• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Ubuntu 14 on Pavilion G6 no LAN

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
For me, Mint is Ubuntu without Snap packages. I prefer Flatpaks anyway! Other than that, I just want an operating system that gets outa the way and doesn't need a ton of packages updating all the time as is often the case with a rolling release distro.
True, I do hate snap packages too. Makes sense.

I love the AUR on Arch... and honestly, if building from source wasn't so slow and manual, I'd love the Gentoo system as well.

I am on Centos since a decade.

Solaris was great but expensive, though.
Why use these OSes outside of servers? What do you gain by using CentOS instead of the more updated Fedora?

And Solaris? That's like using Windows or MacOS but with even less software.

I get their use in business and infrastructure, and if you want to learn it, but to use it on a normal consumer machine... help me understand 😂

Reaction score
Awards

I love the AUR on Arch... and honestly, if building from source wasn't so slow and manual, I'd love the Gentoo system as well.

Why use these OSes outside of servers? What do you gain by using CentOS instead of the more updated Fedora?

I get their use in business and infrastructure, and if you want to learn it, but to use it on a normal consumer machine... help me understand 😂
The major reason why we might use RedHat, CentOS, Solaris, HpUX, etc is because large scale enterprises use these. Yes, each has its pros and cons. When people look for large scale products like those, they typically get a lot of tools, and develop their own apps.

Öwnchef

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards

I use Centos exclusively on our servers. My PC has Win 7, hehe. As an Adobe Developer I have their products for free and its all set up and running. Next machine will probably have proxmox for more flexibility.

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I need to get LAN details from my roommate since his computer is functional, and use the wired lan. It appears that the reason I had such trouble with windows was due to a wifi hardware issue.
Manual wired networking seems to want to work, so hopefully the cable is fine to use.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
I use Centos exclusively on our servers. My PC has Win 7, hehe. As an Adobe Developer I have their products for free and its all set up and running. Next machine will probably have proxmox for more flexibility.
Nice, totally jealous of the Adobe products for free thing! I negotiated myself a really good rate with them, 60% off the entire CC suite, for life... but still would be nice to have them fully for free... Good stuff!

KjEno186

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Reaction score
Awards
I have fun on my computer. None of this business crap for me! My main PC runs Mint Mate 20. I have over a hundred games in my Steam library (damn you Steam sales!!) which run using Valve's version of WINE called Proton. Games which didn't work a couple years ago now play as well as they did on Windows. I'm spoiled for choices and frankly don't have time to play as much as I used to. Oh and I even got ENB working on a heavily modded Skyrim SE. It's not always plug and play, but it's a far cry better for me than digging deep inside Windows to remove all the parts that Microsoft attaches like so many parasites on an egregor.

Reaction score
Awards
Getting closer. Now when I do

ifconfig arp multicast eth0 up

It shows an adapter that is up on the wired connection, receiving but not transmitting. My bet is a bad cable.

Reaction score
Awards
I think a test Ethernet cable from laptop to router is the winning first method.
My interface shows eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx inet addr 10.20.30.40 UP BROADCAST DYNAMIC
Tx Packets:0
Post automatically merged:

This thread came be closed, I no longer have the hardware in my posession.
Post automatically merged:

This thread can be closed that is.

Last edited: