it has to be for some succint and clear purpose that I am striving for.

I've stayed away from sabbats, equinox/solstice stuff, because they almost seem... "extra-curricular" to me, I'm struggling to find the proper words to describe this, but I hope you get what I mean? Like I know they have a purpose, but it's more of a general, ritualistic, for the sake of tradition/practice kind of thing.

But that's just from what I know from reading Wicca books. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I'm totally open to having my mind changed if you view sabbats differently. Perhaps you view them only as isolated celebrations? Or in this particular case, as a replacement for Christmas, once denouncing Christianity/not being a Christian?

Keen to know more.

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I know this site is called Wizard forums and all that, but personally, I am not very interested in the traditional practice of Witchcraft/Wicca. Mainly because it is something (from all my reading) that seems to be more group-oriented, and I am a solo practitioner. I have heard of a few books that approach solo witchcraft, including conducting Sabbats, etc. But even still... I'm not yet into these "big" more elaborate forms/practices of magick. I generally favour more low-maintenance, one-off type things... which I guess is somewhat a chaos magick thing. I'm not opposed to doing longer-form practice, but even then it has to be for some succint and clear purpose that I am striving for.

I've stayed away from sabbats, equinox/solstice stuff, because they almost seem... "extra-curricular" to me, I'm struggling to find the proper words to describe this, but I hope you get what I mean? Like I know they have a purpose, but it's more of a general, ritualistic, for the sake of tradition/practice kind of thing.

But that's just from what I know from reading Wicca books. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I'm totally open to having my mind changed if you view sabbats differently. Perhaps you view them only as isolated celebrations? Or in this particular case, as a replacement for Christmas, once denouncing Christianity/not being a Christian?

Keen to know more.
In the green craft, Sabbats are celebrated to mark the turning of the seasons, and things like when to plant, when to harvest, etc. They each have their own elemental relevance and meaning, and they follow the Wheel of the Year.

Yule, for example, is celebrated on the Winter Solstice (December 21), which is the shortest day of the year. As such, Yule is a time of hope and a celebration of the returning of the light. Some people see "the light" as the sun, others a chosen sun deity. When celebrating Yule, you want to use a lot of things relevant to light and fire, which is why we burn a Yule log, and where the roast beef, cinnamon, and ginger references come in. There's also gift giving as a nod to the rebirth of the sun/sun god.

The Sabbats came before Christianity, and most Christian holidays are Sabbats the Catholic Church repackaged to draw witches to Christianity. Even the American Thanksgiving was once a Sabbat celebration (known by most as the Harvest Home Feast), but Abraham Lincoln moved it from September to November and changed the name to make it an American holiday.

Santa Claus is actually a makeover of the Holly King who makes way for the Oak King in Spring. The Holly King was once referred to as "Old Nick" and brings toys to children on a sleigh with reindeer. The bells on his sleigh are meant to dispel negative energy and beings and welcome in the new year. The Catholic church turned "Old Nick" into "St. Nicholas," and began referring to Satan as "Old Nick" to aid in converting people who followed the old ways to their religion.

Sabbat celebrations don't have to be a big to-do. Most green traditions aren't. A lot is about intuition and working with the earth and elements and things you have on hand. I'm not much for ceremonial magic, and much prefer simple spells that I can throw together with the aid of a mortar and pestle, or my oven. Which is why we'll probably just incorporate some special dishes into our day. Burn some candles. Maybe ring some bells around the house.