• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

True Repentance as a tool

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Hello Wizard Forums,

I wanted to highlight a spiritual tool that I have found to have great personal benefit to myself, and one that can have drastic life changing effects on yours.

Before going any further I'd like to clarify that I am not calling anyone to repentance, nor am I seeking to teach anyone the steps of true repentance, that goes beyond my scope. I am attempting to reintroduce this concept to my fellow magicians so, hopefully, you can see what I see. I am posting this as non-dogmatically as possible.

I posted this in the General Discussion section as I do not view repentance as a Right or Left kind of thing, nor could it be said that any one religion or philosophy owns its secrets.

I will begin by explaining Repentance as it was taught to me by my teachers (both incorrectly and the later correct version)

Echoes of an unfortunate misunderstanding

The concept of repentance came to me much in the same way it came to many in the Western World; poorly taught in Sunday School. My well-meaning teachers(Church appointed babysitters) preached to my young mind that repentance was a way to, in part, make up for some sin I had committed. Then, perhaps without knowing what they were doing, they would spend time describing their own hard fought spiritual battles, and the pain they suffered along their road to repentance.

They made repentance seem horrible and to be avoided.

This had the effect of binding the ideas of suffering and pain to the spiritual process of repentance, forming an unfortunate association in my young and impressionable mind.

To me the process was always:

Sin => feel bad => recognize my sin => confess before God => confess to my spiritual leader => do what they say to atone => feel better.

This process likely looks familiar to a few of you, a few of you may have even shuddered or bristled at this. This is a common, but mistaken understanding of a far more sublime and beautiful process.

True(er) origins

Later, in my early 20s I had a spiritual teacher who imparted to me the wisdom of orgins for our concept of Repentance.

Though he used academic and religious sorces (and I will do the same) I will try to do his words justice, for they had a truly enlightening effect upon my spirit.

I'll begin:

The orgins of much of our Western psyche and ideals have their roots in Bible. Though not everyone in the West reveres this book, the Bible's influence can be felt in much of the way Westerners think and act.

Many times when asking the questions of "Why is society like this?" Westerners can find that concepts preserved and delivered to us via the Holy Bible are at the center of things.

For that reason I need everyone to understand that the Bible is not an infallible book, and due to this any time we approach this Bible we should do so with the same care and complete approach as we do with grimoires.

The Old Testament was originally written in ancient Hebrew, and the word often used for repentance is שׁוּב (shûb) which loosely translates to, "Turning away from."

It's a bit more of a common phrase, as I could "shûb" my back to someone out of shame, or anger. However, there are enough clues used in the Bible to have convinced many that "shûb" when used here takes on a more formal, "turning away from something inorder to fulfill a vow."

Shûb also has a common meaning associated with a renewal of life, especially taking a breath if fresh air.

Repentance, though still not an easy thing to do (admitting you're wrongs never is) but man, it seems like the ancient Hebrews had a better version than my Sunday School teacher.

The New Testament was originally written in Greek, and here the word used for repentance is, μετάνοια, (metanoia)

Being more than just a fun word to roll around in your mouth, metanoia is translated to, "to think differently afterwards” or “changing your mind after."

Astute readers will notice an absence of any sort of hellfire, damnation, or shame.

The unfortunate translation

It seems as though the original intent for teaching Repentance was to show the sinner that they didn't have to stay bound to what was hurting them, they could, "turn away from", "take a fresh breath, and change their ways."

Our problem comes from Latin. By the time the Bible (already heavily edited) was ready for translation into Latin someone decided to use the word "poenitere." This word is related to the words punish, penance, penitent, and repentance. The beautiful meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words was thus changed in Latin to a meaning that involved hurting, punishing, whipping, cutting, mutilating, disfiguring, starving, or even torturing.

Of course, I can't go back in time to see who made this translation, and if they knew they effects this may cause. However, humans being what we are, many took the now more painful definition and ran with it.

Conclusion

Like with many subtle tools, I can't really tell you exactly what to do with repentance. I lack the personal knowledge to council you, and more importantly I lack the spiritual authority to help you with your repentance.

I have come to see repentance as a spiritual tool. It's tool I reach for when I truly want to change something about myself, and I don't mean like going on a diet. In a non-religious way, I have felt the chains of my own great Enemy fall from my life. Temptations to return to old, destructive habits became laughable to me, my step has more life in it.

I have have gained the most ground while overcoming my deepest spiritual weaknesses (work in progress tbh) after embracing true repentance.

Last but not least, my magic has become notably more potent as I incorporate a regular repentance process into my life. Though this should not be a surprise, repentance cleans out ones spiritual gunk, so of course I'd feel like my engines are running clean.

I wanted to release the information I have on this spiritual tool so others may be blessed by it.

I wanted to highlight it here, as I know many times magician kind of get "stuck" in subtle ways, and Repentance has gotten me "un-stuck"

Be well and may your strength be more than a match for your burdens,

N0th

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Excellent

Repenting relieves karma, in medieval literature the Jews n Christians would torture themselves as time went on their teachers told them the key was inner repentance not tormenting themselves

things like hell, wandering the earth, reincarnation, are for debts unpaid and evolution

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you, Mider.

I wonder if it's just human nature, we like to punish ourselves, or at least feel some fulfillment in suffering.

The pull towards suffering may be an important part of how we as humans are designed to function, it may fill some need. Perhaps repentance was always intended as a spiritual "release valve" so we wouldn't go overboard in some of the more negative aspects of ourselves?

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I like this description. It seems very closely tied to the idea of loosening the grip of the egoic structure of the mind. The ego loves suffering, as it creates division, thereby creating a sense of ‘self’. While the notion of self is important, especially when considered in the context of physical survival, it creates a lot of unnecessary hurt when allowed to run amok. The key to both repentance and the ego is awareness. Be aware of your thoughts, current actions (and the ideas and emotions influencing them), and past mistakes, and choose to step out of the patterns of behavior that no longer serve you.

It is also wise to consider the context your information comes from. While it is wonderful we have such unfettered access to ancient texts and their translations, those multiple translations so often become a game of telephone. It is worth doing what you have done and trying to go back to the original language to see if the definition changes.

Merlinscloak

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
@Noth Being more than just a fun word to roll around in your mouth, metanoia is translated to, "to think differently afterwards” or “changing your mind after."
Thanks, I got the point of your post. I would like is to mention how well written your post is. I work the esoteric information stored within the historical documents called the bible. If I could write posts as well as this one, I would feel much accomplished.

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
@Noth Being more than just a fun word to roll around in your mouth, metanoia is translated to, "to think differently afterwards” or “changing your mind after."
Thanks, I got the point of your post. I would like is to mention how well written your post is. I work the esoteric information stored within the historical documents called the bible. If I could write posts as well as this one, I would feel much accomplished.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

One if my earliest successful workings was intended to help me communicate effectively.

Merlinscloak

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Thank you, I appreciate that.

One if my earliest successful workings was intended to help me communicate effectively.
I will consider the possibility of a working to help me communicate in words more effectively. Thanks

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Beautifully written, Noth. And surprising in some aspects. An hour before I read your post I had said: "Never repent your sins. Instead use them as wings to take up to the sky, to love, freedom, sensuality and true emotions."

I suggested to use that what street preachers define as sin to use as a tool for personal progression.

Metanoia (the famous super-ego or conscience) is aquired by parents, teachers and other local ethical or moral belief systems. Metanoia contains its own punishment system, the paranoia. Nobody had to ever invent it. It is a natural part of our social control patterns.

Noth, your name is interesting: Nothwende, Naudhiz. A rune that tells you to repent and turn around.

You got my attention. Well done.

Noth

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
Beautifully written, Noth. And surprising in some aspects. An hour before I read your post I had said: "Never repent your sins. Instead use them as wings to take up to the sky, to love, freedom, sensuality and true emotions."

I suggested to use that what street preachers define as sin to use as a tool for personal progression.

Metanoia (the famous super-ego or conscience) is aquired by parents, teachers and other local ethical or moral belief systems. Metanoia contains its own punishment system, the paranoia. Nobody had to ever invent it. It is a natural part of our social control patterns.

Noth, your name is interesting: Nothwende, Naudhiz. A rune that tells you to repent and turn around.

You got my attention. Well done.
Thank you!

That's interesting, I'll have to look up the runes now, I'm not as well versed in them as I'd like to be.

Speaking of the Greek Metanoia, it is also interesting to see what kind of spiritual threads from ancient Greek and Roman times we have in the West.

I am convinced that society works on at least 2 levels, rules for those more "in the know", and rules for the rabble. Those "in the know" seem to have more ancient knowledge.

The quick path and the long.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If you let Christianity have its way, you would land in Ancient Greece at the end. To be more precise in Hellenistic Greece. Which sounds attractive on its bright side but has a dark side worse than any atomic bomb. I am talking about the Bacchantes, about the Rites of Eleusia, drugs, incest and pedophilia. The dark mysteries of certain fountains, the Mercurius and the Pan Fountains to name only two. Without diving too deep into these rotten and hideous aspects I can safely state that this system, that is comparable to Communism in many aspects, steals every joy and every hope out of life. All colors disappear and are replaced by a dark and hopeless leaden depression. The Greek were very lucky to find the colorful myths of the Ancient Egypts to save them just in time before they got sucked irreversably in a destructive maelstrom without any chance of return.

Modern Christians and modern Communists are indeed fanatically pushing for abysal systems that have already been proven to leed into a fiasco. Both would say, they all did it wrong before. But for both the dark side is so attractive that they are lying for the price of a short time of egoistic ecstasy.

In the past and today both these cultures had and have a divided society. The ones to rule and enjoy borderless lust and the others to obey and serve following the rules.

My profession as a pastor came to a full stop with that insight. I left all religion and politics and became an occultist.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
If you let Christianity have its way, you would land in Ancient Greece at the end. To be more precise in Hellenistic Greece. Which sounds attractive on its bright side but has a dark side worse than any atomic bomb. I am talking about the Bacchantes, about the Rites of Eleusia, drugs, incest and pedophilia. The dark mysteries of certain fountains, the Mercurius and the Pan Fountains to name only two. Without diving too deep into these rotten and hideous aspects I can safely state that this system, that is comparable to Communism in many aspects, steals every joy and every hope out of life. All colors disappear and are replaced by a dark and hopeless leaden depression. The Greek were very lucky to find the colorful myths of the Ancient Egypts to save them just in time before they got sucked irreversably in a destructive maelstrom without any chance of return.

Modern Christians and modern Communists are indeed fanatically pushing for abysal systems that have already been proven to leed into a fiasco. Both would say, they all did it wrong before. But for both the dark side is so attractive that they are lying for the price of a short time of egoistic ecstasy.

In the past and today both these cultures had and have a divided society. The ones to rule and enjoy borderless lust and the others to obey and serve following the rules.

My profession as a pastor came to a full stop with that insight. I left all religion and politics and became an occultist.
What are you talking about?

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
I was reading book by the Ramchal today

the commentary by the late Rabbi Abraham Twerski M.D. said that it was a sin to shame others, meaning when we feel shame we dwell on bad emotions that don’t help, but when we feel shame we may feel the need to change and fix our ways.

I always thought Christianity was a bit lost in the past when they figured that they could do messed up things and not make things right.

Bandaboy

Apprentice
Reaction score
I believe that it has the ability of changing you. Where you feel you have infringed on yourself or someone else. But from the Christian point of view, there is the issue of making infractions against God, and this is where Jesus Christ's blood comes. In.

From my personal experience, once one is washed with Jesus Christ's blood after correct water baptism, a life of repentance and continual confession is needed where you fall into sin.
In such cases, demons come through to accuse you of your sins so as to gain right from God to deal with you. If God's mercy isn't availed, then the demons get the right to do what they want with you.

I have found that confession helps me in this regard; gaining the advantage over certain kinds of evil spirits. Some evil spirits I come across are weak, and you can deal with them even in sin. But there are higher ranking ones that point out your sin and use that as a means to obtain power over you.

I remember just last year, a fallen angel was sent to deal with me and take me from my home in the astral to some dimension to be imprisoned. This would lead to sickness and then death. I tried to return to my body but he blocked my entry and exercised his power freely on account of my sin. I tried to fight back but to no avail. I realised this being has the upper hand over me and knelt and asked God for his mercy, to which he instantly replied through me and dealt with that being.

If I didn't have that sin (which I'm not mentioning, lol) then I wouldn't have even in that situation in the first place. Or at least if I performed metanoia as stated here in this thread.

Repentance thus in my conclusion accelerates one's spiritual growth and strength.