• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Anthropologist in me demands it ..

Reaction score
Awards
LHP brainiacs ... What gods are/were the 72 Goetia? From which civilization did each lead? Decarabia for example is said to Lord over Africa.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Just having a quick look at the 72 and quite a few are also alien "gods" known from ancient accounts.

So, are the 72 a manufactured interface for an astral D&D?

What if the D&D game master has his own agenda for the players?

All the OTO biographies I read were tragedies Were they working with the 72 Goetia?

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
LHP brainiacs ... What gods are/were the 72 Goetia? From which civilization did each lead? Decarabia for example is said to Lord over Africa.
I think the anthropologist in you wants you to research and discover it yourself.

All the OTO biographies I read were tragedies Were they working with the 72 Goetia?
All the OTO biographies I read mention them working with Egyptian gods.

Reaction score
Awards
I think the anthropologist in you wants you to research and discover it yourself.

All the OTO biographies I read mention them working with Egyptian gods.
I think you're right, not every anthropologist researches this.
I also think reading books or having a degree in anthropology would be helpful.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
> All the OTO biographies...

I remember. They contacted me for help. It was a lethal outcome of sigil magic. They had restricted the use of sigil magic to 9th and above, when I started working on it.
Problem turned out to be they all used the same lectures and books.
  • First: Protect your family. That was done with a threefold return curse.
  • Second: Money magic by sigils.

Then it turned ugly. Their wish was granted. Large sums were received. By inheritance. From family members that had died. From their sigil magic.
The curse was activated and hit them with triple force. They had zero chance.

Reaction score
Awards
Since Avians is first, which cultures revered bird headed deities or spirits?
Egyptian
Incan
Mayan
Native American
Islanders
Where would one start...close to home.

Reaction score
Awards
A comprehensive list of lunar deities took no research the, while avian deities or bird deities is taking it's time.
Number of lunar deities (incomplete) recorded: 53,
Number of avian headed deities (incomplete) recorded: 15.
Crow people are very interesting.

Okay. Back to bird headed deities. The entire point comes from researching Goetic spirits as those characteristic of birds, and to find if possible the originating cultures that worshipped the deity. Possibly lost in the sands of time.

hungry_ghost

Internet Forum NPC
Reaction score
Awards
Where you asking me this question because of a comment I made in another thread? Honestly I think someone who actually practices the system would have a better understanding of the spirits within it. The LHP wouldn't be a good place to start because the Goetia started out as a RHP system. Understanding it from the intended perspective for historical purposes would help you understand why some of the spirit's genders and names were changed. That didn't happen to all of them though.

Anyways I know I didn't answer your question in the way you would've liked but I'll still throw you a bone. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the word ba'al was just a title used in place of several different deities in Hebrew texts. I believe the word ba'al simply translates to the word lord. So it probably was used in place for several different Egyptian and Canaanite deities.

Also Astaroth is actually a fertility goddess of love and war. Her name is Astarte. Anyways, that's all I can really think of off the top of my head. I know there's more but it's been a while since I cared about researching the spirits within the Goetia.

I personally dislike that system and I prefer something like Dukante's hierarchy over it.

Reaction score
Awards
Where you asking me this question because of a comment I made in another thread? Honestly I think someone who actually practices the system would have a better understanding of the spirits within it. The LHP wouldn't be a good place to start because the Goetia started out as a RHP system. Understanding it from the intended perspective for historical purposes would help you understand why some of the spirit's genders and names were changed. That didn't happen to all of them though.

Anyways I know I didn't answer your question in the way you would've liked but I'll still throw you a bone. Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure the word ba'al was just a title used in place of several different deities in Hebrew texts. I believe the word ba'al simply translates to the word lord. So it probably was used in place for several different Egyptian and Canaanite deities.

Also Astaroth is actually a fertility goddess of love and war. Her name is Astarte. Anyways, that's all I can really think of off the top of my head. I know there's more but it's been a while since I cared about researching the spirits within the Goetia.

I personally dislike that system and I prefer something like Dukante's hierarchy over it.
I honestly can't recall dude. Sorry for any interruption.

Reaction score
Awards
Well?
Post automatically merged:

I think a large share of bird deities come from indigenous tribal people or culture.

Last edited: