• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] To keep from being a LARPer or unsuccessful mage

Everyone's got one.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
W.E. Butler recommended trying to learn meditation on a busy street corner, that if you could do that, then you could meditate anywhere with loud surroundings.
Hah, I actually did something akin to this when I was training for Void of Mind for the first time, it came real useful in the end. Nowadays when I am meditating I am somehow okay with noises that normally irritate the shit out of me.

bgshawn499

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Decided, after listening to Earl Nightingales Direct Line 21 on deciding and decisions, to decide and did, the QC/LBRP/QC rituals.
It was either Dion Fortune or Delores Ashcroft-Nowicki who stated basically that a true mage could do their magic from a wheelchair if it was necessary.
W.E. Butler recommended trying to learn meditation on a busy street corner, that if you could do that, then you could meditate anywhere with loud surroundings.
Awesome Big Bro! Your plan sounds great, and another thing that you might of completely overlooked is continuing to stay connected to your Wizard Forums support group. I've personally found this forum to be a valuable tool. So much information and knowledge, Books, lessons , courses along with real world experiences right at your fingertips.
If I may add Damien Echols experience doing ritual Magick, Invoking Demons and angels, all while inside a 6x9ft prison cell on deathrow.

I've really been working on my meditation skills lately as well. After lot's of practice I've personally been able to meditate sitting on a crowded metro subway train on the way to and from work. Another thing that's a little cliche'ish but definitely works is , "One Day At A Time!!!" You have a lot going on so try not to overload yourself! Your plan sounds like a very good idea. Sticking to the basics, sticking to what works, taking baby steps is something I've had to personally do myself. Hindsight is 50/50 they say,
Looking back on it now I can see the peace and tranquility I've gained from simply taking one step at a time. I don't know if you can relate to this, Most of the time I'm my biggest critic! Most times I'm doing a lot better than I'm feeling.
Love&Light,
Shawn S

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks bro, will try all the suggestions and keep at it :)
Post automatically merged:

Hah, I actually did something akin to this when I was training for Void of Mind for the first time, it came real useful in the end. Nowadays when I am meditating I am somehow okay with noises that normally irritate the shit out of me.
That's awesome about you and @bgshawn499 keeping at the meditations!

Reaction score
Weirdly enough I think the key to not being a "LARPer" in this sense is to not take yourself too seriously. Don't be too hard on yourself if some things don't work and be willing to take breaks and reflect.

Pyrokar

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Live Action Roleplay -er
Dungeons n Dragons?
Personally as a lover or rpg's i don't like the insinuation but it sorta is valid.
we used to call those armchair magicians.
You'd be surprised how much of a grasp they have on actual practice methods in their rulebooks.
And they are also very imaginative in it's uses, another contest where they would easily surprise.

Reaction score
Awards
What Pyrokar said, only dressed up like they went to a Renaissance fair, as wepl as rubber elf ears worn.

Xenophon

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Decided, after listening to Earl Nightingales Direct Line 21 on deciding and decisions, to decide and did, the QC/LBRP/QC rituals.
It was either Dion Fortune or Delores Ashcroft-Nowicki who stated basically that a true mage could do their magic from a wheelchair if it was necessary.
Philip Kapleau (the gent who started Rochester Zen Center) mentioned that the Thai wat he did a sojourn at during his stint as a journeyman monk deliberately fed a large population of stray dogs. It seems this was a test of focus: can you sit in samadhi with a dog back fighting under the temple's floor?

Reaction score
Awards
Deciding to do the rituals daily, invoking often using vibration in my head or whispering so as to not disturb others in the household.
And if I never make it to Adept or greater, then do be it, I will have tried.
I've had minor successes, and as mentioned, deciding 8t to be so and being proactive at the same time to juggle complex mundane problems is working.
Or so it seems anyway. Many reported successes by me might've been flukes or destined to occur anyway. So I stay with the elemental work, cut through the phobias and just do it.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
And if I never make it to Adept or greater, then do be it, I will have tried.
But how can you ever make it to adept thats the problem, no Self Initiation book has ever went above the Portal grade. Its an essential reason why I eventually dropped anything Golden Dawn, it looks and feels like a dead end.

Or so it seems anyway. Many reported successes by me might've been flukes or destined to occur anyway.
This goes for anyone. Its hard to experiment like a lab. Even if they are experimentable it would get real tiring. The line between magic and happenstance isn't solid, it still works by laws of nature. You just have to accept it as it is and move on.

Reaction score
Awards
That's a fair point. Same went for Solitaires in Wicca. Self Initiation into the Golden Dawn can only bring you so far.

You need access to the vault, and the initiation ala Christian Rosenkreutz. To be symbolically dead and brought back to life.

Farrell wrote many post adept books with the grade initiations included. I could try getting those books again, and initiating by chessboard.

The trick really within that system is to be initiated by "The Three Secret Chiefs".

More than likely I will pursue A.A. after my attempt. Even by repeating the grades, the task will be to obtain and study the required texts. Bonus that I will have one on one teaching.

But the real secret appears to me is persistence, dedication and devotion to be initiated, even astrally by method.

Vandheer

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I have heard there are some adepts willing to help initating you into second order should you prove capable.

That vault is a neccesity, it does represent the entire Cosmos.

More than likely I will pursue A.A. after my attempt
But why waste time when you could go for it now? You aren't getting any younger

Reaction score
Awards
Well, Im a Libra (though a Scorpio ascendant and Leo moon), so decisions are not my strong suit.

Quareia, Fraternity of the Hidden Light, Builders of the Adytum, Temple of Astarte, Astrum Argentum, Golden Dawn offshoots.

Tough choices to choose from. Also, my prime goal is to finish what I start, so we'll see what happens after Portal via Chrsitophers book.