• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

The Magic of Talismans

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Ah, how good it is to sometimes get some time off from social interactions...anyway, back to action.

Lately I was doing something that I like to do a lot, which is to find out more about the culture(s) of other countries, and somehow ended up stumbling upon the Agimat(also known as Anting-anting, which also seems to be what is called the Filipino magic system that makes use of said talismans), a type of amulet of sorts that is said to give some type of supernatural protection to it's wearer.

Apparently the common belief is that there are specific talismans that have specific purposes, such as making one invisible(Tagabulag) or defelct bullets(Tagaliwas), among others.In fictional works though, said objects seem to almost turn one into a demigod or a even a god of sorts by granting them powers like: Superhuman strength, self-healing, stop a live bullet, flight and etc.
I haven't searched in depth yet but it seems that some of these talismans(if not all of them) seem to have a condition that one must abide by in order to keep enjoying the boons they grant(based on a story of a famous anti-hero/criminal, one such thing would be to not get drunk/tipsy).

I'm still trying to gather more information about them(as they seem like quite the interesting subject) but I wanted to ask...does anyone here knows of something similar?Either objects or rituals made with the intent to grant the ones with/doing it a supernatural advantage?It doesn't matter if it seems sketchy or it is known to be fake, I'm just curious to see how many systems/cultures seem to have something similar to the Anting-anting.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Mostly talismans work because of an attached intelligence - elemental or better. Having a good relationship with such intelligences is central to cooperative relationship.

So: find an intelligence that you would like to work with. Form a good relationship with it.

Then look for an object in which the entity would like to anchor/resonate. If it is a stone/crystal, often it will need its trauma resolved before it is suitable to the target intelligence.

Sometimes the target intelligence will need a reward. Such an intelligence may turn out to be demanding.

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Mostly talismans work because of an attached intelligence - elemental or better. Having a good relationship with such intelligences is central to cooperative relationship.

So: find an intelligence that you would like to work with. Form a good relationship with it.

Then look for an object in which the entity would like to anchor/resonate. If it is a stone/crystal, often it will need its trauma resolved before it is suitable to the target intelligence.

Sometimes the target intelligence will need a reward. Such an intelligence may turn out to be demanding.
Thanks for the post but I wasn't asking about how to use/make talismans.

I was mostly asking about what other types(probably from other magic systems or cultural beliefs)of talismans are there.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I learned to make mojos in New Orleans from someone who knows.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Are tattoos sometimes talismans?

I knew a Maori with a large tattoo. He said it was his grandmother.

He did not say it represented his grandmother.

There seemed to be an energy flow into the tattoo.

Most tattoos I see seem to make holes in the aura of the recipient.

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I've heard of those before.
Are they one time use or do they have an "everlasting effect"?

Are tattoos sometimes talismans?
Yes, some tattoos in certain cultures are thought to grant a blessing of sorts into the person.
Such as the Sak Yant tattoos.
I hate tattoos for obvious reasons.
I like tattoos, but the idea of marking myself with something without a deep personal meaning makes me turn off from them.
I have no problem with people that tattoo themselves just to express their artistic side, but something that permanent, to me, should be much deeper than the skin it is displayed on.

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I think the real problem with tattoos is usually the tattooist. Any adverse influences upon the tattooist may go straight into the client/victim

Sacred tattooists may be good but who can find one in a western city?

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: The Magic of Talismans
※→. et al,

I have to laugh sometimes when I hear "Stan Lee" (Marvel Comics) used as an original source of some of the most worldwide recognized "superheroes." I can understand completely how the nature and purpose of Runes, Amulets, and Talismans can be so confused:

AMULET: (Greek) It is any object which is endowed by its supernatural source with some power to perform s specific mission. Perseus was given the Aegis Shield from
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
(his sister) under the instruction of
and
. The Aegis is a very special "amulet." Aegis means doing something under the protection of a powerful, knowledgeable, or benevolent source.

TALISMANS: (ARABIC) With the instruction of a deity (divine Power - divination) thereby instilling some consecrated power to an object whereas the talisman is only intended to perform one specific task.
Most Respectfully,
R

Reaction score
Awards
There are the Ninja! Volumes by Hayes, 9ne 9f which discusses cross hatching talismans along with kuji kin I believe is the name of the method. But could be wrong.

ignisnatus

Neophyte
Reaction score

What is the best way to improve the relationship with a spirit? What different ways are there?

Thank you!

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Radiate light from your heart to any intelligence with which you would like a better relationship.

Usually it is good to start with radiating heart-light to the intelligences that operate your physical and emotional bodies.

After all it is difficult to expect the spirit to like a human that does not like itself

ignisnatus

Neophyte
Reaction score
Radiate light from your heart to any intelligence with which you would like a better relationship.

Usually it is good to start with radiating heart-light to the intelligences that operate your physical and emotional bodies.

After all it is difficult to expect the spirit to like a human that does not like itself
Thanks, I didn't know about that method.

So if I want, for example, to improve my relationship with some planetary force, how do I imagine the spirit I am sending energy to from my heart? If it is, for example, Mars, do I imagine red light coming out of my heart towards the symbol of Mars?

Thank you!

Roma

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
As you might imagine the spirit (Logos) that uses Mars (for example) as its body of incarnation/manifestation is rarely interested in individual Earth humans.

The Logos of Mars does however have energies/intelligences that connect it to the Earth Logos and to various of the kingdoms of Earth, including the human.

The connections operate on various planes - etheric, astral, mental, buddhic, etc. In the human, the buddhic operates most easily through the heart.

The connections anchor on their appropriate plane as elemental energy usually with a higher entity to manage the anchor and the flows. These managing entities may belong to various kingdoms including nature spirit and higher deva.

Thus, having chosen the particular planet for connection, put your attention to the anchor of Light from On High that is in your heart, and intend/push heart-light to the particular anchor. Intent is sufficient. Imagery may appear as the connection improves.

Of course the anchor you have chosen, may or may not agree with the connection you wish to make.

Generally it is better for the human to heal itself with heart-light before risking inter-planetary connections. Most such connections contain planetary and solar systemic karma. Be careful in choosing a dancing partner.

By first stage enlightenment the human has necessarily learned to manage the impacts of planetary energies upon his/her lightbody. Constellations are the next challenge.

ignisnatus

Neophyte
Reaction score
As you might imagine the spirit (Logos) that uses Mars (for example) as its body of incarnation/manifestation is rarely interested in individual Earth humans.

The Logos of Mars does however have energies/intelligences that connect it to the Earth Logos and to various of the kingdoms of Earth, including the human.

The connections operate on various planes - etheric, astral, mental, buddhic, etc. In the human, the buddhic operates most easily through the heart.

The connections anchor on their appropriate plane as elemental energy usually with a higher entity to manage the anchor and the flows. These managing entities may belong to various kingdoms including nature spirit and higher deva.

Thus, having chosen the particular planet for connection, put your attention to the anchor of Light from On High that is in your heart, and intend/push heart-light to the particular anchor. Intent is sufficient. Imagery may appear as the connection improves.

Of course the anchor you have chosen, may or may not agree with the connection you wish to make.

Generally it is better for the human to heal itself with heart-light before risking inter-planetary connections. Most such connections contain planetary and solar systemic karma. Be careful in choosing a dancing partner.

By first stage enlightenment the human has necessarily learned to manage the impacts of planetary energies upon his/her lightbody. Constellations are the next challenge.
How interesting!
Thank you very much Roma.

Sage

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
I have to laugh sometimes when I hear "Stan Lee" (Marvel Comics) used as an original source of some of the most worldwide recognized "superheroes."
What Stan Lee has anything to do with my post?I reckon no one even mentioned him or even superheroes.
🤔
I was talking about something of the Filipino culture and was curious as to what similar types of amulets(charms/talismans/etc.) there might be from other cultures or systems.

You mean the Kuji-Kiri/Kuji In(the hand seals/mudras) of the ninjas?[Note: and I mean real ninjas, not that Naruto anime]

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

I do stem from Assassini. Of course not real ninjas. But be assured none of them made any mudras ever. Just earning some bucks for killing nobles. With a knife through the throat.

There is nothing romantic about this. But their funny hats are still in the Seal of the United States Senate.

Reaction score
Awards
What Stan Lee has anything to do with my post?I reckon no one even mentioned him or even superheroes.
🤔
I was talking about something of the Filipino culture and was curious as to what similar types of amulets(charms/talismans/etc.) there might be from other cultures or systems.

You mean the Kuji-Kiri/Kuji In(the hand seals/mudras) of the ninjas?[Note: and I mean real ninjas, not that Naruto anime]
Yep. I studied at Quest Martial Arts for three years. We were encouraged to study all six volumes of Ninja! And stick fighting by Hayes grandmaster.

Reaction score
Awards
There is .. as I study anthropology of religion .. indigenous cultures all around the world that frequently use ritual or ceremonial magic. Would not be surprised if you stumbled upon a new culture that has similar techniques. Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia have similar methods. Spain and France as grandparents of the systems.