• Hi guest! As you can see, the new Wizard Forums has been revived, and we are glad to have you visiting our site! However, it would be really helpful, both to you and us, if you registered on our website! Registering allows you to see all posts, and make posts yourself, which would be great if you could share your knowledge and opinions with us! You could also make posts to ask questions!

Book Discussion What Are You Reading (Occult)

Talk about a book(s)

Lyssia

Apprentice
Reaction score
I’m terrible with reading only one book at a time, so I’ve got several going. IIH, the Exorcist’s Handbook, Encyclopedia of Celtic Wisdom to name a few.
Me too. I just finished The Way of Fire and Ice, but am also working my way through Claude Lecouteaux (though that's not technically occult), and am painfully creeping my way through Liber Null and Psychonaut.

Finally found my IIH, though. Turns out, I had to get it on the Kindle. I totally forgot I gave in and got it that way, and spent two months going through every book I own in search of a hard copy. Having found it, I figure I'd better actually start it. 😆

Scottish_Pride

Meme-y Tree Nymph
Reaction score
Awards
Finally found my IIH, though. Turns out, I had to get it on the Kindle. I totally forgot I gave in and got it that way, and spent two months going through every book I own in search of a hard copy. Having found it, I figure I'd better actually start it. 😆
Lol yeah, I was insistent on a hard copy since I'm weird about that. And so I ended up paying like $40 for a paperback. Definitely treat those copies like gold! XD

vetriol

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
Ahem, you might want to specify the full title of IIH for those who might not know what you're talking about..
Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon

vetriol

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
I've been stuck on the first fucking exercise for over a year, because being able to consistently focus is the #1 weakness for my ADHD ass. Lol
Sometimes IIH can take years of practice. Try instead lesser, easier exercises which take a shorter time.

Mart

Acolyte
Reaction score
Awards
Initiation into Hermetics by Franz Bardon
Yes, that has been answered several times now. I only wrote that comment to remind people not to shorthand everything, which can make learning for beginners incredibly frustrating.

NorthMage

Neophyte
Reaction score
Today i ripped through Prometheus Rising - Robert Anton Wilson , What a fucking ride guyz. Anyone Else have the pleasure? Lays out tim learys 8 circuits in a cynical/unknowing of the future way. Quite a humorous.
Me too. I just finished The Way of Fire and Ice, but am also working my way through Claude Lecouteaux (though that's not technically occult), and am painfully creeping my way through Liber Null and Psychonaut.

--Awe, Liber Null is next on my chopping block, i was quite excited for it. Ive heard it has some great Tech, no worrd of it being painful tho. :? XD

Incognitus

Lead Transcriber
Reaction score
Awards
Reading The Magicians Workbook by Steve Savedow and Magick in Theory and Practice by Crowley. These are re-reads that I'm using for book reports on the forum. It's getting to the holiday season, so I probably wont be able to update those threads every day.

Jaide

Apprentice
Reaction score
Awards
I'm reading Green Witchcraft: Folk Magic, Fairy Lore, & Herb Craft by Ann Moura (again) and studying Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs.

Konsciencia

Disciple
Reaction score
Awards
I was reading Healing with Light frequencies by Jerry Sargeant. It is a wonderful book, but I stop due to the fact, that I am working with my Higher Self to get some answers rather than go to a book for answers. Many blessings!!

ryen

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Currently on “Healing Lost Souls: Releasing Unwanted Spirits from Your Energy Body” by William J. Baldwin. Fascinating read about psychological disorders being influenced by past-life traumas and/or attached entities.

Reaction score
I am a neophyte working on my mindset (hahaha). Golden Dawn loves Eliphas Levi (even though Waite critiqued the hell out of him, and his points were good). I am currently reading a compilation organized by Arthur Edward Waite (secret fanboy) called Mysteries of Magic including a critical essay on Levi's works. I tend to read occult books in sections then meditate on my findings and see how it affects everyday life (as above, so below). Needless to say, occult books are explosive to the mind in a liberating way. It has helped me with my levels of compassion for how individuals interpret the world respective to their level of consciousness since if you were to approach some nihilist and bombard them with occult knowledge, they would definitely regard you as a lunatic and call the police (illustrated with Oedipus and the Sphinx, the figures on the Wheel of Fortune amalgamating into a sphinx which I never knew lol). I was also confused about the Two Pillars (the Duad) until Levi explained how Unity (God or the cause) can only be manifested as the Duad (unity + idea/"perception" of = 2). It also gave me some insight on the importance of the Tetrad but that was my last point in reading.
Levi was an occultist who mentioned the false duality between God/idealism and Satan/materialism since Satan's name is God's written backwards and Satan is really below mankind (who has the Divine spark within) and fed when mankind gives him power. The darkness/materialism is the shadow that the light casts.
Note: I know that some people venerate Satan as Luciferian and Lucifer as a deity differs from Satan.
One thing we must all beware of with respect to occult books are the ones that are grossly misinformed and pillaged with politics for the sake of accessibility (New Age which was initially not that bad and has adulterated into something horrible) and the ones written by the more objective minds who try to explain the occult as a science (Crowley explains why the occult is incompatible with science, since the occult is beyond the flawed logical reasoning of the human mind).
I am sorry if I was too rambley in my "experience" with Eliphas Levi... but...

Heliona

Neophyte
Reaction score
Ok I read Kybalion and now reading Seven Spheres from Rufus Opus and I recommend both very dearly. So if you may have your hands on those books, they would lighten your day/s.

Mider2009

Apostle
Reaction score
Awards
Ramchal not a book on how to do magic but how to refine personality traits. The book is

Mesillas Yesharim​

The Ramchal, Moshe Chaim Luzzato was a Kabbalist in the 17th century who claimed he had magids or spirit guides.

Yazata

Site Staff
Staff member
Jr. Staff Member
Archivist
Benefactor
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
De Wijsheid van Bomen Kruiden ("the Wisdom of Trees and Herbs") by Abe J. van der Veen. I doubt there's an English version.
Last year I ordered some Mandrake seed and stumbled upon an excerpt from this book. I really like how he connects things and weaves a story.
It includes a recipe for flying ointment from 1456 among other interesting things.

vetriol

Banned
Banned
Warned
Probation
Reaction score
Awards
A very good book is Joe Dispenza Becoming supernatural. I really recommend it to everyone.

WisdomAddict

Zealot
Reaction score
Awards
Im currently reading
Harmonies of Heaven and Earth Mysticism in Music from Antiquity to the Avant-Garde
I dont know if its count as an occult book
But its related to music of spheres and celestial music
A topic that bugged me almost my entire life...

The God-King

The Mystical Rebel
Vendor
Reaction score
Awards
Reading two books right now, shuffling between them:

Between The Gates: Lucid Dreaming, Astral Projection and the Body of Light in Western Esotericism

Hermetic Magic: The Postmodern Magical Papyrus of Abaris

BachausMaximus

Neophyte
Reaction score
the Book of Abrasax by Nephilim Press, it is an interesting book about an ancient and obscure tradition. This appeals to my interest in the older European and Western magical traditions. I'll post an update when I finish it.