• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

So do all of you keep a journal?

Reaction score
Awards
If you keep a journal, then what do you personally put into your journal?
I have several sections, the first three entries the day line (Day, mm/dd/yy, planet associated, planet color to look for that day), moon phase, planetary transits.
Then I have several physical and mental categories including mood, depression and anxiety levels.
Then meditations, visualizations, energy, protection, tools, adorations, rituals, tarot stuff, and reading notes.
I wonder if my journals might be viewed one day such as mss files are today :)

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I don't really journal often at all, but I have a notebook where I keep certain things I want myself to remember. Mainly any big spells or herbal shit I try out. For these, I also like to jot down a little "after" section of what the results turned out being.
I've also written down stuff about individual herbs, names of angels I've discovered, divination results and important visions. It's mainly all for myself, though sometimes it is nice to wonder what somebody centuries from now would make of it all.

Another thing I do to my notebooks that probably isn't common, is make a little pocket to keep paper talismans in. It's just pretty convenient for storing them long-term.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I wouldn't call it a journal, but I make note of things I have done that have worked well, and things that haven't worked well that I want to pursue with a different approach/variables.

Maulbeere

Neophyte
Reaction score
I don't keep a daily diary, I've tried a couple of times and found it too much of an effort that didn't have a point... I wouldn't read back what I did last week let alone years ago. :) What's done is done. If I want data for tracking I make a special journal, like, for food sensitivity issues.

I do keep a notebook for ceremonial workings, one for dream-work and one for my remote viewing sessions. I sometimes do a dedicated journal when I do a path-working or work my way through a book or current. I like to record converastions when I get them. For these notebooks, I leave a page at the front for contents and number the pages as part of closing out the journal, or they'd be useless as well. The date is less important to me than the results.

Reaction score
Awards
Gotcha. I need to keep a diary, its the only structure, foundation, and accountability I currently have for myself.
I do like the idea of separate journals. I was going to start them for all areas, divination, alchemy, etc on to rituals, dreams, and workings.
The issues I still struggle with are spirit communication and general proof of magic. Perhaps Al is right, perhaps I should make rituals for comic purposes observable only to me. Or, perhaps the stoic grumpy old sages were right, and it should be taken seriously.

Roma

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Long ago I kept a journal of meditations for a year. These days I post edited accounts of interesting experiences on forums in case they are useful to others.

Maulbeere

Neophyte
Reaction score
Gotcha. I need to keep a diary, its the only structure, foundation, and accountability I currently have for myself.
I do like the idea of separate journals. I was going to start them for all areas, divination, alchemy, etc on to rituals, dreams, and workings.
The issues I still struggle with are spirit communication and general proof of magic. Perhaps Al is right, perhaps I should make rituals for comic purposes observable only to me. Or, perhaps the stoic grumpy old sages were right, and it should be taken seriously.
I think it's all good.
I mean, there's no "shoulds", I don't think... there's just what works for you, and that's ok, isnt it? You don't have to match what everyone else does.

I'd say, why not try it all ways, how else will you find out what works for you? Why not have serious fun? :D

Some people love routines and find them freeing because you don't have to think about making the decision to do them, some, like me, find routines confining and restrictive, and will actively fight them. For me, it's the fastest way to get me to self sabotage.

But left to my own devices it just all falls into place, because I'm doing what I want to do towards a specific goal as efficiently and as quickly as I want to hat fits with everything else I'm up to. I don't normally do my research linearly anyway, I sort of spiral around subjects going a bit deeper each time I pass through, and often finding one would inform the others... bonus. Used to drive my routine loving, linear thinking ex nuts :D. They'd be like, "pick a thing and do it until it's finished!", and I was all "nah, it'll be fine".

Reaction score
Awards
A mess of unorganized and scattered things in different notebooks. Screenshots on my phone and emailed to myself, bookmarked pages in books, sticky notes.

One day I procrastinate to organize it all in writing in a nice big blank book. I’m practicing calligraphy with the hopes of getting good enough to actually do a half decent job of it. I’d like to leave my kids a nice grimoire to perhaps add to and pass down

Reaction score
Awards
This honestly sounds like the story of my disorganized life, though. :ROFLMAO:
I swear I am going to hand write it all in one nice leather clad book. I’m actually looking at some books for learning to do calligraphy and they’re like those books from grade one to help learn printing where you do the same letter 50 times and the outlines slowly go away so you’re eventually doing it on your own

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I swear I am going to hand write it all in one nice leather clad book. I’m actually looking at some books for learning to do calligraphy and they’re like those books from grade one to help learn printing where you do the same letter 50 times and the outlines slowly go away so you’re eventually doing it on your own
Good luck, man. You'd probably do it better, since I can barely write print legibly. XD

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Formal Journal no (though I probably should). I do write quite a lot of poetry though. I should get in the habit of writing a quatrain with intention for the day in the morning and a closing one for the day's events...

Irish Bard

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've always found nice books intimidating. I've a collection of nice paperblanks that I keep buying, but I can never bring myself to insult them with my chicken scratch scrawl lol

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
I am terrible at this. Most of the time, I try to rely on my own memory, which is pretty terrible most of the time. I do not have a physical journal. I've been using computers so much of my life that my handwriting is also terrible. I tend to document things like tarot readings (I have a form I print out, and then the filled out form goes in a notebook), but that's the only thing I've ever been successful at continually documenting. Since I'm a nerd, any notes I make tend to be in text files or on a personal Gitlab server.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I am terrible at this. Most of the time, I try to rely on my own memory, which is pretty terrible most of the time. I do not have a physical journal. I've been using computers so much of my life that my handwriting is also terrible. I tend to document things like tarot readings (I have a form I print out, and then the filled out form goes in a notebook), but that's the only thing I've ever been successful at continually documenting. Since I'm a nerd, any notes I make tend to be in text files or on a personal Gitlab server.
Interesting! Would love a tutorial on that in the Technology section!