• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Spacecraft retreival from previous landing on a body in space

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I should also add that your idea of dropping gigatons of ice into the atmosphere of the Earth presents the same problems that Creationists ignore when they talk about a so-called "water canopy" that somehow dropped from space to cause the mythological global flood of Noah. Hint: it ain't ice no more when it be boiling from the energy of impact... astronomical speeds become astronomical energy releases.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I should also add that your idea of dropping gigatons of ice into the atmosphere of the Earth presents the same problems that Creationists ignore when they talk about a so-called "water canopy" that somehow dropped from space to cause the mythological global flood of Noah. Hint: it ain't ice no more when it be boiling from the energy of impact... astronomical speeds become astronomical energy releases.
I am beyond trolling by this point, how tf are we supposed to mine a gas giant anyways? Maybe you have read some concepts so I am willing to read that.

Can we even build spacecrafts big enough to bring the said ice (we are assuming sun won't melt it on the way)? Even the starship doesn't look feasible.

And then there is the distance. We can't even go back to moon as it stands currently. Artemis 2 is stuck on development hell. SLS doesn't have the delta-v to carry Orion all the way and back. Starship still needs time.

Not everyday we get a thread like this so I am running wild, sorry.

Reaction score
Awards
So the basic gist is that unless its a space shuttle, no way in hell it would get back to the primary ship.
Meanwhile weve littered the crap out of Venus, Mars and the moon.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
how tf are we supposed to mine a gas giant anyways?
Well, this is the stuff of science fiction. Still, there's an awful lot of ice in the solar system, perhaps even on moons orbiting gas giants. I mean, it's fun to think "what if?" I merely pointed out that, in a hypothetical scenario which brought a small comet's worth of ice down the gravity well of the Sun to the Earth (and its gravity well), getting said ice to the surface would have the same impact of... a comet. Hitting the Earth. Fast.

However, what I believe is happening here is a case of the (un)intended side effects of programming people to put trust in corporate media, and the news media is almost as bad as Hollywood when it comes to reporting on actual science. The "Do the Math" guy said that his survey of adult students showed only 11% of them knew that no human has been beyond low Earth orbit (600 km) since 1980 (the last moon landing occurred in December, 1972).

Science and technology have been great at miniaturization as far as computational devices (cell phones), but that does not mean that all areas have advanced at the same pace. The laws of physics still apply.

And then there is the distance. We can't even go back to moon as it stands currently. Artemis 2 is stuck on development hell. SLS doesn't have the delta-v to carry Orion all the way and back. Starship still needs time.
Why don't we just let Boeing build space ships too? I'm sure all the diversity graduates have wonderful ideas for making space a .... safe space. o_O

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Also, most of the ice in the solar system is not water ice. Let us not be dropping gigatons of methane ice into our oceans :D
Nobody brings that much meth here lessen' he's Gustavo Fring!
Post automatically merged:

Well, this is the stuff of science fiction. Still, there's an awful lot of ice in the solar system, perhaps even on moons orbiting gas giants. I mean, it's fun to think "what if?" I merely pointed out that, in a hypothetical scenario which brought a small comet's worth of ice down the gravity well of the Sun to the Earth (and its gravity well), getting said ice to the surface would have the same impact of... a comet. Hitting the Earth. Fast.

However, what I believe is happening here is a case of the (un)intended side effects of programming people to put trust in corporate media, and the news media is almost as bad as Hollywood when it comes to reporting on actual science. The "Do the Math" guy said that his survey of adult students showed only 11% of them knew that no human has been beyond low Earth orbit (600 km) since 1980 (the last moon landing occurred in December, 1972).

Science and technology have been great at miniaturization as far as computational devices (cell phones), but that does not mean that all areas have advanced at the same pace. The laws of physics still apply.

Why don't we just let Boeing build space ships too? I'm sure all the diversity graduates have wonderful ideas for making space a .... safe space. o_O
"In space no one can hear hatespeech." Now there's a meme fer ya.

Reaction score
Awards
In my research on small spacecraft design, and all things space, there have been small spacecraft with a helicopter design and thrusters to get out of the atmosphere. However, it appears the answer remains the same, we're simply littering planets with smashed spacecraft debris such as Mars Rovers.

In lighter news, I saw on linkedIn News that one of the first Elon Musk NeuroLink implant patients is playing chess, a guy who ws left a quadraplegic from an accident.