• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

use voodoo doll every day?

opiumpoetry

Neophyte
Reaction score
Is a voodoo doll something to be used every day till you see some results or is it once again a once-and-done thing? I've come across articles on each side. Or should I just use it in chaos magick and do my own thing? Thx for your help.

Ancient

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Voodoo is not so much a self-initiated tradition. One generally comes from the lineage or finds a practitioner to formally teach them. Even on the forum here these people are few and far between. As such, I think you could probably find a better solution to your problem.

Have you heard of poppets? A poppet is very similar to a voodoo doll but comes from the much more accessible tradition of witchcraft. Some quick googling will lead you to a ton of information about poppets and how to use them.

something to be used every day till you see some results
As a general rule in magic, no. Whether it applies to a voodoo doll, a curse, a money ritual, or anything else, generally performing the act once and waiting is the most commonly accepted method. Patience will often reward you. The main exception to this rule is work done on the self - rituals intended for banishing/cleansing or empowering one's self or surroundings. These things are good for the serious practitioner to do daily. For any external influencing (affecting another person's life or body directly) you attempt once is all I would recommend. If you don't see the results you want after a week or two, try a different method rather than redo-ing the same thing over and over.

opiumpoetry

Neophyte
Reaction score
Voodoo is not so much a self-initiated tradition. One generally comes from the lineage or finds a practitioner to formally teach them. Even on the forum here these people are few and far between. As such, I think you could probably find a better solution to your problem.

Have you heard of poppets? A poppet is very similar to a voodoo doll but comes from the much more accessible tradition of witchcraft. Some quick googling will lead you to a ton of information about poppets and how to use them.

As a general rule in magic, no. Whether it applies to a voodoo doll, a curse, a money ritual, or anything else, generally performing the act once and waiting is the most commonly accepted method. Patience will often reward you. The main exception to this rule is work done on the self - rituals intended for banishing/cleansing or empowering one's self or surroundings. These things are good for the serious practitioner to do daily. For any external influencing (affecting another person's life or body directly) you attempt once is all I would recommend. If you don't see the results you want after a week or two, try a different method rather than redo-ing the same thing over and over.
"If you don't see the results you want after a week or two, try a different method rather than redo-ing the same thing over and over."
Finally, some real advice I can use. Thx!
Post automatically merged:

So how is a poppet different from a voodoo doll? Seems to me they're the same.

Last edited:

HoldAll

Librarian
Staff member
Librarian
Reaction score
Awards
So how is a poppet different from a voodoo doll? Seems to me they're the same.

Anthropologists use "voodoo doll" as a generic term for "poppet" in their books in any cultural context, e.g. for figurines pierced with nails according to Greek Magical Papyri formulas where of course no African-Caribbean was involved (surprisingly unscholarly of them to align their terminology with popular Hollywood-influenced culture).

Some authors writing in favor of cursing opine that curses help restore peace of mind in the caster - the ritual is done, the problem taken care of, let's move on to more productive things. You won't get that peace of mind if you keep repeating the ritual over and over again, it will just rekindle the hate, the anger, whatever, and ultimately become an obsession, and a very unpleasant one at that (unless you're of a sadistic bent and look for a pretext to curse people right and left).

I agree with @Ancient - this is not a type of operation that lends itself easily to routine daily repetition, not like Damon Brand's "Success Magick", for example, which takes a staggering 49 weeks to complete but is basically work on yourself. A curse should be involve a climactic ritual, I feel, and not be repeated by rote every day.

And only ever ask questions here if you are really sure that your ritual was unsuccessful, otherwise you'll talk a spell that is still pending to death.