• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The afterlife

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The point is the whole existence in this matrix has no purpose , some would still say we are here to learn!
I would say: learning what!?
The whole universe Makes no sense and full of imperfection and suffering
I'm searching for a non violent way to eject from this matrix and back to sources at will
There's no purpose for any of it to experience , period
I believe 'some' know the secret to doing it but kept it hidden , we will find it someday
Some would say we sign up for this by our own will
Then I would say In neo's voice: bulls**t
Gotta agree with you on this.

I find the whole purpose of life is to make you struggle and struggle is everywhere, struggle has to exist as long as life in this Universe exists.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Gotta agree with you on this.

I find the whole purpose of life is to make you struggle and struggle is everywhere, struggle has to exist as long as life in this Universe exists.
"One must imagine Sisyphus happy."---Camus

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Well call me retarded because I can't imagine it lol.
Camus said "one." I guess you're not the one.

What counts as an ok afterlife tends to be pretty individualized. I mean, look at Islamic Afterworld. After a couple weeks, it strikes me that the frat party there would get old. At least the Nordics get out and steel-scrimmage between bouts with bottle, boar's-flesh and bedded babes.

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Camus said "one." I guess you're not the one.

What counts as an ok afterlife tends to be pretty individualized. I mean, look at Islamic Afterworld. After a couple weeks, it strikes me that the frat party there would get old. At least the Nordics get out and steel-scrimmage between bouts with bottle, boar's-flesh and bedded babes.
I assume any afterlife we experience involves a removal of our personal free-will, since it seems that in this world at least mankind is geared towards finding a 'permanent' state of being and avoidance of entropy. It's built into the nature of the world everything from the way eat, sleep, work, build, etc. We're constantly avoiding change, change of our physical selves and of our mental states.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
I assume any afterlife we experience involves a removal of our personal free-will, since it seems that in this world at least mankind is geared towards finding a 'permanent' state of being and avoidance of entropy. It's built into the nature of the world everything from the way eat, sleep, work, build, etc. We're constantly avoiding change, change of our physical selves and of our mental states.
I tend to assume the opposite so far as will goes. As I've gotten older, I've gotten down with change more and more. "Old men should be explorers," as T.S. Eliot wrote.

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I tend to assume the opposite so far as will goes. As I've gotten older, I've gotten down with change more and more. "Old men should be explorers," as T.S. Eliot wrote.

It's funny, I generally think you're level headed. But you're okay with this reality, perhaps you're seeing something I'm not.

I find that there's nothing you can really hold onto love as it all changes and it's impermanent, the only reason I see for any activity is due to biological instincts creating a need for you to continue to maintain motion to perpetuate this game of existence.

Sometimes I get exhausted and I want to give out but my body keeps trying to push forward.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
It's funny, I generally think you're level headed. But you're okay with this reality, perhaps you're seeing something I'm not.

I find that there's nothing you can really hold onto love as it all changes and it's impermanent, the only reason I see for any activity is due to biological instincts creating a need for you to continue to maintain motion to perpetuate this game of existence.

Sometimes I get exhausted and I want to give out but my body keeps trying to push forward.
There are those who opine that while, it's all impermanent, one's self need not remain so.

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
There are those who opine that while, it's all impermanent, one's self need not remain so.

Yeah well I never really seen anyone that managed to stay permanent, everyone saids really nice things. But as we all live in an interconnected world, so too must we rely on other parts of the system, other parts that will inevitably change.

I am not sure it's possible at least until we die.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Yeah well I never really seen anyone that managed to stay permanent, everyone saids really nice things. But as we all live in an interconnected world, so too must we rely on other parts of the system, other parts that will inevitably change.

I am not sure it's possible at least until we die.
A great part of the tradition, from some strains in Daoism, to Greek "mystery religions" through hermetics and on into modern (so-called) vampirism has to do with fashioning that which perdures. To quote Catch-22, "Yossarian had decided to live forever or die in the attempt." The difference is the mage takes the possibility seriously.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I definitely personally believe consciousness survives death, as one can already experience consciousness apart from the physical body in life, but as far as what happens to that consciousness is anyone’s guess

I’ve always thought that either you exist in some personal dream like state, which depends on how conscious you were in physical life, or that you become “recycled” into whatever derived all this consciousness to begin with and sent to some other place or reincarnated into another body.

But anyone claiming to know what actually happens should be taken with a grain of salt.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
It bothers me that people don't keep up their critical thinking when discussing the afterlife, wishy-ness and fancy vagueness come in so easily, it makes the whole thing feel like trudging through molasses and no progress is made outside of more defined wishing.

We never leave reality, there isn't anywhere else to go; we can get so far from it that our experience is nothing like it, but on the most important level we are still in reality. We are nature, like it or not, and nature consumes. A hawk would tear a tiny little kitten to shreds like it's nothing. Earlier today I saw a video of an Owl slowly swallowing a snake, tail first while the lil guy wriggled about. The Gnostics believe this world is a physical reflection of another divine world. Do you think consumption stops at carbon life?

The As Above So Below axiom is something I will practice here. My girlfriend has a blind hamster in a transparent box, it's spent nearly it's whole life in that box and his only hobby is figuring ways to escape, which he has several times in the past. I have a cat, and she is a larger, more vicious, and powerful entity than the hamster, she's poised outside the box, just watching... waiting, hoping to get the hamster in her mouth, but the box seperates them.

When you die, the body's functioning ceases, but you just need to be self aware for a moment to recognize that your existence isn't just a physical byproduct. What you really are won't have a shell, it won't have the senses it had been fed from the brain. Death is shocking, and for people that have only thought about it in fancy or fear won't survive the transition.

Poverty isn't abstract, beings turn vicious as a result of limited resources. Who's to say there aren't hungry spectres looming over you, demons, just waiting to get at you the second your decaying meat-box breaks down?

