• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Swords thread

Firetree

Disciple
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Messages
794
Reaction score
1,022
Awards
6
Swords are out again . It turns out my (relatively ) new neighbors 10 year old son has an interest . he is a quiet kid but boy can he pick things up quick . In a few lessons he has got half of my 'Jo 20 ' Kata down ; the last half which is 11 consecutive moves of Jo (shorter staff) Vs Boken ( 'wooden katana' ) . He can move forward 4 with jo - top strike, back hand strike, switch hands strike, change sides, knee strike and then back step defense against top cut , three consecutive lunges (low, high and mid ) another top strike , a knee slash with a turn around of the jo to strike back . He can do either the sword or the jo part . The form and balance are not good yet , but I am very impressed with the memory of movements .... even a (so called ) 6th Dan black belt could not learn that and an Aikido 2nd Dan ( aikido 'specializes ' in sword and jo ) found it a little 'complex' .

'' The work of the wand and the sword these he shall learn and teach. ''

Liber AL Ch 1 V 37 . :)

- something about the sword , in ritual use, tends to lend itself to the 'vortex' ( circling it overhead in a 'cone' pattern ) .

I remember using the giant ex-sawmill blade like that once , in the midst of full-on thunder and lightning storm . . . my assistant got scared and ran off , fearing a lightening strike :D
 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
304
Reaction score
358
Awards
5
A very interesting sword -- Darth Vader’s laser sword, I think! Those things were pretty powerful.
Here’s one of the scenes where he cuts off Luke Skywalker’s hand.//
I guess Luke was actually lucky it was a laser sword and not a regular one, because, being a laser, it cauterized the wound automatically. :)
 

Morell

Apostle
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
2,261
Reaction score
5,029
Awards
21
A very interesting sword -- Darth Vader’s laser sword, I think! Those things were pretty powerful.
Here’s one of the scenes where he cuts off Luke Skywalker’s hand.//
I guess Luke was actually lucky it was a laser sword and not a regular one, because, being a laser, it cauterized the wound automatically. :)
Lightsaber fighting is actual sport. We have a group here that gives lessons to enthusiasts. it's pretty cool.

 

Eldros

Acolyte
Joined
Aug 10, 2026
Messages
304
Reaction score
358
Awards
5
Lightsaber fighting is actual sport. We have a group here that gives lessons to enthusiasts. it's pretty cool.
Do they have any kind of protection against lasers? I mean, one wrong move during training and your hand could get chopped off. 😄
 

Morell

Apostle
Joined
Jul 5, 2024
Messages
2,261
Reaction score
5,029
Awards
21
Do they have any kind of protection against lasers? I mean, one wrong move during training and your hand could get chopped off. 😄
I don't think they are actual lasers. Though I've heard that they are recharged via USB and some people caused them to burn the electronics by charging them with phone chargers...
 
Top