• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Sir Francis Drake

Friggasdottir

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
So I homeschool my youngest daughter and we're covering Elizabethan England right now and I've gone down a rabbit hole with Sir Francis Drake. I'd never heard that he was reportedly a wizard and had a magic mirror with which he could see anything in the world he wanted and a drum (shamanic?) which after his death was reported to have been heard on the eve of both world wars. He was said to be skilled in all manner of magic and used it against the Spanish Armada. Granted most of this is from the Spanish who believed him to be using the Devil against them. 😁
Has anyone heard of any of this and have any thoughts to weigh in on this? Is this no more than patriotic folklore and propaganda (even though most of it seems to be from the Spaniards)?
History's hidden little gems always fascinated me. 😁

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I've heard the stories about John Dee's mirror and anti-Armada activities, but never Drake. It would not surprise me. Back then, most educated men had at least a passing acquaintance with such arts. I recall (reading) Bacon defended such saying the just as a doctor needs to know poisons, so the learned man needs to know demons. Keep us posted if you turn anything up. Looking online just now, every allusion I found referred to Spanish sources.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I read an account that John Dee re-activated an Atlantean treaty with the sea gods and the sea gods provided the storm for the Spanish armada.

For some centuries after that Britannia ruled the waves.

Even as late as WW2 there was a strange calmness in the English Channel that allowed small pleasure craft to help evacuate the British Army at Dunkirk

Were all the early British gods amphibious?

Taudefindi

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
History's hidden little gems always fascinated me.
History always was interesting to me but school always made it look so boring and dry, it took entering university to see that there are even History courses that actively study magic or how societies of old intertwined the idea of magic with their religious practices and their culture.
Something that you wouldn't ever think if you heard someone say "I study History", but there are even research groups dedicated to it.

Learning the past can be a blast with the right tools and knowledge.

Recently I started to read a book called A Supernatural War by Owen Davies, which in short talks about the existence or use of the supernatural during the First World War.Though this is more focused on the sociological and cultural aspect rather than "this person was a known Wizard", but so far it seems to be a good read.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As I recall Dion Fortune was part of a magical group that thought they influenced WW2

stalkinghyena

Labore et Constantia
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone heard of any of this and have any thoughts to weigh in on this? Is this no more than patriotic folklore and propaganda (even though most of it seems to be from the Spaniards)?
I had not, though my first thought was a connection to John Dee and his relationship with various navigators of the time. But I found this link to an article which covers the Drake legends:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Then I also found this, which sort of links Drake to Dee:

With respect to this last one, I take some issue with its claims, for instance:

"In 1582 Dee began dabbling in the Black arts, which Drake being a devout Christian, would have abhorred."
Worthy of question, first of all as to when Dee "began". The Drake connection I look forward to enquiring into further.

But also:
"To escape the mob that raised his home, Dee fled to Holland and then to Bohemia."
Factually inaccurate.* This is not why Dee "fled" England. He would learn of the sack of Mortlake much later, while on the continent. He owed a lot of people a lot of money.

*EDIT: I am not entirely certain of the date of the mob attack, but the most recent thing I read on it is that Dee found out from a letter from his brother-in-law after the so-called "break" with Kelley.
But I found this timeline, which might be helpful in correlating with Drake's activities:

It would not surprise me. Back then, most educated men had at least a passing acquaintance with such arts.
I had read a couple of bios on Jerome Cardan (in England during the reign of Edward VI), who basically lived by omens. The notion that he was not that much different than his contemporaries, though inclined to record them meticulously, I find an intriguing line of inquiry.
But the fact alone that Drake was a sailor - who in all ages have held wonderous and strange beliefs - should say something about him that correlates with occult leanings.

I recall (reading) Bacon defended such saying the just as a doctor needs to know poisons, so the learned man needs to know demons.
Definitely intrigues me as well. It seems to echo Albertus Magnus's view that necromantic books - though "bad" - should not be destroyed, probably for similar reasons. Also, if I recall correctly, Thomas Hobbes seemed inclined to the belief in spirits, though he argued that they were "corporeal", albeit a finer sense, probably because he was a "materialist" in the hard sense. It's interesting to note that Ficino categorized spirits in subtle corporeal terms, if I recall correctly.

All these potential ins and outs are fascinating. Francis Yates suggested, as an appeal to further research, that men like Dee, Bruno (who was in England while Dee was out) and even Agrippa were associated with nascent secret societies that would eventually emerge as the Rosicrucian's, which I think would be easy enough to tie to Bacon.

As I recall Dion Fortune was part of a magical group that thought they influenced WW2
Yes, as recorded in The Magical Battle of Britain, which is not only interesting occult history, but has practical value and is an insight into Fortune's semi-mediumistic approach.

Last edited:

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Rene Guenon had a serious heart attack in 1945 the same week Julius Evola was crippled for life walking around Vienna outside during an Allied bombing raid. They both thought the events' coinciding was no coincidence.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Rudolf Steiner had trouble with the dark magicians of the Nazis

After WW2 and Operation Paperclip it is hard to find purely light groups

"Radionics is used by intelligence agencies in Psychotronic or psi warfare. The CIA, FBI and in England MI5 and MI6 all use radionics/psychotronics as stealth warfare. "

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Rudolf Steiner had trouble with the dark magicians of the Nazis

After WW2 and Operation Paperclip it is hard to find purely light groups

"Radionics is used by intelligence agencies in Psychotronic or psi warfare. The CIA, FBI and in England MI5 and MI6 all use radionics/psychotronics as stealth warfare. "
OK, I'll bite. What's a "light" group?