• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

There is something similar to LHP in Shintoism?

luciel lilith

Visitor
Joined
Jun 9, 2026
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
I am a practitioner of LHP and I recently heard about Shintoism on a podcast and it caught my attention. I would like to know if there is anything similar in this tradition.
 

Nembra

Disciple
Joined
Jul 28, 2026
Messages
504
Reaction score
446
Awards
5
Kind of depends what do you mean by that question. LHP, just like RHP, is sort of an abstract amalgamation of practices, beliefs and ethics based on some Christian-themed polar dualism. It's not my intention to diminish your practice (though I've found the term itself unsatisfying as a tool of categorisation) but you must understand that there is no clearly definable "like" the LHP would be in context of traditions that don't operate within the western, post-Christian ecosystem.
 

Firetree

Disciple
Warned
Joined
Jan 13, 2026
Messages
802
Reaction score
1,033
Awards
6
What Nembra said ^ .

However there is a 'darker' side of Shintoism where cultish types got mixed up with politics and 'self aggrandizement / racial purity ' ideas that led to their military nationalistic imperialist expansion and WWII . One example of this was in the founder of Aikido ; Ueshiba , who was working to those ends (and instructing the military ). Later they survived the dismantling when they were defeated by claiming it was a martial art of 'harmony' based on ' love ' 😏

'Traditional Shintoism' is closer to the mark, but sorry , no 'left hand path practitioners' there either :D You do realise they dont even have a holy book , 'moral scripture' or even an 'absolute sense' of good and evil ?
 

ihateclowns

Apprentice
Joined
Jun 21, 2025
Messages
76
Reaction score
66
Awards
1
I am a practitioner of LHP and I recently heard about Shintoism on a podcast and it caught my attention. I would like to know if there is anything similar in this tradition.
I doubt but give it sometime, someone will create something and feed it to the world and write books make money.
 

ahathoor

Zealot
Joined
Jun 14, 2026
Messages
137
Reaction score
180
Awards
1
All I know is that an old Japanese woman whom a friend was learning Japanese from said that Shinto is a warrior's religion, Buddhism and Christianity are for weaklings... 😅 Sounds kinda LHP-y, and gives me some presuppositions about this woman's politics.

Shinto is an animistic - shamanistic religion, quite uninterested in salvation, and entirely focused on imposing solar harmony on the spirit world, manipulation of luck, health and wealth, and averting evil, exorcisms and suppression of dangerous spiritual forces. (Hence in an interesting form of syncretism, Japanese people tend to turn to Shinto for rites of life, and Buddhism for rites of death.)

This animistic - shamanistic system was as mentioned, co-opted and shaped by 19th century nationalist and 20th century fascist ideologies, so it definitely carries their impression.
 
Top