Just a thought 🦉
Post automatically merged:

or that you become “recycled” into whatever derived all this consciousness to begin with
This is a very nice way - in my eyes - of saying "Eaten". The worm is "recycled" back into the world by being consumed by the bird.

Asteriskos

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
It bothers me that people don't keep up their critical thinking when discussing the afterlife, wishy-ness and fancy vagueness come in so easily, it makes the whole thing feel like trudging through molasses and no progress is made outside of more defined wishing.

We never leave reality, there isn't anywhere else to go; we can get so far from it that our experience is nothing like it, but on the most important level we are still in reality. We are nature, like it or not, and nature consumes. A hawk would tear a tiny little kitten to shreds like it's nothing. Earlier today I saw a video of an Owl slowly swallowing a snake, tail first while the lil guy wriggled about. The Gnostics believe this world is a physical reflection of another divine world. Do you think consumption stops at carbon life?

The As Above So Below axiom is something I will practice here. My girlfriend has a blind hamster in a transparent box, it's spent nearly it's whole life in that box and his only hobby is figuring ways to escape, which he has several times in the past. I have a cat, and she is a larger, more vicious, and powerful entity than the hamster, she's poised outside the box, just watching... waiting, hoping to get the hamster in her mouth, but the box seperates them.

When you die, the body's functioning ceases, but you just need to be self aware for a moment to recognize that your existence isn't just a physical byproduct. What you really are won't have a shell, it won't have the senses it had been fed from the brain. Death is shocking, and for people that have only thought about it in fancy or fear won't survive the transition.

Poverty isn't abstract, beings turn vicious as a result of limited resources. Who's to say there aren't hungry spectres looming over you, demons, just waiting to get at you the second your decaying meat-box breaks down?

Just a thought 🦉

This is a very nice way - in my eyes - of saying "Eaten". The worm is "recycled" back into the world by being consumed by the bird.
Most excellently said! Please see this bit research I had been planning to start for quite some time and finally got around to it. I hope that
it helps illustrate what you've said so well here!

N.B.
I wasn't real sure Where to put that bit of research, so I did it as a Journal entry. I mentioned that the Subject Matter may cause some "hissy fits", but it should fit well with your post. The details of that post related to Dion Fortune, prior to mentioning a link to an article are what I refer to in reference to your post here. It's a actual case of "surviving the shock" of death of the "guph".

Just a thought 🦉

Excellent post, I'm Very Impressed with your description!

Please see my Journal entry for an account of "surviving the shock" when suddenly deprived of the "guph".
The initial description by Dion Fortune at the beginning of the post. I wasn't quite sure how that may be perceived so I referred to "hissy fits"
the description / content that she illustrates might elicit, so I put it in a Journal post. Some random research on my part.

Research on "Dr." Theodore Moriarty

HocusPocus

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
A great part of the tradition, from some strains in Daoism, to Greek "mystery religions" through hermetics and on into modern (so-called) vampirism has to do with fashioning that which perdures. To quote Catch-22, "Yossarian had decided to live forever or die in the attempt." The difference is the mage takes the possibility seriously.

Sure but like you said it's only meant to outlast and even then they will still be subject to change. They will have avoidance and attachments, if they didn't alot of them wouldn't have killed themselves or attempted to fight back during persecutions.

My point being is that these people even if they accomplished some great feats are still reliant on permutations of the reality. Despite their great talks of being great, mighty, and having answers end of the day they still obey change. They don't need to fear it but they obey it.

I have yet to meet any being that avoided change unless they died and to those I can't see them anymore so I can't tell. I think what I am trying to say is you really can't be completely embracing of change in this world because to live is to fight against change, change of the energy in your body, you need food and water to sustain yourself. A form of energy exchange, because you form cannot sustain itself it might rob and kill others. So I cannot say I've met anyone who completely embraces change or is okay with it in all of it's form, in one way or another we try to FIGHT it.

IllusiveOwl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
you really can't be completely embracing of change
You will find most Buddhist sutras, when you study them, implore you to realize that everything is change. You are not who you were three years ago, you change moment to moment. No man steps in the same river twice, for It is not the same river, and he is not the same man. Don't project your own stasis onto others, there are plenty of people here that are dynamic and find life in change; embracing it is easy and natural.

Xenophon

Magister
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Sure but like you said it's only meant to outlast and even then they will still be subject to change. They will have avoidance and attachments, if they didn't alot of them wouldn't have killed themselves or attempted to fight back during persecutions.

My point being is that these people even if they accomplished some great feats are still reliant on permutations of the reality. Despite their great talks of being great, mighty, and having answers end of the day they still obey change. They don't need to fear it but they obey it.

I have yet to meet any being that avoided change unless they died and to those I can't see them anymore so I can't tell. I think what I am trying to say is you really can't be completely embracing of change in this world because to live is to fight against change, change of the energy in your body, you need food and water to sustain yourself. A form of energy exchange, because you form cannot sustain itself it might rob and kill others. So I cannot say I've met anyone who completely embraces change or is okay with it in all of it's form, in one way or another we try to FIGHT it.
It's like bull-riding: one makes a display of nerve and skill by staying on the bull's back.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you're welcome to angistify away there at the keyboard. I really don't see why or how our lot here (and maybe elsewhere) is such a miserable one.

You will find most Buddhist sutras, when you study them, implore you to realize that everything is change. You are not who you were three years ago, you change moment to moment. No man steps in the same river twice, for It is not the same river, and he is not the same man. Don't project your own stasis onto others, there are plenty of people here that are dynamic and find life in change; embracing it is easy and natural.
Maybe we should take a (unwritten) page from Cratylus and just wordlessly wag a fnger.