• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Report Stellar Magic by Payam Nabarz (short review)

A post detailing the poster's experience/thoughts with a book.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards

Payam Nabarz - Stellar Magic: A Practical Guide to the Rites of the Moon, Planets, Stars and Constellations​

This is worth your time imo if you're celestially inclined

Although a beginner could use it, it's not another book covering the basics. It's something actually new to work with.. (They're devotional, but you could easily work it into a thaumaturgic rites)

Firstly, it has rites to constellations that tend not get as much focus as the planets.

I really appreciate that it has constellations that are prominent in the Australian sky (for eg the Rite of Orion).

Although the rites have solo options, they do seem to primarily be intended for group workings. They all involve reading from a lot of myth, so there is a lot that a solo practitioner could borrow and work with, or just read with interest (Egyptian, Greek and Persian/Zoroastrian mythology mainly)

The excerpts from myth and hymn are a good place to steal sentences from (ceremonial magic often reads out relevant Psalms - as someone without an upbringing in Christianity, these don't really speak to me, so I'm slowly accruing a collection of relevant devotional etc. phrases I can use at the appropriate moments)

The moon rite for eg includes the Orphic hymn unsurprisingly, but also a reading from Homer on Selene, and the Zoroastrian Moon Liturgy and Hymn to the Moon.

Other sections have excerpts from Crowley, Milton, various Romantic poets etc

I'm actually not sure I would do any of these rites myself, but that doesn't detract from the quality, and it's really nice to see work that offers something new to intermediate practitioners