• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Time Management for Magicians studying more than Magick

Everyone's got one.
Reaction score
Awards
So how do you divide your time studying various subjects, even within Magick?
For example, my approach to Magick has been slow due to side reading, mundane matters of high priority, and other subjects I study.

For example, I study the following:
Arduino and Arduino programming
Ham Radio Technician and General exam prep for exams
C programming
Python programming
Mathematics

Magick core textbooks and supplement books on the text material
Alchemy
Zen mental state
Qabalah
Gaelic language and Celtic studies
Egyptian language and Magick studies
Astrology and Geomancy
Etc.

My strategy in practice:
I divide one hour per study area, and read all prefaces, introductions and a chapter or two at a time that fits in the hour.

For technology and mathematics it is slower, as I subdivide that hour, into study and practice segments.

What is your areas of study, and what is your time management practice?
Post automatically merged:

Surely I cannot be the 9nly student of life, someone who studies more than just one book.

Last edited:

JMPtD

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
nice library tabs. one thing you could do is read 72 minutes of the first type and 72 of the second type and there could be a spell based off of each 72 and how they work together. There is some composite combination work examples for some shapes connected with 144 on occultforum.org in the metaphysical seed post by JMPtD. 72 is a pretty cool number and has some hidden magic for many of us to learn about. I might try some magick for the quantum body book and maybe another I’m going to read soon, not sure how exactly but maybe we could add and further ideas. The 144 would fit some of the things like the calendar ideas I’m generally talking about on here as a possibility. Cool fact is the timers and such use 60 seconds before a minute but 40 is missing, so 40 could be some subtle energy to utilize a lot during times when counting.

Reaction score
Awards
Daily routine (5 days a week)

Work: 1 hour

Work related research: 2 hours

Study (non-work, non-occult subjects): 3 hours

Occult work: 1 hour

Occult study: 1 hour

Sleep: 4-6 hours

Errands: 0.5-1 hour

Family time: the rest

-Eld

Tiana Silvermoon

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
At the moment I don't have a schedule, but when I did, I divided different subjects to different days as I personally feel like one hour of anything isn't enough and too many things in a day make me feel overwhelmed.

As a freelancer I was able to make my day look something like this:
  • 1 hour to wake up and get myself together
  • 4 hours to work
  • 1 hour to rest
  • 2-4 hours to study subject of the day (you have many, so you might fit two subjects)
  • What's left before sleep goes to balance between chores and fun
Today my life is very unorganized, but I intend to get back to the scheme above. Oh, and when you need to concentrate but have troubles with it, Pomodoro technique is of great help.

Reaction score
Awards
So twelve to thirteen subjects (adding Assembly language as well as its useful for both arduino and C programming), is doable, an hour each.
This leaves 8 hours for sleep, and an hour each for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some days some subjects may get skipped, but will try to keep to the schedule including time for Grade Formulas and meditation.

Reaction score
Awards
We shall see.

You may be right, but that's worst case scenario. Likely my brain will rfuse getting burnt out and delay or derail study.
If anything has to go it will be math and programming.

Or perhaps alternate days of study of select topics.

128 pages of reading from Modern Magick by Kraig, plus all chapters up through Zelator in Kabalah, Magic and the Great Work of Self-Transformation.
Plus size reading and work through of exercises. Going to be a busy camper reading and practicing past mundane stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Awards
I saw a meme the other day saying that if you read 20 pp every day, the annual average would be thirty books read in a year. I guess that means ten pages a day to twenty pages a day from all my required reading. I have work to do this month. Math is necessary, biology and chemistry and astronomy are necessary to learn. I yearn for the day that I can afford to purchase books and science kits, and a telescope.
As far as ham radio, Arduino, and computer programming (C, Assembly, Python, MySQL) are concerned, they are necessary as well. But less priority.

I think to avoid burnout, 5pp at least daily is necessary for each topic studied.
Think about it, as college students, we took 6 to 16 credit hours (1.5 to 3.5 hours daily) which were mostly lectures and exams.
We probably put in 20 hours per week, 4 hours a day of work.
We spent the rest of the time reading our textbooks and required side reading.
Most of us had Physical Exercise and Math and Sciences study, and Social Sciences and Humanities as well. Each and every semester.
For the lifelong student, what's the difference?
Bullet journals are a neat idea.

Last edited:

WeirdGnome

Apprentice
Reaction score
I saw a meme the other day saying that if you read 20 pp every day, the annual average would be thirty books read in a year. I guess that means ten pages a day to twenty pages a day from all my required reading. I have work to do this month. Math is necessary, biology and chemistry and astronomy are necessary to learn. I yearn for the day that I can afford to purchase books and science kits, and a telescope.
As far as ham radio, Arduino, and computer programming (C, Assembly, Python, MySQL) are concerned, they are necessary as well. But less priority.
You're learning a lot. Respect! My kid just got a telescope for Christmas. They aren't expensive those days I paid like 60 bucks or so. Had not much opportunity to play with it yet because of the clouds.

Reaction score
Awards
Nice! I used to have one as a teenager, same though ... Between peeping attempts at a hot girls house and cloud cover most of the time, cannot say I saw many stars.

Lemongrass00

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
As a graduate student I can relate to time constraints, what works best for me is to do my rituals early morning and right before bed so it can influence all other daily activities, and hopefully make them align towards my goals better.

I am also studying Python and what works best for me is to learn by doing small passion projects instead of hammering over fundamentals, ultimately actually doing Python will cause you to form better connections on how it works over just reading about it. Also ChatGPT is a fantastic Python tutor.

Reaction score
Awards
Nice, a fairly good purpose of chatGPT. Yes, I agree on what you said.
I need to get up before everyone else, do my ritual Formula, and then go to bed last, doing the nightly ritual Formula.
I guess I need to just let the book flow and set a chime alarm on my phone to signal breaks or the shift to the next book.

Schedules and alarms, leading to routine. I think with me that is a key. One teacher remarked that I needed structure.
Truth.
So, I am dropping all programming at the moment except for Arduino, and substituting Anthropology studies in place of programming, which I find drastically more interesting than computer programming.

Last edited: