• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Unfortunate Titles

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Some words just sound a little "off," you know? I see on my profile that I'm now an "acolyte." I feel uncomfortable. Like I should be going to 12-step meetings. Can almost hear my stepson thinking, "Mom dumped Pop and took up with THIS? This foul-mouthed acolyte!" I mean, it's not like I don't have reasons. In my youth, my first boss groomed me into accepting a mentoring relationship---now THERE is another word that never felt right: "mentor."

How about youse? Any words that make your skin crawl no matter what the dictionary says they mean? Case in point: I never hear the words "suffragin bishop" without thinking he must be both sinply outrageous and into S&M as well. (Probably due to the hint at suffering in the first syllable there.) When I was a kid, I was scandalized to hear Australia had started out as a "penal colony." I STILL have nightmares about what Crocodile Dundee's ancestors were up to.

Yazata

Staff member
Sr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Some words just sound a little "off," you know? I see on my profile that I'm now an "acolyte." I feel uncomfortable. Like I should be going to 12-step meetings. Can almost hear my stepson thinking, "Mom dumped Pop and took up with THIS? This foul-mouthed acolyte!" I mean, it's not like I don't have reasons. In my youth, my first boss groomed me into accepting a mentoring relationship---now THERE is another word that never felt right: "mentor."

How about youse? Any words that make your skin crawl no matter what the dictionary says they mean? Case in point: I never hear the words "suffragin bishop" without thinking he must be both sinply outrageous and into S&M as well. (Probably due to the hint at suffering in the first syllable there.) When I was a kid, I was scandalized to hear Australia had started out as a "penal colony." I STILL have nightmares about what Crocodile Dundee's ancestors were up to.
There is (or was?) a way to customize your title in your profile. You'll see some members have these but it could be a feature that is only permitted to Benefactors. I'm not sure. Look into the settings on your profile.

SkullTraill

Glorious Light of Knowledge and Power
Staff member
Custodian
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Benefactors can change their user title.

The WF user titles are clearly documented here for anyone to read prior to joining: [Official] - WF Ranks & User Title Ladder

The chance of me revamping the entire user title ladder is close to 0.

Xenophon

Apostle
Warned
Reaction score
Awards
Yes, Benefactors can change their user title.

The WF user titles are clearly documented here for anyone to read prior to joining: [Official] - WF Ranks & User Title Ladder

The chance of me revamping the entire user title ladder is close to 0.
I wasn't grousing. "Acolyte" is a perfectly descriptive word for my status here. I just said that some words sound a bit off to different people. It's food for amusement, not a linguistic pogrom.
Post automatically merged:

"Creep". "Toxic". "Narcissist".
Oddly enough, I get those terms a lot on dates and job interviews. Maybe some psychic resonance that's leading me to adepthood? Or just mundane wake-up calls?