• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Spirit box

guwope

Neophyte
Reaction score
Does anyone use a spirit box to talk to spirits or demons?

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I haven’t used a spirit box yet but I did some experimentation with EMF detectors and spirit communication. I had mixed results because I attempted it with a homemade EMF detector while I was still building it. I managed to get the sensitivity up, and upon asking certain questions I would see the response via the readings. Being dumb, I forgot to record audio during that session though. Honestly, spirit communication wasn’t the main reason I built it. It’s more for checking the energy emitted from my magical items.

One thing I can recommend is to make sure you give the spirit 30-40 seconds to answer after your question. It requires a decent amount of energy on their end to manifest vibrations through matter (in this case gasses) within the audible range.

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Does anyone use a spirit box to talk to spirits or demons?
I've been building one from scratch using a raspberry pi and RTLSDR dongle. I've been working on it for about a year now. Battery powered, lots of modes. We recently used it in front of a closet door we keep finding open with no explanation and it was definitely strange. Is it "spirits"? I dunno, but I will say this: if you've never done a ghost box session, do one. There are some weird synchronizes that happen. Whether it's psychological or not, there's something interesting here.

At the moment, I'm planning on releasing plans and software on Github when it's done.

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've been building one from scratch using a raspberry pi and RTLSDR dongle. I've been working on it for about a year now. Battery powered, lots of modes. We recently used it in front of a closet door we keep finding open with no explanation and it was definitely strange. Is it "spirits"? I dunno, but I will say this: if you've never done a ghost box session, do one. There are some weird synchronizes that happen. Whether it's psychological or not, there's something interesting here.

At the moment, I'm planning on releasing plans and software on Github when it's done.
Nice! I built the EMF detector on a raspberry pi zero but never thought about using an RTLSDR dongle for RF. Can you go into any specifics about what modes and capabilities it has?

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Nice! I built the EMF detector on a raspberry pi zero but never thought about using an RTLSDR dongle for RF. Can you go into any specifics about what modes and capabilities it has?
Sure. I'm using a Pi 3B and a NooELEC Nano. I'm still running Raspbian on it, so I have some upgrades to do. So far:

• Can specify 0 for squelch, which I suppose is kind of the barest minimum
  • Can specify hop mode: forward sequentially, reverse or random hops
  • Can configure delay between hop (including setting it to random)
  • Can specify one or multiple frequency ranges to hop, and specify the gap between frequencies when sweeping (ie, even 12k)
  • Can pipe output through sox for real time filters. Dynamic noise reduction can create some damn weird effects
  • You can save the feed to disk at the same time you're listening
  • You can pipe output to an icecast server, so multiple people could be listening at the same time streaming to their own phone or whatnot
  • Added a RTC module so the damn thing could keep date/time correctly

Random hop + random delay returns some really interesting results. You wouldn't think you'd hear anything but gibberish, but weirdly enough you can hear complete phrases. It is 100% command line right now, but I am working on using a small screen for changing modes, etc.

Currently using MJAWS bluetooth earbuds. They're decent at noise cancelation.

I have it connected to a 10000mah battery, so it's completely mobile and fits in the palm of your hand. There's an external antenna, and the way I have it right now when you're holding the entire thing, your hand wraps around the antenna which I kind of like (using your you body as an antenna). I'm using a Pi 3B instead of a newer Pi 4 because the 3B still has a normal headphone jack. So if the earbuds go dead or whatever, you still have the option to plug in.

There are a few drawbacks I've run into so far:

1) If you want handheld and mobile, you're probably only going to be able to do FM. The dongle I have has direct sampling, so theoretically I can do AM without an upconverter, but I've never been able to receive AM without using a Ham it up converter. I suppose using one of their nano upconverter in a proper case could work. I mean, you CAN sweep AM, it's just unlikely you'll get much of anything unless you live in a city.

2) It probably can't sweep as fast as a an actual radio like a SB7, but it's pretty fast so I'm not sure if it matters. Sometime soon I'll record a minute or two at the fastest hop and post it.

3) SDRs get hot. The newer/better ones are specifically designed to distribute heat to their metal cases. This creates some design issues, especially when designing a case. It also makes adding other sensors like temp and humidity kind of pointless, because those dongles put out a lot of heat after they've been running a few minutes. The one I use now just has the Pi in a standard black case, with the battery underneath and a piece of velcro holding everything together. Not very elegant, but I don't have to worry about the sdr dongle melting my case or something.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
I once went on a ghost tour where some guy used it, but I haven't personally used one.