• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

[Opinion] Wands and Athames

Everyone's got one.

Seimulluh

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
that made a great deal of using wood from a lightning-struck tree. I think that'd be the cat's-a**, too. Such trees are hard to find. Hereabouts

Next to my house, over 10 years ago, biggest european spruce we had on our yard got hit by lightning during the night. I was inside the house around 10 meters away watching the lightnings play, when the lightning struck the tree. The sound was insanely loud. Some wood splinters flew even to the roof of my neighbours house, maybe 50 meters distance. I still have some of the wood but at least in some Finnish folklore it is said it should be birch instead of spruce for magical purposes. The tree should anyhow have some power of the lightning, I think. I still have lot of that material(lot was burned in sauna, not the brightest thing to do) and I have been thinking if I should use it in mojo bags, maybe in dust form.

Maybe it could be used for wand, even though I think other trees are often preferred instead of spruce(?)

On a side note, PS3, PC and router were destroyed by that lightning. Years after that, I found out that the disk of the PC wasn't broken, only the motherboard and PSU.

AlfrunGrima

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Next to my house, over 10 years ago, biggest european spruce we had on our yard got hit by lightning during the night. I was inside the house around 10 meters away watching the lightnings play, when the lightning struck the tree. The sound was insanely loud. Some wood splinters flew even to the roof of my neighbours house, maybe 50 meters distance. I still have some of the wood but at least in some Finnish folklore it is said it should be birch instead of spruce for magical purposes. The tree should anyhow have some power of the lightning, I think. I still have lot of that material(lot was burned in sauna, not the brightest thing to do) and I have been thinking if I should use it in mojo bags, maybe in dust form.

Maybe it could be used for wand, even though I think other trees are often preferred instead of spruce(?)

On a side note, PS3, PC and router were destroyed by that lightning. Years after that, I found out that the disk of the PC wasn't broken, only the motherboard and PSU.
Can you tell more about birch in the Finnish folklore or point me to sources/books/websites?

Seimulluh

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
Can you tell more about birch in the Finnish folklore or point me to sources/books/websites?
I think lot of it is in Finnish but here are some links at least:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

(article uses these as book sources)
Taivaannaula (
)
Lönnrot, Elias. (2011). Magic Songs of the Finns. Jon Hällström.

(looks like same "journalist" as in previous link)

(similar stuff in slavic lore, seems to be in other places also)

Roots of birch can be of course used to journey to lower or under world and top of the tree for journey to upper world. Russian word for birch(tree) apparently means also protection.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
There was an online "secret" group, maybe the Odin Brotherhood or some such, that made a great deal of using wood from a lightning-struck tree. I think that'd be the cat's-a**, too. Such trees are hard to find. Hereabouts, I never saw any and thuderstorms are frequent, with plenty of wind-felled trunks.
I vaguely remember hearing about making runes out of nut baring tree’s that were struck by lightening, it may have been Wands but that was many years ago. Thanks for bringing that up! I completely forgot about that.

AlfrunGrima

Neophyte
Reaction score
Awards
I think lot of it is in Finnish but here are some links at least:

(article uses these as book sources)
Taivaannaula (
)
Lönnrot, Elias. (2011). Magic Songs of the Finns. Jon Hällström.

(looks like same "journalist" as in previous link)

(similar stuff in slavic lore, seems to be in other places also)

Roots of birch can be of course used to journey to lower or under world and top of the tree for journey to upper world. Russian word for birch(tree) apparently means also protection.
Thank you very much for sharing this!

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I vaguely remember hearing about making runes out of nut baring tree’s that were struck by lightening, it may have been Wands but that was many years ago. Thanks for bringing that up! I completely forgot about that.
I recall now. It the wood for one's self-initiation fire that were to come from a lightning struck tree.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
I recall now. It the wood for one's self-initiation fire that were to come from a lightning struck tree.
I looked up the nut bearing tree thing, it says runes are typically crafted from them but it omitted anything about lightning so it’s good to know where the lightning aspect comes from.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I looked up the nut bearing tree thing, it says runes are typically crafted from them but it omitted anything about lightning so it’s good to know where the lightning aspect comes from.
Like I said, there is a website calling itself The Odin Brotherhood that had an involved self-initiation that called for a lightning-struck tree. If you couldn't find one, that was one sign you weren't fit material for them. They made a great deal of secrecy, the only permissible form of contact being via their forum. The gent behind it is an academic rated quite highly by "Rate My Professor," Mark Mirabello. He has a few publications, mostly about secret societies.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
Like I said, there is a website calling itself The Odin Brotherhood that had an involved self-initiation that called for a lightning-struck tree. If you couldn't find one, that was one sign you weren't fit material for them. They made a great deal of secrecy, the only permissible form of contact being via their forum. The gent behind it is an academic rated quite highly by "Rate My Professor," Mark Mirabello. He has a few publications, mostly about secret societies.
I was just saying I looked at the aspect I had mixed up, I thought nut bearing trees struck by lightning was for making runes but omitted the lightning part. I see I was confusing that with The initiation you mentioned which calls for a lightning struck tree. It wasn’t that I couldn’t find it. It was that I wanted to recall where the nut bearing tree thing came from.
Post automatically merged:

But I still think making a wand out of a Holly, White Ash or Ebony Tree that was struck by lightning would be extremely awesome.

Xenophon

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I was just saying I looked at the aspect I had mixed up, I thought nut bearing trees struck by lightning was for making runes but omitted the lightning part. I see I was confusing that with The initiation you mentioned which calls for a lightning struck tree. It wasn’t that I couldn’t find it. It was that I wanted to recall where the nut bearing tree thing came from.
Post automatically merged:

But I still think making a wand out of a Holly, White Ash or Ebony Tree that was struck by lightning would be extremely awesome.
A lot of works on runes mention making runes from nut or fruit trees. I seem to recall Edred Thorson/Stephen Flowers' books being one. He's the gent that has probably plumbed the older literature most thoroughly.

Shade

Organized Chaos
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
A lot of works on runes mention making runes from nut or fruit trees. I seem to recall Edred Thorson/Stephen Flowers' books being one. He's the gent that has probably plumbed the older literature most thoroughly.
Yeah Thorson’s name comes up everywhere when looking for books on runes or he’s quoted as a source quite a bit.

RoccoR

Zealot
Benefactor
Reaction score
Awards
RE: Wands
SUBTOPIC: Fabrication, et al,

Shade said:
Does anyone have a favorite type of wood for their wand/s?
(COMMENT)

and #4
Hazel Wood...

1611604183365.png

Most Respectfully,
R