• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Tuna fish

Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone overcome an aversion to tuna? If so please explain. Perhaps tastier dishes made with tuna?

As a kid and teen my tastes shifted with mushrooms and tuna, it's hard to explain, I used to love tuna salad.

However. I've been graced with a lot of tuma and don't want to waste it.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I usually can’t stand the stuff but really enjoy it with macaroni and cheese. Mix it in for a nice little protein boost.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For me, the only way I eat tuna is raw, sushi grade, with a little bit of wasabi and soy sauce, and a minor resentment that I am eating tuna instead of salmon sashimi.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
For me, the only way I eat tuna is raw, sushi grade, with a little bit of wasabi and soy sauce, and a minor resentment that I am eating tuna instead of salmon sashimi.
That said, if you are making fresh tuna, heat up a pan, show it to the tuna for a second and ready to serve. Same counts for steak.

I do have an air-pressure tuna harpoon in my cellar. There are things in my life, that are not disputable at all.

Reaction score
Awards
I used to love tuna salad sandwiches, made with celery salt, onion powder,.mayo and celery.
With tuna noodle casserole, used to do okay with my mom's, but a neighbor made some with peas and tuña and it turned me off entirely.

Calicifer

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Just keep eating tuna and you will get used to it eventually. Your gut bacteria will change and its composition will send message to your brains what food you should or should not like eating. Lack of appetite for tuna might as well be lost ability to digest it. If there is still bacteria in your gut, it will repopulate. If not, you might not get back your desire to eat tuna. Only shoving other people shit through your behind can help you then.

Though, if we are being less scientific, just get the least aggressive tasting tuna. I did not tried fresh, but I do enjoy canned tuna. Make yourself a sandwich with little tuna on it. Just for it to get an after-taste of it. Over time you will get used to it and you will be able to increase how much of it you can eat.

Personally, I cannot recall being unable or un-wanting to eat something which I could in youth. I became more tolerant of spoiled food though. I started to like marinated or fermented pickles. Though, only in a very specific way. My grandmother had an unmatched super recipe for them. She put cherry leaves, gooseberry, red and black currant leaves, dill and rheum root. My mother or the whole food industry simply are incapable of making good marinated pickles. They all taste awful to me. I also could not stand sauerkraut as a child, but now they are okey and I prefer them on certain meals just to have balance in taste.

Though, I found it hilarious that Germans are supposedly famous for their sauerkraut and sausages. In Germany I found them to be just average, but rest of their food was horrible. By the Gods, there wasn't in the history of humanity another nation which would be so incompetent at making food. Mcdonalds to me seemed great, because how I disliked German food. When I crossed border, I was so delighted to be able to buy fast food in Poland at a bus station. Cheap trash food tasted like a feast to me after being subjected to German cuisine for months.

Btw: I do not eat spoiled food from supermarket like some people. My family loves spoiled cheese either with blue fungi or one which laid on the ground being eaten by slugs. My sister loves Kombucha. This drink is for people who drank home brew kompot and thought: "It would be so much better if this drink would be spoiled". Stupid people, I will throw you some snails and blue mold from bread into it and I will let it sit open under a sun for a day or two. Here is your home brew kombucha for you. Complete with fully grown fungi like in some drinks.

As you can see, I never understood why people eat spoiled food. My brain would always go: "What you are doing? Don't eat spoiled food you dum dum". There are quite few other things in cuisine which I just do not get it. Stale bread. Indian kitchen where they put some meat into their spices. Western over-reliance on salt. Aged cheese for one too many years. Etc.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Sauerkraut is an invention of the Alsace, today France. A top cuisine region. Germany has the most high star rating restaurants in Europe directly after the leader France according to the Guide Michelin.
Pro-tip: Do not buy/eat processed food in Germany. Cook yourself or eat at a restaurant. Done.

Reaction score
Awards
Just keep eating tuna and you will get used to it eventually. Your gut bacteria will change and its composition will send message to your brains what food you should or should not like eating. Lack of appetite for tuna might as well be lost ability to digest it. If there is still bacteria in your gut, it will repopulate. If not, you might not get back your desire to eat tuna. Only shoving other people shit through your behind can help you then.

Though, if we are being less scientific, just get the least aggressive tasting tuna. I did not tried fresh, but I do enjoy canned tuna. Make yourself a sandwich with little tuna on it. Just for it to get an after-taste of it. Over time you will get used to it and you will be able to increase how much of it you can eat.

Personally, I cannot recall being unable or un-wanting to eat something which I could in youth. I became more tolerant of spoiled food though. I started to like marinated or fermented pickles. Though, only in a very specific way. My grandmother had an unmatched super recipe for them. She put cherry leaves, gooseberry, red and black currant leaves, dill and rheum root. My mother or the whole food industry simply are incapable of making good marinated pickles. They all taste awful to me. I also could not stand sauerkraut as a child, but now they are okey and I prefer them on certain meals just to have balance in taste.

Though, I found it hilarious that Germans are supposedly famous for their sauerkraut and sausages. In Germany I found them to be just average, but rest of their food was horrible. By the Gods, there wasn't in the history of humanity another nation which would be so incompetent at making food. Mcdonalds to me seemed great, because how I disliked German food. When I crossed border, I was so delighted to be able to buy fast food in Poland at a bus station. Cheap trash food tasted like a feast to me after being subjected to German cuisine for months.

Btw: I do not eat spoiled food from supermarket like some people. My family loves spoiled cheese either with blue fungi or one which laid on the ground being eaten by slugs. My sister loves Kombucha. This drink is for people who drank home brew kompot and thought: "It would be so much better if this drink would be spoiled". Stupid people, I will throw you some snails and blue mold from bread into it and I will let it sit open under a sun for a day or two. Here is your home brew kombucha for you. Complete with fully grown fungi like in some drinks.

As you can see, I never understood why people eat spoiled food. My brain would always go: "What you are doing? Don't eat spoiled food you dum dum". There are quite few other things in cuisine which I just do not get it. Stale bread. Indian kitchen where they put some meat into their spices. Western over-reliance on salt. Aged cheese for one too many years. Etc.
Great ideas, thank you.

On German food, love it.

Calicifer

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I was surprised about sauerkraut. It is such a common place dish in Lithuania and many surrounding regions that it took me as odd that it is German national dish. I guess, every food has to come from somewhere and be considered someone's. Ours are Cepelinai and Šakočiai.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Despite of being Krauts we don't eat it very much. In some parts of Bavaria they do but very seldom.
Germans love salads, BBQ, and soups and of course their beloved sourdough bread slices with butter and different topics.
Cepelinai, the Zeppelins, are gefüllte Knödel. Knödel have a vast variety, Leberknödel with liver, Königsberger Klopse with ground meat and so on.
Šakočiai is Baumkuchen, you get that together with Dresdner Christstollen during the winter time.

Silsebyl

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Calicifer, I'll bet the bread you eat is either 'spoiled' by yeast or by lactic acid bacteria. They are dead of course because of the heat, yet they're needed to make good bread. ;)

Fermentation is an excellent way to preserve food. In times without fridge indispensable. Yet, if you don't like it, fine. We have the good fortune to live in countries where we are free to chose our food. :cool:

Calicifer

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I do not like even smelling yeast as my body considers it toxic and gets allergic to it. We used yeast for everything, I never liked. When I discovered yeast-free food, I realized that our family do not know how to make good dough. Yeast-free dough tastes so much better for me. I just do not like taste which it adds to a final product. It makes it feel like food is slightly spoiled. In general, I dislike ''live'' food as far as I know. Drinks, yogurts, etc. I do not like alcohol in general, but it being "live" just adds an extra layer of foulness to me.

Acidity in general is something which I really dislike in my food as it is too closely associated with spoiled food. Though, there are probably some exceptions for I grown to mildly like sauerkraut or fermented cabbage as it is called in Lithuania. I absolutely hated it as a child, but I grew to like the taste over the years.

Centh

Apprentice
Reaction score
Has anyone overcome an aversion to tuna? If so please explain. Perhaps tastier dishes made with tuna?

As a kid and teen my tastes shifted with mushrooms and tuna, it's hard to explain, I used to love tuna salad.

However. I've been graced with a lot of tuma and don't want to waste it.
Sorry for the necro but I just dropped in to say I fucking love tuna.
I love tuna so much that I will eat it on celery despite celery tasting like soap to me.