• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

So Who Invented Lies?

Reaction score
Awards
This forum's own Mr. Jackson has very helpfully established that patriarchs invented Truth to cement their position. Kudos indeed to Andrew and Stonewall's spiritual descendant and namesake. (Pause for applause to die.)

This invites the question, then, of who invented the Lie. Or simply lies in general. Jesus has deposed that Satan is the "father of lies," but since the witness' Father is involved,such testimony cannot be taken at face value. Who then, I ask again, invented the lie? My humility enjoins silence. The floor is open.
Think about it. If a God created the universe and everything that could be possible within it, then that God made it possible to lie because they created the very concept of lying and being capable of it. The universe could have been designed in such a way that lying and deception was impossible. So God (whatever God you believe created all of this) is the one that created lies.

The programmer is responsible for all the code they wrote.

On another note, it could be that lying is possible because that God made a mistake and left out some code before "compiling". If you "write code" for self aware and intelligent beings, but you don't write any code to prevent them from doing something, they'll probably do it if it benefits them. Still means you created it though since you coded everything.

So a more fitting question would be - "Who was the first person to lie?", since whoever or whatever created the universe would be the creator of everything by default.

Amur

Disciple
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting question really if we think that in dreams we don't lie and our subconsciousness doesn't lie either.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting question really if we think that in dreams we don't lie and our subconsciousness doesn't lie either.
We don't lie in dreams? I remember last night in a dream trying to decide how much info to withhold from a former boss I was schmoozing up to again. But since I couldn't locate him in the dream, I never got put to the actual test, I guess.

Ash L.

Neophyte
Reaction score
It was me. I invented lies. Sorry should I not have done that? I figured we could do some cool shit with them if we put our heads together and didnt mean for things to get so out of hand.

8Lou1

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
first was the word and the word was with god. then god became an ass and the word became a lie.
word🤏

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
first was the word and the word was with god. then god became an ass and the word became a lie.
word🤏
Perhaps non-canonical, but your words are gospel all the same.

Saint

I / Me / Myself
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
For some reasons, I immediately associated the topic with one of the most common self-preservation strategy of Nature, which is practically about "lies", "deception" for survival.

Trying to "sell" an image of yourself, or a situation to your opponent (be it a predator or a rival of your own kind) to avoid a potentially fatal or critical conflict with serious consequences.
Some species imitates the colors and shapes of poisonous species to make others believe they are dangerous as well. Some uses posture and their feathers or fur to appear more threatening (or even appealing to the other gender, and discouraging, threatening in a rival's eye of the same gender), while others fake very vicious attack, while there is no serious intent behind the motions and they are just as scared as the opponent may be.​

bed40f556bafd981a60280ef493b87c4.gif

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
uhh.. depends, definition of lies, verbally or lying to themselves? A physical person or deity? If deity depends on the pantheon. Biblically it’d probably be yhwh, for canaanites possibly Ataruu or Ba’al. Sumerian probably Enlil, in Greek pantheon probably Pseudologoi (basically the spirits of lies) or his apprentice Dolis,
In terms of biblical it woulda been Eve as the word lie in the Bible meant to disregard integrity and go against their god.
first human to actually lie? Who can say. 🤷‍♂️

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I would posit (tongue in cheek) that the inventor of lies was the first man talking to the first woman in order to get the first push in the bush.
There is Terrific Logic in this somewhere! Just say'n cause there's no smiley buttons.
Post automatically merged:

I would posit (tongue in cheek) that the inventor of lies was the first man talking to the first woman in order to get the first push in the bush.
There is Terrific Logic embedded here, if I could only find the doggone Smiley buttons, Arrgghh!
Post automatically merged:

It was me. I invented lies. Sorry should I not have done that? I figured we could do some cool shit with them if we put our heads together and didnt mean for things to get so out of hand.
I'm going to have to Act as IF there are Smiley buttons on this one - "ROFL" !!!

Last edited: