• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Club "The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Vol I" by Marion D March and Joan McEvers

A communal reading and discussion exercise for a particular book/series.
Reaction score
Awards
This is a discussion club for the series of The Only Way to Learn Astrology, starting with Volume One.
Please do not derail the thread.
I will start reading Vol I today, for the first couple chapters and add my thoughts and questions on the material read.

Material:

Reaction score
Awards
Awesome. At least three of us then.
Post automatically merged:

A problem I am trying to understand. Ascendant in a different house than Aries, or the sun sign in Aries. I understand the idea of the planets, signs, and houses, sidreal vs tropical houses, and ascendant, descendant, IC and MC. Still cant understand how to alter the houses values and meanings when not in cardinal signs or houses.

Last edited:

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Lesson 1: Introduction, page 2
Astrology teaches us that there is harmony and symmetry in the universe and that everyone is part of the whole. Thus, you should try to understand astrology as a philosophy which helps to explain life, and not as a predictive art or science. The purpose of astrology is not to blame the planets for whatever happens to us, but, on the contrary, to learn about ourselves by planetary indication. When we see ourselves clearly we can discover within ourselves new qualities, and thus our lives can become more fulfilled, purposeful and productive.

I was reading in Ouspensky's In Search of the Miraculous this morning, and some of Gurdjieff's words on planetary influences (as recalled by Ouspensky) seem to align with the above paragraph. I'll refrain from diverting to a discussion of that book, however.

Reaction score
Awards
So does anyone else wrestle with the subject of the sun sign in another house than the ascendant first house? How then and if so alter the meanings of the other houses? So far I've read through chapter four.

Again, please to not derail this thread with anything off topic. Thank you.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I'm not in a rush to finish the book. Each lesson shall take the necessary time to sink in.

Reaction score
Awards
True, just trying to get a handle on learning obstacles. I could also stand to do the quizzes and check the incorrect answers to re-read the incorrect bits.

What I know of Astrology so far:
There are twelve houses and twelve signs, each ruled by one or two of the ten planets.
There are four triplicities:
Fire, Earth, Air, Water. (Aries, Leo, Segittarius, Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn, Gemini, Libra, Aquarius, Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces).
There are three classes of signs: Angular (1,4,7,10), Succeedent (2,5,8,11), and Cadent (3,6,9,12),
There are twelve signs in order: Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces.
There are ten major planets, the first seven the ancient planets: Luna, Mercury, Venus, Sol, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Pluto, Neptune, Uranus.
Each sign is ruled by a planet, has a Ruler, an Exaltation, a Detriment and a Fall.
I know more, but this is in brief off top of my head.

Continuing reading on this today.

Starting my reading soon.

Last edited:

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
The-Flat-Wheel.jpg

There is a lot of information in the first chapter. Before I move on to the second chapter, I expect to have The Flat Wheel memorized. That's the work for this month: drawing The Flat Wheel once every day.

Reaction score
Awards
Okay. Following the drawn chart as an exercise, thank you much for that, it leads me back to what changes in the chart when the planets in the houses change due to the ascendant?
For example, lets say someone is born in late June and therefore a Cancer with Gemini leanings, and possibly an earth sign moon or ascendant.
How does this alter the rulership, exaltation, detriment and fall of the planets in the persons chart, and the keywords in the houses and planets in the houses?

Iow, the first house would still be house of self, keyword I Am, it seems anyway.
However, the qualities of Cancer would be the qualities of the first house, and likely Mercury would be in twelfth or first house (along with Sol). Also, the moon placement might be Virgo for example, so Virgo would be Seventh house, house of relationships. Right?

Last edited:

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
the first house would still be house of self, keyword I Am
I or me. Seventh house is You, etc. As they say on page 9, "In astrology, each house has a meaning, which will be fully explained in lesson 4." I haven't gotten to lesson 4, yet.

I sent a request to find my birth time to government. Hope it comes up.
It is still only as good as the record keeping done by the doctor at that time. Was your mother awake at the time of birth?

Reaction score
Awards
Makes sense, so house meanings dont change, only the effect of the planet per signed house.

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
Various kinds of divination use "houses" that relate to astrological signs. A tarot spread can be laid out in such a way, and I've done it before (it's time consuming). Geomancy has a house layout as well, though I'm not familiar with it beyond seeing it in one of JMG's books. My only concern now is comfortable familiarity with Lesson 1. Drawing the Flat Wheel every day isn't that time consuming, and doing is always better than just reading.

Reaction score
Awards
Will detail the chart like you did and write notes on signs, planets and houses as well as general astrology notes in a notebook or word document.

Vandheer

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
It is still only as good as the record keeping done by the doctor at that time. Was your mother awake at the time of birth?
No, the request didn't work either. Dad knows of a time but its more likely the time nurse brought me to him. That will be closest I will have.

I am pretty sure astrology offers more than birth charts so I will keep going.

Drawing a whell atm. Outer planets are not a thing in the septanary system so this feels alien to me but other than that, its a good book so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
Usually the major difference is if you are a night baby or a morning baby.
With an ephemeris, most planets are within a certain range except for the moon, and at time certain other planets. Still, the moon passes to the next sign within 24 hours or thereabouts.
If you're going to make a bunch of charts anyway, you might as well start with yourself, and see what records the birth certificate or newborn hospital records can provide.

Will be delving back into this this week, I have technical studies as well as magick studies with a lot of reading, plus a few readings that are neither, unless you count Qi Gong as magickal. Plus some science and math to read as well.

Last edited: