• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Tutorial] Shin of Shin Operation (HGA)

Informative post.
21st Century Mage (in the library) has a bunch of options for a daily practice to prepare yourself to invoke your HGA. This is one of them. It's very short, so can quite easily be added to a daily ritual stack. I've only been doing it a week, but it has felt powerful and I'm keen to see how things progress with it. The rest of this post is verbatim from the book (I recorded it as a guided meditation for myself, to be used for a short while till it's memorised)

shin.jpg

Shin is the Hebrew letter for the sound "sh." In Qabalistic symbolism, this letter signifies the spirit element. The Shin of Shin Operation is a ritual formula based on the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn's Neophyte ritual. The purpose of the Shin of Shin Ritual is to obtain the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel.

For simplicity, the Shin of Shin Operation can be reduced to a series of mental operations that result in the same effect. Magic need not be complicated in order to work.

I highly recommend that you begin this practice by performing a banishing ritual and then a self-purification and consecration.

Performing the Shin of Shin Operation

Sit in a position in which you can remain comfortably still.

Close your eyes and imagine that your body is a black egg.* It should be a deep flat black like absolute emptiness.

Imagine that you were floating above a black sea.

On your left is a giant pillar made of cloud. On your right a giant pillar of fire.

The two pillars descent deep into the darkness below you and rise up into the heavens infinitely far above you.

The right pillar represents the mercy and love of the universe, and the left pillar represents the severity and cruelty of the universe.

To equilibrate these opposites, imagine a point of divine white brilliance above you, shining down on your egg.

This is the descent of unity and wholeness, the descent of your [Holy Guardian Angel / Holy Diamon / Higher Genius / preferred term].

Pause and feel the two pillars and the light above.

Between you and this holiness, imagine a flashing sword that is like lightning.

Aspire towards the light.

With all your power, push all of your personal energy up through your spine.

(You are still a black egg, however.)

Push all of your personal energy up through your spine towards the point of light, keeping your attention on the flashing sword.

The more you push towards the light, the closer the flashing sword comes to you.

As you push with all your might toward the light, imagine the flashing sword descending upon you and striking you on the back of your neck, the shock and pain of which destroys your conscious personality.

Pause and feel your emptiness.

The two pillars and the white light are still there.

The holy light then sends a ray of light down upon you, spiralling around your egg three times, and your egg turns grey from this influx of light.

Pause and feel the small amount of light within you.

The holy light descends upon you again, spiralling around your egg three times, until your egg is nearly white.

Aspire again towards the light with all your power.

Push all of your personal energy up through your spine towards this light, keeping your attention on the flashing solid that is still before you.

The more you push towards the light, the closer the flashing sword comes to you.

As you push with all of your might towards the light, imagine the flashing sword descending upon you and striking you on the back of your neck, destroying you again.

This time a giant pyramid of flame appears in the midst of the divine light above you.

You feel the light filling you and the fire growing brighter.

Withdraw for a moment and show yourself that the two pillars still remain at your sides.

Then, with all of your might, aspire to and invoke the light and the fire that is above you, and allow all to disintegrate into this infinite boundless light.

* This is the Akashic Egg, which is the Indian Tattwa symbol that corresponds to the Western mystical concept of the spirit element. In many cultures, the egg is an archetypal symbol of the spiritual body and the universe.

It will probably take a bit of time for this operation to have an impact on you. The advantage of this technique is that it operates in pure symbols and has no dogmatic implications.

It is a very beautiful and powerful meditation. If this formula appeals to you, but you would like to do it as a ritual, simply act out the components within a magical circle.

Reaction score
Well I've never known an egg to have a spine, but there is some potential here. However, I want to be realistic and straight up here. A ritual like this is not going to lead to K&C, not on its own and certainly not in this form.

Your HGA is the angel of what the Bible refers to in Ecclesiastes as "the silver chord". It is that connection or tether between the God breather life in you, and the Life of God from whence that life came. If you dissolve fully into God your angel is no longer in play as there is no longer any distinction.

So, this imagery isn't in regards to witnessing the angel, rather it is of dissolving into and becoming one with the Holy Sea. However, I can see this reworked to be a potent exercise, aligning with ones angel and then crossing the abyss. It very much has a theme of space, primordial darkness and then going from perceiving nothingness as a void devoid to "no thing", without dasein, entering supernal no distinction.

I also want to stress that in making contact with the Holy Guardian Angel it is crucially important to make ones human animal subordinate to and serve their Spirit. To this end purity and piety is important. This does not have to be Christian moralizing but it does need to be disciplined control of ones urges and the sacrificing of ones carnal identity on the altar of the angel. No exercise or even ritual alone does this. The way to the Angel is very much the transmutation of habits and becoming the kind of person who is in alignment your angel. If you serve the spirit in you to do the works if the spirit, just as your angel serves to bring you that spirit..the more you will work in concert.

This is why the Abramelin Operation is not a single operation but rather an 18 month ordeal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you have to go an 18 month spiritual bender. What I am saying is that you to transform your habits and lifeways on a very deep and cute level elsewise it will not happen. I also want to stress that the HGA is such a personal entity that is between you and His alone, that different people come to K&C differently. What is constant though is that this happens at the very core, the very centrum of your being. You have to put every fiber of being into service if the divine spirit in you while also being willing to give up your very individual existence to it while at the same time letting it move through you to do the works needed in your family, community etc. it is this paradox of giving up the world to find your spirit so that you may play a part in the salvation thereof, all-the-while without having a saviour complex.

What brings you to Agape? To unconditional divine love for imperfect beings? What moves you to give if yourself to help others? What motivates you to grow as a person but not for your own status or sense of self? Go after these things instead of your angel, cultivate your habits to further align you to these, and Incorporating this into your Theurgic and ceremonial work, there you will find your angel. Nowhere else, but you've got to find for yourself what brings you there.

Also the Higher Genius is not the same as the HGA. Very similar but not the same. Consider what I said about the difference between the angels and Intelligences in the other thread and contemplate the nature of the Bornless Ritual in regards to your Higher Divine Genius. Likewise if you ever become a Mason of the Scottish Rite, consider the 16th and 32nd degrees in light of the Bornless Rite and the Higher Genius. That is all I can say on that matter.

I like the pillars of cloud and fire. For those who don't know these are manifestations of YHWH in the OT, guiding the people as a pillar of cloud by day and fire by night. These have significance both to aligning to God and being guided by God in the wilderness.

I would envision the sword as the faming sword or lightning strike if you haven't already and I would envision it striking you in-between the shiulder-blades. This is the intersection of Gimel and Tet on the tree, the balance point between Mercy and Severity as well as between God and your Spirit. Fir these reasons it is the space on the Tree where you are crowned by your Angel.

Now on the Rosicrucian Tree, which is the Tree of Life most are familiar with, it is convenient that the path of Gimel correspondents to the moon and this fact can be used to remind us of the silver chord, which would be on that path. However, on the original Lurianic Tree Shem is between Chockmah and Binah. When you are crowned with your angel , which is different from K&C coming after, the Shem descends and the Godname fir Tiphereth goes from YHVH to YHShVH. Again- contemplate this in the light of the Bornless ritual.

I can understand the imagery of dissolving into God but try embodying the image of God here. As Zues perhaps or some other skydaddy motif, eyes flashing with lightning and tongue as the lightning strike/flaming sword. This may have been the reasoning for the sword hitting you at the back of the beck as the throat chakra is connected to speech, degrees and ordination. Again the HG is not the HGA but one can indeed help bring the other.

The Egg also has Kneph, the Egg of Ptah/Ra and otherwise cosmic egg motifs.

I think with some key words and phrases, possibly from the Boneless One, adorations to the HG and HGA, this could become a powerful full fledged ritual operation.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
A ritual like this is not going to lead to K&C, not on its own and certainly not in this form.
I should have given more context - this is part of an Abramelin Operation laid out in 21st Century Mage, the book I linked in the post. The ritual is to be repeated daily for a 6-18 months alongside ardent devotion etc etc, the usual Abramelin stuff, as an alternative to, for eg, the Headless Rite, before a period of retreat in which you actually invoke the angel.

Sorry for the confusion!

In terms of your criticisms of the ritual itself - it wasn't designed by me, it's a Golden Dawn ritual, written out in more detail by Jason Newcomb in the book linked above. Not saying Golden Dawn is above criticism! Just that I don't have any response myself because I didn't write it

It's only a small part of my own daily practice, so I don't want to expand it at all - but hopefully your comments will be helpful for someone who wants to try building it out into something bigger
Post automatically merged:

This may have been the reasoning for the sword hitting you at the back of the neck
Wait I can maybe answer this part - I read Crowley's commentary on Shin of Shin and he said it was meant to disrupt Da'ath - but I'm not sure whether he was speaking about the original intended GD symbolism or his own theorising on the ritual

Last edited: