• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Share Your Tips And Tricks For Meditation

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Meditation is pretty much the prerequisite for any type of Magick, meaning it's really important! And for me its one of the harder things to do. Whenever I try to meditate I can't seem to separate from them rushing thoughts. Please share your tricks of the trade when it comes to meditation.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Al-Zalaam

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Practice. And practice. Then more practice.

And then some more practice. :LOL:

Seriously though, meditation needs a structure of consistency more importantly than anything, which is the thing that people really struggle with more than meditation itself, and it's why many people never really seem to get a handle on it.

People can't just sit down once or twice a week and think they'll master meditation eventually, it needs a purposeful pursuit on a daily basis in order to develop efficiently and culminate into a more permanent state of being.
It's like pushing a boulder up a hill, and every day that passes where you don't practice, that boulder starts making its way down without hesitation.
So for many people, every time they go to practice meditation, most of that time is spent making up for regression and lost time, with only minor progression. Like waves on the shoreline, their progress comes and goes with the rhythm of their practice habits, and they just have to hope that they're practicing just enough to make it a little farther each time. Maybe after a few years they'll manage to push their line pretty far.

...... or there's option 2, where you just put your nose to the grindstone for a few weeks and master meditation like a mature Magician. 😂
It shouldn't take the average person more than 2-6 weeks to master any single meditation exercise if pursued in a proper fashion, with 3-4 being the most common from what I've seen.

This isn't just theoretical driveling from me either, it's something I've had to go through myself multiple times throughout my history.
In my case, this entailed the mastery of the three Thought Control exercises as found in the first step of the IIH, which are roughly equivalent to the exercises called Mindfulness meditation, Focal meditation, and Void meditation/Vacancy in the modern occult community.

When I was a late teen, I was a zealous little thing that had no problem mastering the first step of the IIH and the aforementioned exercises within the span of a few months. I was practicing every day, with no less than 10-20 minutes for each exercise and sometimes practicing the exercise(s) twice a day.
However, I would end up having to do it all over again from the beginning many years later because of my own neglect. I only bothered doing one or two of those exercises every once in a blue moon after I mastered them, and that added up over the years to a point where I had gone almost completely backwards, save for a decent grip of the first Mindfulness meditation.

So again, I strapped in and went through the process, taking about 2-3 months like before.

But then for a second time, years later, my development was the victim of my own neglect yet again and I had to do it all over for a total of three times.
Third time is the charm, luckily, and I've gotten it through my thick skull to maintain my developments after I have mastered them.

But it should be mentioned that it isn't a ruthless up-hill battle forever.
Once mastery of a meditation exercise is accomplished, you'll reap a near-permanent shift in your mental being that follows you through your every waking moment. And as long as you maintain that status quo with a modest degree of scheduled practice, you won't have to worry about that progress going out the window if you miss out on a few days or w/e.
It takes serious neglect, like what was done in my case, to regress once you reach this point of mastery.

A quick 10 minutes a day or every-other-day is all it really takes to maintain the mastery of a meditation exercise. And if you've gotten to a point where you've really mastered a meditation exercise in the first place, doing it for a measly 10 minutes a day should be near effortless and those minutes will fly by like the wind.
Essentially, it becomes no more difficult than brushing your teeth every day. :p
But in order to get to that point, development needs to be taken seriously and not treated as an afterthought, the work needs to get done.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I honestly have nothing more to add then what Heydi said here.

Just brute force it. Sometimes you gotta stubbornly keep trying. One day it will click.

Used to punch walls when I kept failing out of frustration. Even a self harming idiot such as myself got there. Means anyone can.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Do not control your thoughts, observe them. Your mind is like a surface of water, if you wait and watch it will eventually become silent.
So do you mean watching the water in your mind in a literal sense? Like focusing on a body of water in your minds eye? I don't know why I've had so much trouble with meditating. I definitely am serious about it, take time twice a day to sit down for 20-30 Mins. I've tried guided meditation, I've tried smoke in smoke out meditation, and that color meditation where you focus on the body's energy and picture it in three separate colors.
But I can't seem to get into that spot of Bliss, It's very frustrating that .

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
So do you mean watching the water in your mind in a literal sense? Like focusing on a body of water in your minds eye? I don't know why I've had so much trouble with meditating. I definitely am serious about it, take time twice a day to sit down for 20-30 Mins. I've tried guided meditation, I've tried smoke in smoke out meditation, and that color meditation where you focus on the body's energy and picture it in three separate colors.
No, unless your goal is to improve visualization. You do not need to try anything, all you need is patience to let your mind settle. The intellectual barrier is the harfest to overcome, we must always think we have to think a certain thing, or do certain procedures when sitting in the stillness brings the desired effect.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Bliss isnt found in the mind. Meditating can create the space to notice there is more then mind. 😉
Maybe the word bliss is being misunderstood in translation. All prerequisites for Magicka are usually meditation. Meditation and the desired state of quieting my mind, silence, peace, tranquility, stillness. One could say bliss as well.
Post automatically merged:

No, unless your goal is to improve visualization. You do not need to try anything, all you need is patience to let your mind settle. The intellectual barrier is the harfest to overcome, we must always think we have to think a certain thing, or do certain procedures when sitting in the stillness brings the desired effect.
Actually I'am working on visualization as well. Maybe I should work on one peace of the puzzle at a time. For me Meditation equals a quieting of the mind, stillness, the ability to be able to better communicate with Spirits / Here there answers and messages.

Last edited:

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I simply walk and let my mind either wander or focus on something, I don't try to force myself to be still and "have an empty head".
As I have ADHD, I wouldn't be able to do regular meditation either way so I do what it feels natural to me.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I use a small analog clock. I place it before me and focus my eyes on the movement of the second hand as it moves around the dial. I sit very still, yet comfortably relaxed for the duration of the meditation period. The goal is to be in that moment with a singular focus. If my eyes begin to glaze over and I find myself following some train of thought, I know I have lost focus. I bring my eyes back to the ticking hand.

I've daydreamed countless hours in my lifetime, picking up the habit from boredom at school and in incredibly dull religious meetings I attended with my parents as far back as I can remember. There's nothing special for me about letting my mind wander to the recent past or contemplate near future possibilities (with a tendency to being a worrywart too).

Jiggywiggy

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Here's my evolved steps I follow. I do this for 1hr a day usually at night. I take about 1 hour prior to stop all electronics(no tv or music). This helps stop intrusive thoughts more I find.

I prepare by getting into position, whichever is more comfortable at the time. Lights off. Relax, tongue touching to top of your mouth.

I start by breathing normally, but through the belly. Always the belly. Focusing on the breathing only for the first ten minutes. Any thoughts are observed and pictured drifting away afterwards(like dust blowing off a table).

I then increase the pace of my breathing. Not excessive, just more fast paced then normally. This is done for another 10 minutes. Always focusing on the breathing.

Afterwards I change focus to my forehead and let my body regulate my breathing and stay in this mode for the rest of the hour. The reason for this is I find I have better focus doing this for longer durations due to the hum I hear loudly at this point.

I've tested a few things that help to increase effectiveness. The food you eat can affect it. I find eating little and only fruits is the best. Fasting does help as well. The Moon phase can affect it(best time for me is the new moon). Use the bathroom beforehand and no sexy time for atleast a week(any type of sexy time).

I'm sure I'm missing something. Best of luck!

Lyssia

Apprentice
Reaction score
The problem with almost every meditation guide I've ever seen in beginning magick books, yoga guides, youtube, etc is that they tend to have a very "one size fits all" attitude, which is ridiculous. Especially since the guides are usually most intuitive for exactly the kind of person whose way of thinking means they don't really need the guides that much.

Meditation is generally the prerequisite for most magick. But don't confuse the destination for the journey. Is your goal to travel from, say, Cleveland to Chicago, or is the goal to take a train ride? Because once you figure that out, you have different options. Is your goal to master specific forms of meditation as an act of discipline, or is your goal to lay the foundational work for practicing effective magick? Because that's a different thing, and you can find that with a lot of practices that are meditation but aren't practiced at yoga classes.

So, to the practical. With that all said, if what you are doing isn't working for you, go ahead and invert it, one element at a time. Can't stop racing thoughts? Do what @Lemongrass00 said, just let them run and listen to them. Focus on looking for little thoughts that don't quite feel like yours anymore, those little instants of inspiration or insight that just might be a spirit interjecting. Can't calm your body down? Focus on meditating while exercising. Think about the elements you are taking for granted. Setting up a quiet and ritual space is all nice and good, but it also tells your mind that something Important is about to happen, and can set off performance anxiety, even when it's just you. So don't do it that way. Meditate while you are in the endless line at the grocery store, make it nothing more than not being frustrated waiting or distracted by your cell.

Pay attention to your body. People like to talk about both magick and meditation as being mostly mental, but I'm not a big supporter of that. If you're not comfortable in your body, it's very hard to be comfortable in your mind, and that goes far beyond being hungry or having to go to the bathroom. Masturbate first. Seriously. Nothing checks out our brains quite as much as sex, use it. Spend the act getting to know your own flesh, settling very deeply in your body, and use the quiet in your head after to slip into the meditative practice you want to do. Or, if just quieting your head is where you start, use that moment of orgasm to relax into that not-thinking of real rest, and take note of exactly how it feels, in your head, to get there. Go from there.

Finally, don't discount informal meditation. I've known a lot of people who are artists, craftspeople, writers, etc, who say they can't meditate, but go completely into a very deep trance while working. It doesn't matter what it is, if you have any creative outlet at all - and actually, computer gaming, too, will often do it - you probably meditate a lot more often than you think. Start there, do something simple and basic, but instead of focusing completely on the task, pull just a little back and focus on how it feels to do it. Takes a bit of practice at first, but much less than simply banging your head on the wall.

And on that note, I'm going to disagree with the "bang your head on the wall" method. No offense to anyone who has used it, and discipline is a basic magickal skill even more fundamental than meditation itself, but too often, and heartbreakingly, it's the hardest way to do something that just needs to be approached differently. You get there, but that's not the method, in my experience, that brings the most reward and the greatest progress. Magick is a passion, if I might be presumptuous, not a day job, if it's not a practice deeply enjoyable and rewarding in its own right, it's really not worth it.

TL;DR: I like Jason Miller, Aiden Wachter, and Lee Morgan for their approaches to meditation, so if you haven't checked them out yet, try them.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Be the Observer, when your mind is racing, stay there for a moment, and wait till your mind get's silent. And, then you can begin. In the end, it's all about patience.

Reaction score
Awards
A rosary amid low background noise.
W.E. Butler once stated if you can meditate successfully in a noisy intersection, you can meditate anywhere.
On a standard 54 or 108 bead rosary, you can use it one handed, using one hand with a mudra, while chanting mantras on the beads with the other hand.
Also get a clock that has audible ticking. You can use it like a metronome and breath control.
Breath is the real secret.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
You have to observe your breath and count to 5-7 sec breath in, keep your breath 5-7 sec and then breath out after 5-7 sec and keep on going 5-10 min or even longer. You will see what makes the difference.

Be the Observer, when your mind is racing, stay there for a moment, and wait till your mind get's silent. And, then you can begin. In the end, it's all about patience.
Observe your thoughts but the goal is to calm your head down and make the thoughts disappear.

Reaction score
Awards
I agree with the last reply.
Be careful with how long you hold your breath though. Ten to fifteen seconds can induce hallucinations, and possibly trouble your heart.

Bo Hanson

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
10 steps to meditation:

Step 1: Before you get started​

Before you start, you need to take care of a few practicalities. When are you going to do it each day? Where can you sit undisturbed? How will you even remember to do it? The first step is committing to a regular, daily practice. Taking 10 minutes out each day shouldn’t be difficult, but it’s easy to get caught up in everything that’s going on. Try to make it a regular part of your schedule. Create a space to sit at the same time each day. Mornings seem to work best for most people but find a time that works for you. Where you do it doesn’t matter, just as long as you’re unlikely to be interrupted. And lastly, wear whatever you like, although you might want to loosen ties or belts, or slip off high heels.

Step 2: Get settled​

Find a quiet space where you can relax. Sit comfortably in a chair with your hands resting in your lap or on your knees. Keep your back straight – sitting at the front of the seat might help. Your neck should be relaxed, with your chin slightly tucked in. Whether you’re using a timer or following an MP3, commit to practicing for the full time you’ve set aside, whether you find the session easy or difficult.

Step 3: Breathe deeply​

Defocus your eyes, gazing softly into the middle distance. Take five deep, audible breaths, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. On the last exhalation, allow your eyes to close.

Step 4: Check in​

Take a few moments to settle into your body. Gently observe your posture, and notice the sensations where your body touches the chair and your feet meet the ground. Feel the weight of your arms and hands resting on your legs. Acknowledge your senses: notice anything you can smell, hear or taste and sensations of heat, cold or wind.

Step 5: Scan your body​

Slowly turn your mind inwards. Scan your body from head to toe, observing any tension or discomfort. Don’t try to change what you find, simply take note of it. Scan again, although this time notice which parts of the body feel relaxed. Take about 20 seconds for each scan. Now turn your awareness to your thoughts. Notice any thoughts that arise without attempting to alter them. Gently note your underlying mood, just becoming aware of what’s there without judgment. If there’s nothing obvious, that’s fine, too.

Step 6: Consider the 'why'​

Pause for around 30 seconds and consider why you’re sitting today. Recognize any expectation or desire you’ve brought along, and let it go. Spread the love: take a moment to consider the wider effects of being mindful today. Feeling calmer helps you feel better – which in turn has a positive knock-on effect for people you encounter during the day, from colleagues to partners to your bus driver. Become aware of this ripple effect. Nothing to achieve: before you continue in the session, remind yourself that there’s no “thing” for you to do here – your only job is to sit for the full session, but beyond that, there is nothing for you to do in the normal sense of the word. All you have to do is step back and let it all unfold in its own time and own way.

Step 7: Observe the breath​

Bring your attention to your breathing. Don’t make any effort to change it, just observe the rising and falling sensation that it creates in your body. Notice where these sensations occur – be it your belly, your chest, your shoulders, or anywhere else. For a few moments, focus on the quality of each breath, noting whether it’s deep or shallow, long or short, fast or slow. Begin silently counting the breaths: 1 as you inhale, 2 as you exhale, 3 on the next inhalation, and so on, up to 10. Then start again at 1. While doing this, it’s completely normal for thoughts to bubble up. You don’t need to “do” anything – just guide your attention back to the breath when you realize the mind has wandered off. If you can remember the number you’d counted up to, start again from there, or start from 1 again. Continue until the timer sounds.

Step 8: Allow your mind to be free​

Spend 20-30 seconds just sitting. You might find yourself inundated with thoughts and plans, or feel calm and focused. Whatever happens, is completely fine. Enjoy the rare chance to let your mind simply be.

Step 9: Prepare to finish​

Become aware once more of the physical feelings: of the chair beneath you, where your feet make contact with the floor, your arms, and your hands resting in your lap. Notice anything you can hear, smell, taste or feel. When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes.

Step 10: Take it with you​

Before standing up, form a clear idea about what you’re going to do next, like brushing your teeth, making a cup of tea or getting your keys to leave the house. It’s so easy to just jump up off the seat and lose the calm and spacious quality you’ve just created. Try to carry this awareness with you to the next activity. Touch base: throughout the day, find small moments to remind yourself what it felt like to have that clarity and focused attention. Maybe when you first sit down at your desk at work, when you drink your morning coffee, or when you’re on the bus. You don’t need to do the whole exercise – just take a couple of deep breaths, notice how you feel, and observe any areas of tension.

I agree with the last reply.
Be careful with how long you hold your breath though. Ten to fifteen seconds can induce hallucinations, and possibly trouble your heart.
It is all about training. For 20 years ago I had problems holding my breath 4-5 sec but today I can hold it 15-20 sec without any problems. I usually use the cycle 10 - 15 - 8 (breath in - hold - breath out). Sometimes I use in short sessions the cycle of breathing 7 - 10 - 20. In this way, I get lots of energy in my body.