• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Spacecraft retreival from previous landing on a body in space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Awards
Can someone explain to me various methods for doing so? Secondary propulsion system? A winch/anchor system of sorts (sort of drops the need for airbag partachute systems)? Other? Or do we just litter bodies in space with defunct vehicles?

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Some are sent to graveyard orbits, some just burn via re-entry. Some are even sent to orbit of sun. They aren't retrieved much.

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks .. guess I will tailor my program for this then. At the least, its a pipe dream and an excursion into design of a minor CAD system and a simulator for digital design.

Reaction score
Awards
Have no idea what Kerbal Space program is. Knowing me, probably. I have some grand idea nobody has ever thought of, and midway into design find out someone has already done so.
What I'm trying to do is to design a space simulator to journey to a space body and extrace Ice slabs that are close to earths atmosphere conditions or chemical composition and drop them in the Arctic Ocean.
What it is at the core is learning how to design circuit on the fly and interface with Python and )LCs, namely Arduino.
Post automatically merged:

The central problem that I'm running into is not only design of a spacecraft in general, but how to design two smaller crafts one for ice lab pickers, and one for atmosphere sniffers.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
The central problem that I'm running into
The central problem you're running into is that you have a huge bark and no bite. Literally delusions of grandeur. I don't think you can even get past a "hello world" program on Python, let alone C++.

What I'm trying to do is to design a space simulator to journey to a space body and extrace Ice slabs that are close to earths atmosphere conditions or chemical composition and drop them in the Arctic Ocean.
What it is at the core is learning how to design circuit on the fly and interface with Python and )LCs, namely Arduino.
Even what you're describing here is delusionally avant-garde at best, and nonsensical at worst.

Like, is it a physical simulator cockpit type device where you for some fantastical reason need to "code on the fly" low-budget hollywood movie style?

Or is it a software simulation, sort of like a video game? If so, what does "interface with python and Adruino" mean in that context?

What you are trying to do would take a team of people at NASA with doctorates, or game devs with years of experience months or years to achieve and you're trying to do it sitting on a hammock with 0 budget, 0 skills, and 0 discipline? It's a massive feat. Why are you getting bogged down in the almost irrelevant minutia such as "but how to design two smaller crafts one for ice lab pickers, and one for atmosphere sniffers" when there are core concepts you have no hope of ever achieving? How are you going to code this simulator? How are you going to engineer the electronics and hardware? Focus on that shit first and get it done before randomly chatting shit about something insignificant that could only ever conceivably be decided/fixed/created AFTER you've done all the previous steps.

It's true, people do achieve some great feats by themselves, while starting from scratch... but that takes laser focus, discipline, commitment, and some bare minimum level of skill. You have none of these. Every month you have some grand undertaking, or some life-changing revelation which you beat your chest and bark about... but at the end of the day, nothing gets done, and you have nothing to show for it.

If you really want to learn coding (and I mean from scratch, like 5th grade level - because you really don't know a single shit about programming) and if you are serious about it, I can REALLY help you, by giving you one month cycles of learning material, which I will expect you to study, do homework on, and show a tangible project at the end of - then let me know. I will genuinely help you with that if you are truly serious about it.

This section isn't the journals section. It isn't for dreams and delusions, it's for serious discussion. If you're not going to actually be realistic here, then pack you shit and don't post in this section.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
This is nigh-impossible, I am sorry, not only you are at scratch when it comes to coding but you also need real good understanding about space and math included about all of this, space is hard, space is harder than you think it is.

Reaction score
Awards
Wow, lol. Okay. Won't post technical stuff.
But I will however, to my hearts content work on finishing what I started.
And I will take you up on the tutoring offer.

This said, starting to work on the Earth grade mastery levels, work on Geomancy (and astrology) and started reading on the Air grade from Kraig and Christopher books I'm working through.
True, I suck at programming, but I am willing to learn. And yes, I suck at math too.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Kerbal Space Program
I tried really hard not to kill Kerbals. Jokes aside, it's a fun game that gives one a peek at rocket science.

I once followed a blog by a "math guy" who described the concepts about space travel, astronomical distances, and most importantly, gravity wells as they exist in our solar system. In his own way he was attempting to debunk silly notions people have about getting resources from some place in the solar system for profitable use back on Earth. If I find a link, I'll post here.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This is perhaps only tangentially related to "spacecraft retrieval" from the surface of another asteroid or planet, but the concepts explored are always good to review.

Last edited:

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
SkullTraill...again, id be pleased to take you up on the programming idea.
@KjEno186 ... if you find the link, let me know, id love to know.
Ok man, I'll help you as promised, but be ready to work hard for over a year.

Send me a PM with the following:
What language you want to get started with (I can only really help with Python or JS to start with) we can move on to C++ (or rather, newer, more user friendly low level languages) later.
What can you ACTUALLY do in said programming language at the moment.
Reasonable short term goal of what you want to create.

Reaction score
Awards
Actually, rare minerals might be found on other space bodies, perhaps even new metals.
Since our consumer culture is at an all time high, it's no shocker that were running out due to hoarding and manufacturing precious resources once abundant on this planet.
Which begs the question, what is my point with this?
A few reasons:
1. To learn to program effectively in Python, among other languages as well.
2. In this climate change planet, to try to make a difference to the best I can offer.
3. To learn PLC programming and digital logic fundamentals. Namely Arduino, which can interface with Python.
4. To gain experience writing a CAD program or logic simulator (graphics), as well as writing a simulation and statistics program.

Now, I have been researching satellites, spacecrafts and SatNet documentation found publicly on the Internet.

Reaction score
Awards
It's an idea. Ideas change things.
The idea is to maybe be elementary to some that stir an even better idea in the hands of the powerful and capable.
The idea here that is elementary is that our Gas Giants have tons of ice.
Wouldn't it be grand to know if these could somehow be mined/picked/extracted and hoisted into dry ice beds in a larger craft, brought to Earth and inserted into the Arctic Ocean?

That is the idea in a nutshell.

However, the possible list of possibilities could be large, and they may stir more concrete ideas on how to make a difference rather than naysayers about global warming.

At the least, I learn how to program.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
It's an idea. Ideas change things.
The idea is to maybe be elementary to some that stir an even better idea in the hands of the powerful and capable.
The idea here that is elementary is that our Gas Giants have tons of ice.
Wouldn't it be grand to know if these could somehow be mined/picked/extracted and hoisted into dry ice beds in a larger craft, brought to Earth and inserted into the Arctic Ocean?

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Easy to Get?
How easy is it to get at these various extraterrestrial resources? Nothing but empty space stands between us. Once in space, how easy is it to zip about from one place to the other? It doesn’t seem too bad, judging from movies.
A popular misconception is that once in space, we escape the grip of gravity. This is a natural intuitive leap if you have watched video of weightless astronauts in low Earth orbit (LEO). It turns out that gravity from Earth in LEO is still 90% what it is on the ground. The trick is that the orbiting spacecraft has tremendous sideways velocity, so that as it falls to Earth (yes, it is always falling!), the ground curves out from under it so that it continuously falls around the Earth. It takes a velocity of 7.7 kilometers per second (17,000 m.p.h.) to pull this off. Because the astronauts fall at the same acceleration as the spacecraft (equivalence principle), they appear to be weightless—much as an unlucky person would be in a falling elevator on Earth.
Low Earth orbit is said to be “halfway to anywhere” in the solar system. Even though a spacecraft in LEO is still deep within the grip of Earth’s gravity, there is some truth to the statement. The 7.7 km/s velocity imparted to the spacecraft gives it some of the kinetic energy required to climb further out of the well, representing 70% of the velocity (and half the energy) needed to escape. A more serious problem is that Earth itself is deep within the well of solar gravity. To go outward means climbing a hill. To go inward means first reducing velocity (takes rocket juice) to start falling toward the Sun, and then slowing down again (more juice) at the destination after picking up speed from the “downhill” ride. ...
The whole article is a must read, but the part about the "gravitational potential energy well in the solar system" is a real fun read, and it will quickly put to rest any notion that you're going to do any of those pipe dreams you mentioned.

Reaction score
Awards
Well that was slightly demotivating, almost as much as my ex-teacher telling me to get out of magic and into therapy.
Well, points taken. Still, stubborn me will still keep at it. Which reminds me, need to do my Zelator Formula.
Oppenheimer is an interesting movie. Wonder what would have happened if the team was demotivated?

Status
Not open for further replies.