• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Theories Regarding Properties and Mechanisms of Salts

Reaction score
It is often claimed that salt can impede entities and clear out or purify energy in order to remove blockages and purify a given space.
The claims regarding such things as charging of water and crystals among other things seems to indicate that the purifying action of salt is some manner of breakdown in which the salt acts as a catalyst.
It has also often been claimed that the colour of a given salt is indicative of properties which when considering the typical claimed properties of salt and manner in which colour usually comes up in the context of occult workings would seem to indicate affinities for particular forms of energy.
A salt consists of the positive ion (cation) of a base and the negative ion (anion) of an acid.
The colour of a salt appears to be the compromise of the respective elements spectral lines.
This indicates that the energies handled are potentially determined by overlap of spectral lines between the Cation and Anion.

With this in mind we ought now consider other seemingly unrelated materials for comparison consider their similarities and differences in composition and in this example mainly quartz which is a form of silicon dioxide and fluorite or calcium fluoride.

While quartz is often claimed to have some purifying properties, they are as typically described not as dramatic in impact as the likes of table salt or sodium chloride and seems to play more of a role in gathering and concentrating energy and is often used with other minerals.
It should be noted that silicon dioxide typically forms a tetrahedral crystal structure that results in each silicon atom being connected to 4 oxygen atoms using covalent bonds which is similar but contrasted with a form of silicate known as orthosilicate or SiO4 which acts a an anion and can form salts like sodium orthosilicate.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Fluorite is often claimed to have similar properties to table salt albeit perhaps to a lesser degree though stronger in nature than quartz and is often said to add a kind of clarity. It does not seem to generally be claimed to be the same as quartz in terms of gathering energy and instead plays more of a grounding and harmonizing role.

There are some possible general explanations for why these materials have the properties that they do:
It may well be a matter of the strength of the involved charges and the ionic nature of the fluorite, sodium chloride, and salts in general.
If this is the case, then theoretically sodium fluoride will present a stronger effect than sodium chloride.

This also allows us to formulate theories regarding the actual mechanisms of these materials:

Based on looking at the claimed properties of dioxides vs other forms of various minerals, I suspect that oxygen typically when seen in dioxides like silica dioxide is acting in the role of a 'magic' trap and results in energy being radiated or transduced based on crystal lattice and other present elements.
In other words that it traps and can resonate with magic in some crystals.

With a cation this should neutralize some types of energy, and despite this it seems to have minimal impact. It could be that anions merely circulate and carry energy until bound to something else as a filter and the stronger the charge the more powerful the effect of filtration and breakdown until it becomes measurable. Basically when you try to force energy you may break and change it.

This is extremely speculative in nature and so I would encourage independent testing and research ideally with methods being shared for replication.
This is an old theory of mine back from when I had less robust citation practices and compiled patterns from the majority of available sources looking for trends and applying a bias in favor of older and more widespread beliefs.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Interesting thoughts, actually. I never really thought of it beyond the whole "salt killed backteria/prevented rot and back then people might have thought those were caused by spirits and therefore attributed cleansing properties to salt".

Reaction score
Awards
It is often claimed that salt can impede entities and clear out or purify energy in order to remove blockages and purify a given space.
The claims regarding such things as charging of water and crystals among other things seems to indicate that the purifying action of salt is some manner of breakdown in which the salt acts as a catalyst.
It has also often been claimed that the colour of a given salt is indicative of properties which when considering the typical claimed properties of salt and manner in which colour usually comes up in the context of occult workings would seem to indicate affinities for particular forms of energy.
A salt consists of the positive ion (cation) of a base and the negative ion (anion) of an acid.
The colour of a salt appears to be the compromise of the respective elements spectral lines.
This indicates that the energies handled are potentially determined by overlap of spectral lines between the Cation and Anion.

With this in mind we ought now consider other seemingly unrelated materials for comparison consider their similarities and differences in composition and in this example mainly quartz which is a form of silicon dioxide and fluorite or calcium fluoride.

While quartz is often claimed to have some purifying properties, they are as typically described not as dramatic in impact as the likes of table salt or sodium chloride and seems to play more of a role in gathering and concentrating energy and is often used with other minerals.
It should be noted that silicon dioxide typically forms a tetrahedral crystal structure that results in each silicon atom being connected to 4 oxygen atoms using covalent bonds which is similar but contrasted with a form of silicate known as orthosilicate or SiO4 which acts a an anion and can form salts like sodium orthosilicate.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Fluorite is often claimed to have similar properties to table salt albeit perhaps to a lesser degree though stronger in nature than quartz and is often said to add a kind of clarity. It does not seem to generally be claimed to be the same as quartz in terms of gathering energy and instead plays more of a grounding and harmonizing role.

There are some possible general explanations for why these materials have the properties that they do:
It may well be a matter of the strength of the involved charges and the ionic nature of the fluorite, sodium chloride, and salts in general.
If this is the case, then theoretically sodium fluoride will present a stronger effect than sodium chloride.

This also allows us to formulate theories regarding the actual mechanisms of these materials:

Based on looking at the claimed properties of dioxides vs other forms of various minerals, I suspect that oxygen typically when seen in dioxides like silica dioxide is acting in the role of a 'magic' trap and results in energy being radiated or transduced based on crystal lattice and other present elements.
In other words that it traps and can resonate with magic in some crystals.

With a cation this should neutralize some types of energy, and despite this it seems to have minimal impact. It could be that anions merely circulate and carry energy until bound to something else as a filter and the stronger the charge the more powerful the effect of filtration and breakdown until it becomes measurable. Basically when you try to force energy you may break and change it.

This is extremely speculative in nature and so I would encourage independent testing and research ideally with methods being shared for replication.
This is an old theory of mine back from when I had less robust citation practices and compiled patterns from the majority of available sources looking for trends and applying a bias in favor of older and more widespread beliefs.
Very interesting. I'm following Mineralogy, Geology, plant spagyrics, alchemy, cell salts and organic and occult chemistry. Black salt and sea salt tossed over the shoulders appears to be the most commonly used outside of a sea salt circle which prevents some demons from coming.
I'm following this.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Great post. In this last year I used salt a couple of times to sprinkle around the circle, and I noticed some dead spiders around it in the following days. Could very well be that similar observations led to the interpretation of salt as a banishing / cleansing ingrediënt.
Also started appreciating quartz recently because it's pretty much the only "gemstone" found here in abundance in NL, and it is very easy to fashion and polish.

boymatmat

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
YES. So interesting!
Well i think that it has an important “Symbolic Purification” but also is important as salt itself can be classified as a crystal and has powerful spiritual utilities