• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Suggestions on Warding and Shielding?

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
So I haven't really kept my spiritual hygiene in check which worries me a little so I'm starting to begin doing those things as of now. Especially setting up boundaries by adding layers of protection. And I wanted to know if this was enough.

1. Kabbalistic Cross.
2. Lesser Banishing of The Pentagram.
3. Middle Pillar.
Repeat the LBRP and finish with the Kabbalistic Cross. Finish that off with reading Psalms that offer protection (Psalm 140 & Psalm 9), and Psalms to thank God and the Angels. There's quite a lot of Psalms that can be said to thank God, I guess I would have to pick one that sounds like it has already been done. Kind of like magick itself when you have to feel and know that your spell has been successful already. Instead of having doubts which degrees the chance of it actually happening.

For an example:
Psalm 7:17 I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.

It doesn't sounds like it has the right energy while the Psalm below does.

VS

Daniel 2:23 I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors: You have given me wisdom and power, you have made known to me what we asked of you, you have made known to us the dream of the king.

I might be overthinking again but its my wizard mindset, nevertheless I guess Psalms has Magick within their each of their words anyway, since I am calling on a divine being. For whatever reasons my voice should be heard.

Wards and Shields:

To add wards and shields, I am going to start using a book that I got a couple of years ago, Angelic Protection Magick. It's very simplistic, seems like the main focus is The Circle Banishing, The Body of Protection and then the Illumination before doing any of the rituals. It has warding sigil here which is used for Protecting one's home. The most annoying thing is that I may have to draw the sigils that I will be using but hopefully my printer's scanner will save my lazy ass on that. I have a few stones which can be used for warding, Flint stones which is brown, blackish and white. All those colour's have protective energies. And they still need to be cleansed, charged with intent. They will be added with the Sigil in Angelic Protection Magick.

I heard of another way of setting up wards with Psalms by writing them down in crosses or mazes, in forms of pentagrams for protecting a home or a person. I'm pretty sure its hoodoo where I'm getting from. Sorry if I'm causing some confusion this man might be able to shed some light on what I'm on about.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I would like to hear other suggestions. Thank you very much! :)

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
My take is that you have more than enough information and ideas. The thing now will be keeping everything sorted. Overloading on detail is a sure path to confusion, mistakes, and anxiety.
Yeah, I thought that it may overlord me as well. Or though some of these things can be performed anytime so I do have some rest in between them. The warding, like the stones mentioned would need to be cleansed and charged weekly, on a Tuesday or Saturday. (Mars, Saturn) this has already giving me some ideas.. using planets energies isn't such a bad idea.

Reaction score
Awards
My take is that you have more than enough information and ideas. The thing now will be keeping everything sorted. Overloading on detail is a sure path to confusion, mistakes, and anxiety.
Yeah agree. When designing something like this you not only want to make sure you have enough but you want to keep it at a manageable level that you can keep it up regularly for years and years and years. Nothing wrong with what you have planned as long as you can keep it up.

I’ve had a number of different routines over the years from different traditions.

My current go to is to work a ritual bathing into my morning shower (Psalm 51 with appropriate incense ). Then I rotate performing the sign of the cross and quoting Revelations as both a personal banishing and warding ritual.

Then during my daily rituals I worked in at least a single psalm of protection/blessing each day.

Then at least monthly I walk my house exterior and property line performing the same sign of the cross for each direction and then walk the property line while reading Psalm 91 (occasionally substituting another for a particular purpose).

My current routine is my shortest I’ve ever had but it has worked well for me.

-Eld

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
For the video 9:44 is when he mentions it, I thought I typed it in but I guess not. there was no need to include this video here and I've should have watched the whole of the video before posting to begin with as I think the book mentions using the Psalms in that anyway.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think people can get a bit OCD-like with magical defenses and cleansing. It becomes like someone who has to wash their hands every time they touch a doorknob, or has to check they've locked the front door 12 times before they can go to bed

A mentally healthy person (who's not immunocompromised / currently being stalked by an ex / etc) maintains a few basic habits that are automatic and don't require much conscious upkeep, and then they don't think about it for the rest of the day

Increasing security and hygiene beyond that just feeds your paranoia

The amount you're suggesting really sounds like overkill to me

If you want to add more magical practices to your daily routine, add in blessings to improve your life and the life of your loved ones, not more protection

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
Makes sense. If you have a neighbour with like 6 bolts on their doors and bars on their windows and electrified fencing and a guard dog patrolling, you're not knocking on their door to invite them to the block party

Reaction score
Awards
One of the problems with magical defenses is that, if they work, they cut off the practitioner from many aspects of Reality.

I suspect that reduces awareness and learning speeds
Especially if you only continually banish.

Banish what you don’t want and invoke/conjure what you do to fill that space. Craft the reality you want.

But you’re right living in a vacuum will definitely deaden your senses. And controlling the space around you too much can cut you off from a lot of potential experiences (good and bad).

-Eld
Post automatically merged:

I think people can get a bit OCD-like with magical defenses and cleansing. It becomes like someone who has to wash their hands every time they touch a doorknob, or has to check they've locked the front door 12 times before they can go to bed

A mentally healthy person (who's not immunocompromised / currently being stalked by an ex / etc) maintains a few basic habits that are automatic and don't require much conscious upkeep, and then they don't think about it for the rest of the day

If you want to add more magical practices to your daily routine, add in blessings to improve your life and the life of your loved ones, not more protection
Agreed. Find a balance that works for you but don’t overdo it. Honestly most people are overzealous when creating a routine then get burnt out trying to keep it going. A simple routine that you can easily keep going is usually more than enough and allows time to focus on other more beneficial parts of your practice. Just be sure you know how to step it up if/when needed.

-Eld

Last edited:

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
They didn't constantly banish in the original Golden Dawn. There was no need to, its more of a recent invention. And in my opinion, the rituals you mentioned are not THAT effective for protection, they have much more different uses.

Go for Master Protection Ritual. Its in one of GOM books, Magickal Defense I think? Its short, simple, and on point.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
LBRP has a shelve life of 12 hours, right? It seems that any rituals that require visualising last short period of time, I don't if I'm correct about that.

So isn't working with herbs and sigils for protection a better option?

I agree with this, and I've been thinking about different ways that aren't exhausting me, I've decided to change a few things like rituals in Angelic Protection Magick as it requires you to do the circle banishing, the body of protection and then the Illumination. Which is just time consuming.
Yeah, its more of chore now.
Post automatically merged:

They didn't constantly banish in the original Golden Dawn. There was no need to, its more of a recent invention. And in my opinion, the rituals you mentioned are not THAT effective for protection, they have much more different uses.

Go for Master Protection Ritual. Its in one of GOM books, Magickal Defense I think? Its short, simple, and on point.
Damon Brand - Magickal Protection?

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
The LBRP isn't a protection ritual, the name is misleading. It's more about invoking and aligning your energy with various divine powers. It can sort of clear a mental working space for yourself but it's not about warding against external threats

Honestly, I don't really do any regular protection because I'm not in any particular danger. If I worked in a garbage workplace I would do energy shielding to stop myself from absorbing that (and the LBRP would help by refreshing the aura with divine energies and qualities).

At the moment, I'm a beginner, so I'm not really at risk of magical attack (why would anyone bother) but I don't feel a strong connection to divinity/magic, so I spend more time invoking and inviting than banishing and warding.

It's probably smart to do more warding than I do, but its worth asking yourself: what are you in danger from? (I don't expect you to tell me this! Just think about it). Like, if you feel very under threat, but there isn't a strong reason to, you're probably more in need of magic that helps with anxiety than protection. And if you are under threat (like having a scary ex, or if you're living at home with a violent parent) then it would be more effective to target that threat specifically.

Doing some basics isn't crazy though, I probably should myself. the Damon Brand book is available in the wizard forums library, you can do a search for it

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, that should be it indeed. Master Protection Ritual offers one year of protection if you manage to finish the 33 day work. Dont let the number scare you, the ritual is shorter than LBRP.
At least its a short ritual and I can continue with other objectives.
The LBRP isn't a protection ritual, the name is misleading. It's more about invoking and aligning your energy with various divine powers. It can sort of clear a mental working space for yourself but it's not about warding against external threats

Honestly, I don't really do any regular protection because I'm not in any particular danger. If I worked in a garbage workplace I would do energy shielding to stop myself from absorbing that (and the LBRP would help by refreshing the aura with divine energies and qualities).

At the moment, I'm a beginner, so I'm not really at risk of magical attack (why would anyone bother) but I don't feel a strong connection to divinity/magic, so I spend more time invoking and inviting than banishing and warding.

It's probably smart to do more warding than I do, but its worth asking yourself: what are you in danger from? (I don't expect you to tell me this! Just think about it). Like, if you feel very under threat, but there isn't a strong reason to, you're probably more in need of magic that helps with anxiety than protection. And if you are under threat (like having a scary ex, or if you're living at home with a violent parent) then it would be more effective to target that threat specifically.

Doing some basics isn't crazy though, I probably should myself. the Damon Brand book is available in the wizard forums library, you can do a search for it
Yeah the LBRP is very misleading. I have stopped doing the LBRP because of this as well but it does leave a great feeling after completing the Ritual.

Well, invoking can help with protection as I've read about someone that was in trouble before, simple prayers, invocations helped resolve issues they were having. I'm not entirely sure what that was exactly. I thought about just doing invocations instead of banishing all the time.

I don't have a problem telling people what's going on in my life but people usually shoot you down, especially the witch groups that I visited on Reddit and Facebook, it seems they would rather have false ideologies that magic like that can't simply exist and all you have to do is disbelieve in them.. haha - not that I am innocent, never will be, don't plan to be but I do have morals and a code that I follow. I don't tell people my issues anymore as it usually doesn't get anywhere. I certainly won't discuss it on this forum.

This isn't just about fixing certain issues in my life, but helping other people as well. And once I've restored order in life then I would like to take what I've learnt and begin to help other people that are in most of needed help.

Doing basics is must in my opinion, something I completely ignored. I would start doing them.

That's perfect, at least I don't have to search for the book myself online.

Thank you guys, its very much appreciated. Much love!

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, that should be it indeed. Master Protection Ritual offers one year of protection if you manage to finish the 33 day work. Dont let the number scare you, the ritual is shorter than LBRP.
It's too much trouble to do a simple rite in the morning? "A year of protection" sounds like Mutual of Omaha entering the magick market.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
How did diarrhea get started here?

Maybe I should've turned Muslim. I always thought the 5-times daily prayer was a fine way to keep one's head in the game. I don't much credit the notion one can take care of the whole year by, as it were, cramming. If you do, go for it.

pixel_fortune

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I think for OP specifically, who seems to be in a bit of an obsessive thought pattern about protection, a "set and forget" thing is going to be better for their mental health than starting every day off with a reminder of potential threats. I like the 33-day working for OP - lengthy enough to build to a catharsis, but then they can let go

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I think for OP specifically, who seems to be in a bit of an obsessive thought pattern about protection, a "set and forget" thing is going to be better for their mental health than starting every day off with a reminder of potential threats. I like the 33-day working for OP - lengthy enough to build to a catharsis, but then they can let go
You do have a point there.

Crows&Ravens

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Not necessarily obsessed with protection magic, everything in that list above I said I was gonna do.. I ended not doing.

I also don't wake up every morning thinking that I am under magical attack, I start my day with LBRP (Sometimes) unlike today I decided to start off with meditation. Also negative energies sometimes give you a hint that you are in fact under attack, you can just feel it. Spirits can be tricky ones however you may hear knocks.

But everyone feels that I should be doing the master protection ritual then that's what I will do, however I will do other rituals and spells.