• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Music] The Epic of Gilgamesh by Peter Pringle

A post about music...

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Just want to share an artist that I have great appreciation for. He plays a lot of ancient instruments and performs ancient music dating all the way back to Mesopotamia and early near east cultures. Songs that were discovered in ancient ruins with sheet music! In this one he performs The epic of Gilgamesh but he also plays songs using the Lyre. Ancient music just flows so nicely into your ears.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Amazing! I wonder what the ancient notation system was like 🤔

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
like this. thisis i believe the oldest recorded sheet music ever discovred

image-asset.jpeg

Peter actually performs it too. Its a hymm to Goddes Nikkal

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I start listening to this, with Minecraft in the background... and as I do, a storm starts in the Minecraft world, and I start to hear pleasant, distant thunder... as I am enjoying this... the power goes out :ROFLMAO: the sumerians be playing with me.

Also the comment section of the video is pure gold!

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
The comment about kids asking a story about their grandpas childhood had me rolling on the floor.

""Grandpa, tell us a story when you were younger!"
The story: Ud rēeeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, ancient civilizations like the Sumerians sometimes fascinate me. Because of course, in modern society it's easy to fall into the trap of assuming we're so much more advanced now, and that people from thousands of years ago have nothing too significant to teach us. But then you see tiny glimpses of what they might've known, and it drives you mad that that's only a sliver compared to what's been lost to time.

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
The comment about kids asking a story about their grandpas childhood had me rolling on the floor.

""Grandpa, tell us a story when you were younger!"
The story: Ud rēeeeeeeeeeaaaaahhhhh!!
"Brings back the time when I helped my mate dissect his slave's liver to divine the whereabouts of his missing bronze sword. Good times."

Grundy

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Honestly, ancient civilizations like the Sumerians sometimes fascinate me. Because of course, in modern society it's easy to fall into the trap of assuming we're so much more advanced now, and that people from thousands of years ago have nothing too significant to teach us. But then you see tiny glimpses of what they might've known, and it drives you mad that that's only a sliver compared to what's been lost to time.
Me too haha. I actually had a whole near east civilization phase where i tried to make contact with all their dieties hahaha